Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
surryscott

AppleAirport2.kext missing

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. My laptop is missing the "AppleAirport2.kext" file from /System/Library/Extensions.

Can anyone advise me on how I should go about restoring this file to make my Airport card function again?

Thanks,
surryscott
surryscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

You could use the 3rd-party utility "Pacifist" (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract the files you need from your Install CD/DVD. But it would probably be easier and safer if you just did an "archive and install" from the Install CD/DVD being sure to select the option to preserve users. This will keep all your user files and just replace the OS X system files and applications.
You should run Software Update afterwards to get your system up to date again.
It would be best if you did a backup of your user files first - just in case something goes wrong.

One reason why I say it would be safer to do an archive & install instead of Pacifist is that there might be other files missing.
Do you have any idea how/why the kext got lost?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
surryscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Do you have any idea how/why the kext got lost?

Thanks so much for your advice. The restore worked fine (although the system updates were enormous!) and now the AirPort is functioning properly again.

I have no idea how it went missing. I used the AirPort in a meeting yesterday morning, and then when I got home it had stopped working.

surryscott
surryscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
voldenuit
League Commissioner

I'd strongly suggest to boot off the install media and run Disk Utility - repair disk.
Disappearing files may be a symptom of filesystem corruption and you definitely want to catch that as early as possible.
voldenuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldenuit
I'd strongly suggest to boot off the install media and run Disk Utility - repair disk.
Disappearing files may be a symptom of filesystem corruption and you definitely want to catch that as early as possible.

I agree - I should have suggested this above.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
skootaman

Thumbs up Kext file problems - extensions cannot be used...

Just joined and wanted to say thanks!

Last weekend my iBook - for no good reason, started to say 'system extensions unusuable - AppleAirPort2.Kext incorrectly installed.

Having searched for solutions that didn't involve spending money, I noticed the remark, 'repair disk permissions' as this may be an early sign of file corruption, I gave it a go. It had been running quite badly so I went through the process:

Log in as a different (clean) user, repaired disk permissions, the logged back in as myself and made airport status visible in the task bar, and verified the permissions.

After a restart, which took a while, all worked again. I was then able to identify a further problem (with fasterfox) using activity monitor, and my ibook lives to see another day.

So thanks, and I hope this is useful to others - from a PC background, this is an odd symptom of HDD problems (to me) but this is a good nil expense place to start with unidentified problems.

Thanks, again.
skootaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
alex62089
Prospect

Unhappy Still doesn't work

Kismac installs its own driver in place of the airport driver and reinstalls the apple driver upon quitting the application. I installed Kismac and it crashed. My airport card was rendered driverless and useless.

When i rebooted I got a message saying that the appleairport2.kext file was not installed properly or missing. I tried using pacifist to replace the appleairport.kext and appleairport2.kext files. My computer still thinks that there is no APcard present.

are there any other files that pertain to the airport card?

what can i do?
alex62089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
lexx
Prospect

Here's the deal:

1) Kismac is dangerous in the hands of people like you & Me. Uninstall it

The solution is:

a) In Pacifist, drop install disk 1 into the package opener
b) Type "Appleairport" in the search field of install disk
c) Select ALL files pertaining to the search and install.
d) Type "Appleairport2.kext" in the search field of install disk
e) Select ALL files pertaining to the search and install.

Now you have re-installed the whole Airport driver system. Just replacing / re -installing Appleairport2.kext will no solve the problem.

Finally, re-start your MAC and click "change all" when promted by the sytem to keep all your passwords etc.

You are now connected again.

BTW: If you ring apple they will want you to do a complete system install. This is insane if you dont own a 200GB external drive to back up to. So follow those steps and you will be sweet.

And don't muck around with Kismac lol
lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
alex62089
Prospect

Thanks lexx

thats exactly what i did and I haven't been using Kismac :-/
alex62089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
lexx
Prospect

I say thanks to this forum as I spent 4 days pondering how to solve this prob before I found you guys
lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
theunfrailhale
Prospect

This Is Great Advice

i ran into an issue with a friends computer that recently 'lost' his internet connection on both his iMac and his powerbook g4, however i was able to access his wifi without problems on my MBP. both were running 10.3.9 and apparently this happened to a couple others as i read on different forums i googled. all posts were as recent as may of 07, so i figured there was a botched update, or install of an update. One person said all he did was remove his appleairport.kext files and then re-insert them after a reboot to fix his problem. Yeeeaaah.... im not sure what OS he's using but that didnt work. Tried re-installing the airport via the airport install disk ( the cards were purchased separately) but it said it was allready installed. Long story short, thanks to MacOSXHints forum and the posters that make things happen, I was able to effectively find and apply the above mentioned solution.

THANK YOU PACIFIST! and thank you lexx!

i assume that this could be used to "re-inject" any broken .kext files... not that im going to go deleting any....

thanks to the above posters. you saved my day!

Dave
theunfrailhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
theluked

I installed KisMac and now I have that same problem with appleairport2.kext. Another problem is that my disk drive is broken so I can't use the install disk.

Does anyone know how I can re-install appleairport2.kext and get my airport card working again??
theluked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #13
rockgardenlove
Prospect

Im having the same problem...heres what I did:
Kismac-froze because it couldnt find some driver.
Restarted computer
Worked fine for two days
Did most recent system update.
Restarted.

Now I have the missing .kext file.

Im on vacation in Switzerland and I didnt bring my install disk...so I cant fix it that way...

(Btw, sorry about the lack of apostrophies, I couldnt find the key on this foreign keyboard.)

Thanks!
rockgardenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
rockgardenlove
Prospect

Nobody?

Surely there must be a way...
Thanks!
rockgardenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #15
ScanHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldenuit

This did the trick for me.
ScanHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: