Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 08-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
kopusx
Prospect

When mac users change Icons on a shared AFP drive it changes the icons on all the com

When mac users change Icons on a shared AFP drive it changes the icons on all the computers, is there a way to make the other icons not to change?

Whenever a user changes the icons on an AFP shared drive, (It sits on a windows base file server) in the Mac is networked as an AFP network drive, when a user changed his/her icon, the icon on every computer changes. is there a way to stop that?
kopusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
voldenuit
Hall of Famer

Unless you take away his write permissions, no.
voldenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
SvenW
Triple-A Player

Easy one: Change the icon yourself to a default one. Then, on the Windows server, make sure the users don't have write access to the files .DS_Store and .VolumeIcons.icns in the root dir of the share. These files doesn't exist if no one ever tried to customize the icon, changed the finder view etc, so you have to do it yourself once in order to create these files.

R/O access for .VolumeIcons.icns is the minimal requirement, but also locking .DS_Store disables the users from rearranging the finder view, creating labels etc. for everyone.

Drawback of all this: No one can change the icon now (or create labels etc), which is guarenteed to annoy some (l)users, namely the ones that created the problem in the first place.
SvenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
Cheech'i
Major Leaguer

The end result is the Mac user annoying everyone else who uses that directory; whether it means changing the icon or littering the share with .DS_Store (I find the latter significantly more annoying). Just because we see Thumbs.db here and there doesn't mean that it's ok to act in kind. Is the icon so important in the first place? I've only ever felt the need to change alias icons, aside from my HD (the one icon on my desktop). I have most of my non-system data on all my computers on various network shares, both at home and work; I don't really feel the need or desire to change icons and think it's more or less a waste to bother. Make yourself an alias and change that icon if you so desire.

unfortunately this is traditionally one of those Windows vs Mac things... but it's the Linux user in the end who suffers most for having to put up with both!

Last edited by Cheech'i; 08-25-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Cheech'i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
SvenW
Triple-A Player

Well, my users never see any .DS_store files in Windows, since hidden files are not shown to them (I never heard a complaint about that..).

Even in modern Linux distros, normal users shouldn't see dot files by default, so they would not be affected as well.

But in the end: MacOS is creating those files not to annoy users, but because of shortcoming of both Windows and Linux: The lack of resource forks. These are (IMHO) quite a good idea to store additional metadata for files. The finders uses them to store previews, the color labels introduced in Tiger (or was it Panther?), spotlight comments and so on.

In fact, NTFS offers a similar concept called Alternate data streams to store ACLs and stuff like that, and I am wondering why MS isn't using this with their FileServices for Macintosh, getting rid of .DS_Store and Co.
SvenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Cheech'i
Major Leaguer

While it is true that these files are not intended to be an annoyance, very often they become one. For example, often when accessing remote fille servers, the server (usually Windows or Samba, emulating a Windows file system*) displays hidden system files of other systems (usually OS X) that it does not understand. On my OS X system, I have an addon (Blueharvest and at least one other, I think Onyx does this) that attempts to block the creation of these files across different networked directories; before I began using these programs, I was constantly moving files and having each time to give permission to overwrite .DS_Store with .DS_Store and you can imagine the frustration caused. This is on both Linux and Windows, very modern versions of each. I like to be a power user on my systems, and perhaps that affects my ability to see these files, but regardless, I find resource forks largely a good idea but poorly implemented in their current state. Just an opinion, but it's not a shortcoming at all to choose not to use (or want) files of this type in an OS. Just as it is a shortcoming of Windows to create Thumbs.db on remote directories it accesses, since it is the only OS that uses this file.

I was mostly asking the question why bother changing the icon on the server, the rest was my own take on why not to do it. It would, as I see it, be more effective for the user to handle this with an alias, where the fork would only exist on the OS that can use it.

* I know that SMB does not emulate a Windows FS per se. It is, however, often guilty of the same shortcomings as a Windows share. It's kind of a joke.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
kopusx
Prospect

I just wanted to thank you for the quick responses, that was very insightful, and use full, and yes it was annoying because I have several users, (Mac) and a lot of windows users, the windows user do not see this files, (Unless the view hidden files is checked) so it does not bother them, but for other Mac users, when one changes the icon to wherever, it is very annoying.
kopusx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: