Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
tom stratton
Prospect

Question read/write problems with AFP sevices

We have just started using OSX server (hardware and software)

We have a large number of users who need to be able to read and write each others files without restriction, and very inexperienced administrator (ME!)

The best I have been able to do so far is set up each of the drives (other than the boot volume) on the server as share points using AFP and have all the users sign on as guests.

It seems that we get very unpredictable behvior in terms of reliably being able to read and write to the files on the server. In one case a user created a photoshop file, and then was unable to save over the same file name because the priveledges were incorrec t.

For now I am manually resetting all priveledges to all read/write every morning.

I just don't see why this is happening and how to fix it.

Is there a way to set the default priveledges that are created when a user creates a file on the server?

Is there a better way to have people log in? When we started we had individual log-ins for each user and they could only then work on their own files.

Why doesn't the group for a created file reflect the group of the user that created it and allow others in that group to R/W that file?

Should I instead be using WebDav or some other sharing schema?

Hlep me obi wan kenobi - the apple docs are entirely unclear!
tom stratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 07:31 PM   #2
nrufa
Prospect

Question

Sorry, no solid answer just yet, but I wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat and actively looking for a solution.

I was came across a possible lead today that deals with drive formatting and permissions. I will post anything I find.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
morphis
Triple-A Player

write problems with AFP sevices

In >Workgroup Manager|Sharing|Share Points
What are your settings for General and Protocols|AFP
e.g. my are
<General>
Share this item and its contents = true
Owner = admin | rw <--Or what ever is your admin account
Group = staff | rw <--The default group all users are by default part of this group
Everyone | None <--If you don't want unauthorised access
Enable disk quotas on this volume = false
</General>
<AFP Protocol>
Share this item using AFP = true <--Do I need to say
Allow AFP guest access = false <--If you don't want unathorised access
Custom AFP name = Storage <--What ever you want
Use standard UNIX behaviour <--Default & works
</AFP Protocol>
morphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Franco64
Prospect

Ok what version of OS X Server are you using???

with 10.2 and 10.3 (which i think is a lot better) go to workgroup manager and select sharing, select the share point and select protocols make sure that inherit permissions from parent is ticked, this should resolve your permission problems (well some times). I also use a program which I think is brilliant called chop, you can get it from macupdate. It's a brilliant piece of software that will allow you to simply drag&drop the folder and subsquent sub folders and files to those permissions. Another method is using cronix a cron GUI that will allow you to run specific tasks at certain times and is also used in repairing permissions.

hope this helps
Franco64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
GeoffreyKOBrien
Triple-A Player

Yoiu need to change the umask for that folder, so when files are created they take the permissions of the folder and not of the user.
GeoffreyKOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
n00badmin
Prospect

You can take what I say with a grain of salt because I am a n00badmin, but here it is anyway.

I worked with Server 10.1 to 10.3 and 10.3 is far better then the previous versions, but because of the problem I had with the older versions I still implement the same approach.

We keep things a bit simple. We have all the shares in one folder and give the same owner, group and write privileges to all.

The owner will always be the "admin" with "read/write"
The group will always be (lets just say) "clients" "read/write" "15-20 user accounts in the group"
And everyone is "read only" "only one account (letís say {allusers}"

The "clients" group was for the administrators to modify and data for the shares and everyone "allusers" has access to read the data. Please understand that the server manages the users locally.

We copy it to all the sub folders.

Then we have a script that runs every night that re-affirms all of the above.

We do this because in the older OS X servers, when OS X clients were to copy data off then back on the client takes ownership (which is normal for UNIX), but that cause havoc for us.

I hope it helps you in some way.

from the n00badmin
n00badmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: