Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > Tweaking OS X / Wish List

Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
ddauerbach
Prospect

How do I change the folder icon color in column view?

I've tried various things (including automator routines) but I don't see any setting anywhere for changing the icon color in Finder's column view. I must be missing something...
ddauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You have several choices to change the label color.
Under the File menu, or in the Get Info window, or a Control(right)-click on the file will allow to to change the label color.
There is no means within the finder to change the color of the icon itself, as there had been in OS 9. You can use various icon utilities to change the color of an icon, or simply replace the icon with another icon, but without that, only the label can be colored.
Does this answer your question?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
chabig
Hall of Famer

You can also use the Action button in the Finder's window toolbar. It's the one that looks like a gear.

Chris
chabig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
ddauerbach
Prospect

So, I'm not crazy. There's no way to do it. (Not interested in label color; I want a wholesale way to change to the folder icon in column view.) So, anyone know a utility aimed at this problem?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Go to iconfactory.com
Lots of resources there. You will find huge numbers of icons that you can use to change your icons to anything else. There are several types of software for either modifying the icons that you have, or changing your icons completely, using CandyBar. All the information is at that site.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
mark hunte
MVP

Labels x maybe what you are looking for.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16522
mark hunte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
ddauerbach
Prospect

Weird. All I want is to darken the folder icon in column view so that I can see it clearly and I have to *buy* software to do this?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddauerbach
Weird. All I want is to darken the folder icon in column view so that I can see it clearly and I have to *buy* software to do this?

That's your choice - it's shareware....
You can also search at other software download sites to find some other software that will do that.

The icons in column view (which you can also turn off) are quite small. changing the color will probably not make them more visible. What's your real reason for needing to see the icons in column view (which is primarily a text view)?
OS X is quite customizable, but the software developers that provide an easy way to do some things often want to get paid for their time. Most don't have a problem with that.

Last edited by DeltaMac; 07-02-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Here you go... hack away:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

-HI-
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #10
ddauerbach
Prospect

Changing folder icon color in column view

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
That's your choice - it's shareware....
You can also search at other software download sites to find some other software that will do that.

The icons in column view (which you can also turn off) are quite small. changing the color will probably not make them more visible. What's your real reason for needing to see the icons in column view (which is primarily a text view)?
OS X is quite customizable, but the software developers that provide an easy way to do some things often want to get paid for their time. Most don't have a problem with that.

My Real Reason??? I stated it. Here it is more clearly: When I'm navigating in column view I'd like to, a easy glance, distinguish folders from files. Between the size and the low contrast color, this isn't easy. It's a speed issue for me. Clear enough? There are a zillion customizable things that don't require an overkill software solution; for some reason I thought this might be one.
Thanks for telling me I'm stupid for wanting this.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
My Real Reason??? I stated it. Here it is more clearly: When I'm navigating in column view I'd like to, a easy glance, distinguish folders from files. Between the size and the low contrast color, this isn't easy. It's a speed issue for me. Clear enough? There are a zillion customizable things that don't require an overkill software solution; for some reason I thought this might be one.
Thanks for telling me I'm stupid for wanting this.

You are the only one that used that word. Most here have no intent to disrespect any Mac user, and I certainly do not.
Your question (now that I know what it is ) does, in fact, have an easier answer. You can instantly (and clearly) distinguish files from folders in column view, without even looking for an icon, and more easily than changing the icon color. Folders have a disclosure triangle to the right. Files do not. Thank you for providing more information about your request, it really did help.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
sneha

Not workin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Here you go... hack away:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

-HI-

Hi HI
Got 2 problemos with that.
a. There's no coretypes.bundle file within CoreServices, and
b. What do I do once I get there?
I'm using a OS 10.2.8
Tried looking for serials - didn't find any
Peace!
SK
sneha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneha
Hi HI
Got 2 problemos with that.
a. There's no coretypes.bundle file within CoreServices, and
b. What do I do once I get there?
I'm using a OS 10.2.8
Tried looking for serials - didn't find any
Peace!
SK

Much of what is already mentioned in this thread does not apply to your 10.2.8, as the functions are not included.
The suggestion to try some third party software, such as Candybar, or some of the other icon-editing software would work great for you. go to versiontracker.com, and search for icon
Here's one example - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12427