Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 06-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
highpass
Prospect

Question Printer Defaults (Standard setting)

Back in the days of OS 9 and previous, all printer dialogs had a 'Save Settings' button for the currently selected printer.

With OS X however, this button is no longer available, and instead, we have 'Presets'.
Whilst Presets do their job perfectly, they do not replace the job of the 'Save Settings' button.

Our problem is this; we have a number of printers here at the office, all of which are colour capable. When printing drafts etc, we obviously prefer to use black & white output due to the increase in costs when printing in colour.

Whilst yes, it might be simple enough to save a black & white preset and remember to switch to that every time we print, this doesn't fair well with the older members of our workforce that often forget to check such things.

I've spoken with Apple, and have perused through their discussions support page, but have not found any fixes for said issue.

Is it at all possible to change the 'Standard' preset so that it defaults to black & white?
Failing that, can anyone think of a workaround for this?

Cheers
highpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
brianwc
Prospect

I have the same problem!

I have the same problem. I want to edit (or Delete) the "Standard" printer setting so that I can make black and white printing the default. For me it is purely a speed issue--my printer is MUCH faster at black and white printing than it is color. Of course, I wouldn't mind saving costly color ink too.

I cannot believe Apple cannot resolve this. Anyone have a fix?

Brian
brianwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
the_lenny
Prospect

There is a way to define a standard preset.

You have to edit the file "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.plist" either with the Property List Editor (part of the Developer Tools from the system cd) or a good text editor like Textwrangler, Smultron, BBedit ...

For some reason editing the file with a text editor didn't work correctly for me anymore after playing around with it. The content of the file was still shown, but not as nicely formatted as before. It seems to be converted to binary. This can be solved by using a tool like "PLTools" (=> macupdate.com), but then you can only edit the file with vi. This is somewhat complicated for beginners, I recommend installing the Developer Tools.

Anyways, let's go:
Before you change the file, you have to create the preset you want to use as standard. After that you open the "com.apple.print.custompresets.plist"-file with the Property List Editor.
The only thing you should see right now is "Root". Click on the triangle in front of that. There should be the line "com.apple.print.lastPresetPref" with the string "Standard" in the "Value" column. Change these string by doubleclicking on it. Enter the exact name of the preset you created before. Close and save the file, and you're done.

Every time you open the printing dialogue the chosen preset should be selected automatically.

Hope this helps!
the_lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
for56gt
Prospect

preset default

Followed last direction to the letter and the the result is that the selected preset open the first time in the print windows . After that it s always the last selected choice which opens by default

Any more hints? Thanks
for56gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
mriv
Prospect

I wish my printer would default to the last setting. Now, it always opens in landscape mode, and I have to change it every time to the regular letter size mode. Wasn't like this when I first go the computer 3 months ago.
mriv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: