Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
craig_w
Prospect

I am attempting to integrate a MAC into our Microsoft network (for the first time!), and when binding, I am getting a password and username error, but these are correct!

Step 1 of 5 will complete (searching for forest/domain information), and step 2 of 5 also completes (finding nearest domain controllers). Step 3 then starts (Veryfying credentials) when I get the following error:

"Invalid username and password combination - You provided a user name and password combination that is invalid. You should check the user name and password and try again"

The username and password are correct, and the account has full admin rights!

I have updated the Tiger OS to 10.4.6, but this didnt help. We are using Microsoft Server 2003.

Any ideas?
craig_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
strunx
Prospect

Bindingto AD

I suggest you hop over to http://www.macwindows.com and follow the Mac and AD instructions you find there. Turned out to be quite helpful to me.
strunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
yellow

We have a huge thread on AD and Tiger here.

I suspect it's one of 2 things.

1) The computer object wasn't created ahead of time in the OU. This sometimes splats the error you see (incorrectly). Does the comptuer object exist?

2) The admin account MUST be in the same domain as the computer you're trying to bind. If you have multiple domains, you should try and create an admin one in the same domain that you're trying to bind to.

Otherwise, here's the link to that thread:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=41042
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
craig_w
Prospect

So are you saying that I need to manually add the MAC to active directory before I attempt to bind?

Also, how to you find out the name of the MAC? Is this what is specified when binding, when you enter Computer ID?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
craig_w
Prospect

I have now tried adding the Mac manually in Active Directory first, but that didnt work. The admin account that I am using is in the same domain as the computer I am trying to bind.

Any more ideas, I seem to be going round in circles!
Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_w
Also, how to you find out the name of the MAC? Is this what is specified when binding, when you enter Computer ID?

It's FQDN in DNS.

Also, you may want to investigate using "dsconfigad" in the command line to try and force the binding.

Last edited by yellow; 06-26-2006 at 11:44 AM.
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
kopusx
Prospect

No, when you bind teh OSX to AD, make sure that the account you are using to bind the computer, has Admin rights to the domain, The first time it asks, it may be asking for the local account, the second time it ask, you must use an AD account that has AD admin rights, also wich os Version are you using, ? I had some trouble with 10.4....but the latest updates on the Mac, ver 10.4.6 works very good.
kopusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
craig_w
Prospect

This is what I dont understand, the account Im am using to bind has full admin rights. It has been used to add Microsoft machines to the domain. We are using Tiger 10.4.6. We are complete novices with Macs. We have followed various instructions which are supposed to work. Just cant get passed verifying credentials.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: