Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 05-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Bad Apple
Prospect

home & end keys (PC convert seeks function)

i have recently moved to mac

trouble is, i am so used to using the home and end keys, and the apple-left, apple-right method is no good for highlighting huge lines of code quickly, can i set the page up down buttons, or any other single button to perform the same function as either the home or end keys on XP system?
Bad Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
styrafome
Hall of Famer

I use Shift-Apple-left and Shift-Apple-right to select entire lines. Adding the up and down arrows extends the selection to adjacent lines.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

QuicKeys is your friend.
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Bad Apple
Prospect

if i uninstall quickkeys, will my choices remain?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

No, QuicKeys is both the editing tool and the trigger-trapping & playback mechanism. No QK, no playback.
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

QuickKeys is a crutch for what this guy needs. He should get comfy with how Mac OS X does these things, because it's actually really flexible--as demonstrated already by styrafome. Learning a QK hack is just going to slow his immersion to the platform.

As for home and end, I've never seen a Windows machine that /selected/ text with those keys. Only seen it move the cursor.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Bad Apple
Prospect

i am not saying they select, but with one button you have performed the job of two on a mac, so when selecting (as apposed to just moving the cursor) rather than it being a three button job (cumbersome and massivley counter-intuitive) it only requires two (swift, and easy to do without looking away from yoru monitor.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
SpinyNorman
Prospect

Really now, three buttons does not take something from "swift" to "cumbersome & counter-intuitive"... You're just being stubborn now.

All kidding aside, really, it's not that big of a difference. It's just a matter of learning it. Two of the keys are side-by-side, and the other one is in the same place it would be on a PC. I never find myself having to look away from the monitor to use it to select.

If you're going to make the switch, you would be doing yourself a huge disservice to not give it a shot for awhile. All of the shortcuts are quite intuitive, it's just a matter of training yourself.
SpinyNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
Bad Apple
Prospect

so the diagonal arrows next to page up/down. what is the point of them?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
chris_on_hints
Major Leaguer

Hey Bad_Apple -

you have hit the nail on the head here. I wasnt aware of the apple-left key combo for home until reading this thread. I have had a G4 desktop since 2002 and always been infuriated that the home and end keys do NOTHING, except for in Word, where they work as expected.

Why dont those keys map to apple-left/apple-right... the functionality is there, and I have been thinking that those keys not working are an obvious thorn in the side for potential switchers (as this thread can testify)

i wonder if we can use the keyboard shortcuts to define them?? i will try when i have time...
chris_on_hints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #11
chris_on_hints
Major Leaguer

answer - no, you cannot do it with the keyboard preference pane, as this links to menu items only.

BUT, i have just done it with Butler. any of you switchers should check it out - a donationware program to do everything you can think of - run apps when you hit a button, control programs at the hit of an f-key (itunes start/stop etc). and you can define 'keystrokes' where you press one key and it will press any key combo you want.

aaaah, first time in 4 years, home and end work properly. I wonder if anyone has filed a bug report with apple on this?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
Bad Apple
Prospect

where can i find this butler of which you speak?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Apple
where can i find this butler of which you speak?

http://www.google.com/search?q=butler+%22os+x%22

Or www.macupdate.com
Or www.versiontracker.com
Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
tehsuck
Prospect

I know this thread is old, but I'll have to say that after a few days with my Mac Pro, I am really missing the home / end / page-up / page-down functionality of my PC keyboard. I code a lot and I miss these keys immensly. I hope apple will someday soon at least let people configure these keys to work as they should.
tehsuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #15
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsuck
I code a lot and I miss these keys immensly. I hope apple will someday soon at least let people configure these keys to work as they should.

Almost all text editors allow you to configure the key mappings.
For editors implemented with Cocoa, see this macosxhints article:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60317045211408
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
ThreeBKK
MVP

Quote:
I am really missing the home / end / page-up / page-down functionality of my PC keyboard…

Did you notice that function+left arrow=home, and funtion+right arrow=end?
I am on a PowerBook keyboard, so the layout is slightly different than the Apple Pro keyboards, but I'm sure you've got it too.

➤ Think it's a good idea to put your most intimate data on someone else's server?
Macmini5,2 2.7 GHz Core i7 Snow Leopard Mtn. Lion
ThreeBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Bad Apple
Prospect

yeah, but what doubles as page up and page down?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
schwartze
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Apple
yeah, but what doubles as page up and page down?

Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
schwartze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
chris_on_hints
Major Leaguer

the 'apple' + arrow key is a nice way to do it, and on the laptops is fine (as they dont have specific home/end keys).

BUT on a full sized keyboard, its crazy to have the buttons there and have them do NOTHING.

Along with two-button mice, this home/end sillyness must be a real shock to switchers.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #20
chris_on_hints
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsuck
I know this thread is old, but I'll have to say that after a few days with my Mac Pro, I am really missing the home / end / page-up / page-down functionality of my PC keyboard. I code a lot and I miss these keys immensly. I hope apple will someday soon at least let people configure these keys to work as they should.

old thread maybe, but still a valid point.

either follow haynes' guidance with tweaking the cocoa info (above), or get yourself butler and set it to send an 'apple'+arrow event for the home/end keys. It works for me, and you can get it to send different key presses for each app.

oh, and butler does lots more besides, so check it out (or quicksilver, which is also popular)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: