Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 03-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
thelouisguy
Prospect

Question Sharing Safari Bookmarks with Bonjour

Hello,

Is there a way to share Safari bookmarks using accross a Bonjour network? In the Safari bookmarks there is a Bonjour section which I cannot access (edit). It just has one "About Bonjour" link. Is there a way to add bookmarks in that section or to add them somewhere in my library folder (or shared folder) so that other computers on the network would be able to have access to my bookmarks?

Thank you in advance.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
tbsingleton73
MVP

I found this link that seems to suggest that it will and is easy to setup. I don't have a second Mac to test this out.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
thelouisguy
Prospect

Thank you for the article. I emailed the author and will share anything that he has to say.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
regulus6633
Major Leaguer

Bonjour is not for sharing bookmarks. Apple's Bonour website http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/ says this about it relating to safari...
---------------------------------
Safari, Apple’s turbo-charged web browser, uses Bonjour to find any web addresses on your local network — for printer, router or webcam setup and administration, for instance
---------------------------------

As such I can think of 2 ways to share your bookmarks. 1) from the file menu in safari you can export your bookmarks which gives you a html file. Any web browser can open the html file, so you can put that file in your "Public" folder inside your home folder. Then anyone can connect as a guest to your computer and get the html file and load it in their browser. 2) you can move your actual bookmark file from ~/Library/Safari into the public folder. You'd then have to make an alias of the bookmark file and move the alias into your ~/Library/Safari folder. If the alias doesn't work then you might try a unix ln instead.
regulus6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
tbsingleton73
MVP

thelouisguy,

I came across this (Safari Menu) and I thought you would be interested.

"Safari Menu let's you view all your bookmarks from the Safari web browser system wide. This means that you can go to any site you've got in your bookmarks with just one click.
Additionally, you can directly go to any URL or search in the Google search engine and you can share your bookmarks over a local network using Rendezvous technology."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: