Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Old 02-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
VirtualWolf
Prospect

I've got Tiger Server installed on my Mac mini, and have set up Open Directory and portable home directories for syncing my laptop and desktop.

It's all working fine, apart from this: I'm trying to change the folders that are and aren't being synced, but it doesn't appear to be changing anything when I sync the clients.

I've looked inside the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HomeSync.plist files, and it's still as it was when I initially set it up.

My setup in Workgroup Manager looks like this:

Thanks!
VirtualWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Raven
Hall of Famer

Well there are a few things to check:

1. If your choosing to Merge with the User's settings, then if a file already exists on the client computer it probably just keeps whatever is on the clinet machine and doesn't take the newer info from the server
2. If you activate the Login/Logout synch it may push those new settings. You could even put it to Once to do this.
For more, you could always put the snapshots of the Options tab and the synchronisation tabs so we can have a global picture.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
VirtualWolf
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Well there are a few things to check:

1. If your choosing to Merge with the User's settings, then if a file already exists on the client computer it probably just keeps whatever is on the clinet machine and doesn't take the newer info from the server

Aye, I've tried it with that option both ticked and unticked, makes no difference.

Quote:
2. If you activate the Login/Logout synch it may push those new settings. You could even put it to Once to do this.

I've tried that, no change.

And even if it worked, wouldn't it just go back to syncing the wrong things when I either tell it to manually sync, or when a background sync happens?

Quote:
For more, you could always put the snapshots of the Options tab and the synchronisation tabs so we can have a global picture.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
VirtualWolf
Prospect

A quick update: I've looked in /Library/Managed Preferences/virtualwolf/, and com.apple.homeSync.plist contains the correct list of excluded files. Deleting the user and the LDAP bindings then re-adding and re-syncing it all didn't work.

I somehow managed to get the "Merge with user's settings" option to work on my G5, but it randomly stopped working. I went to the HomeSync menu extra and chose HomeSync Preferences, the window opened up and it was actually showing the dash for the Documents and Movies folder, indicating some sub-folders weren't being synced (which is correct). I synced, it worked fine. After that, though, I logged out and back in, and it was back to not working properly again.

I have no idea what I actually did, however, so I don't know how to get it going again. :\
Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
VirtualWolf
Prospect

Well!

It turns out the problem was that I was giving the portable users admin privileges (on the client machines, via System Preferences ("Allow user to administer this computer")). It appears that by doing that, it ignores the custom excluded-folders preference and uses the standard one (everything but ~/Library).

The only way I found to recover from it is (again on the client machine) to log into an alternate admin account, rename the portable user's home directory, delete the user from System Preferences, then rename the home folder back to how it should be and log in as the portable user. It'll ask if you want to create a portable home folder, hit Create and it'll run through the syncing process, and work fine from then on.

Just posting here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Raven
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting back... Would never have though of that since by default it sets users as standard users. Personnaly my idea is that the suer should only modify their own settings and if they want to install extra apps, they install it in their ~/Applications folder. Anything that actually requires more rights to install, I want them to consult IT so they don't install all kinds of junk .
Old 03-03-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
VirtualWolf
Prospect

Quote:
Thanks for posting back... Would never have though of that since by default it sets users as standard users. Personnaly my idea is that the suer should only modify their own settings and if they want to install extra apps, they install it in their ~/Applications folder. Anything that actually requires more rights to install, I want them to consult IT so they don't install all kinds of junk .

Oh, I agree. This is all just on my home machines, though.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
Raven
Hall of Famer

The idea of using a standard account for normal use, especially when connecting to the internet is considered the safe way. The whole idea is that this way if something happens, its only things in the local profile that can cause issues since you can't modify the system...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
VirtualWolf
Prospect

Quote:
The idea of using a standard account for normal use, especially when connecting to the internet is considered the safe way. The whole idea is that this way if something happens, its only things in the local profile that can cause issues since you can't modify the system...

True, but considering all one's important data is in their home folder, and the OS can always be reinstalled...

One thing I've run in to is that I can't view the system.log in Console under my normal user account anymore. Is there any way around that?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Raven
Hall of Famer

You would need to change permissions for the logs. As a normal user you do have access to Console, but the System.log file is reserved for admins. You could always go in as admin and change it so your normal account has read/write access to it. Its located in the /var/log folder.

Or you can do this from the server to grant access to that user for that specific file, but then again to not changed the user's permissions you may want to grant the access through a group.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Random Access
Prospect

I have recently started playing around with mobile homes on my laptop and our OD. I made a mobile account and gave it admin privileges. I am still not allowed to set my sync rules since the server manages them for me. I am not using the merge setting which means the server settings are in effect and I can't override them. I'll try tomorrow with another account and report.

So I can't sync avi, mpg, bla bla... you get the picture. *coughs* We don't need Stargate Season 2 backed up on the server.

I would never dream of giving my mobile users on portable computers an account without admin rights. My life would be hell.

I also disabled background sync entirely by just telling it to ignore everything. I only sync at login and logoff. I was semi-suprised that it even worked remotely. I was at my gf's parent house this weekend and it started sync:ing when I logged off... yay.

On another note... I disconnected my computer from the network at work and reapplied 10.4.5 after screwing up the modified install of Front Row (which is not supposed to be supported on my machine) and when I was going to log on the next day I couldn't access my account after a reboot. However as soon as I reconnected the computer to the network the management settings were re-read by the system and everything was fine. Still... it kind of worries me as to what would happen if a user updated his computer off site and could no longer access his account. I'll have to try again after cloning my machine and see if I can recreate the error. It was kind of embarassing when I was going to show my mobile account to my boss and the screen started shaking because it would not accept my account credentials.
Random Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
VirtualWolf
Prospect

HURRAH! I finally got it solved.

Although I'm not entirely sure how.

I ended up deleting the user from both the client and server, and recreating it. The user ID was different, but Workgroup Manager remembered the exclude-from-sync list I'd set up. I'm guessing that deleting the user from both, and possibly the user ID changing, fixed it.

Either way, yay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: