Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
nahgoe

Hi,

I'm looking to use Apples Remote Desktop software to connect to my Mac Mini at home. Since i'm behind a pretty restrictive proxy here, the only choice I have is to use SSh tunneling. I've gotten it to work with VNCViewer, but I'd prefer to use the ARD client itself.

Anyone ever done this, or know how to?

Thanks
nahgoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
lca

hi,

i'm using such configuration at work and I connect via proxy to my home machine. at first, I log in via proxy (on the port 443) to my home machine (sshd listens on the 443 port) and I create a tunnel (my local machine listens on the 5900 port and it's forwarded to the remote machine (my powerbook) to its 5900 port. Then I just connect to the localhost 5900 with any VNC client (also that Apple's one).

Cheers.
Lukasz

--
http://lukasz.com/
lca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
salmacis
Prospect

Hi,

If you just need the viewing function, forwarding TCP port 5900 will work both with ARD Admin and VNC Viewers. If you need the whole feature set of ARD, forget about simple SSH forwarding - ARD needs a lot of ports opened not only 5900. I tried it with a VPN tunnel, but it still does not work as expected.

I think Apple should include secure connections out of the box ASAP when looking at the price of the product. Timbuktu for example has it builtin.

Good luck,
salmacis
salmacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
agentx
Hall of Famer

so if you want to try...

So i never open 5900 as traffic and admin passwords are not secure.
so using port forwarding.....
open terminal....
sudo ssh -L5900:127.0.0.1:5900 admin@addressofservers
you will be promted first for your local admin password then remote password.
open new terminal session and repeat with below command.
sudo ssh -L3283:127.0.0.1:3283 admin@addressofserver
open ARD and connect to 127.0.0.1...this then forwards to remote machine.(you will of course have to put user name and password in)

5900 gives you VNC and the 3283 give the remote desktop element.

I use the VNC command all the time to connect to the servers i support.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
salmacis
Prospect

Yeah, this way you only need SSH (22) opened on your machine. But you really don't need to execute the ssh-commands as root (sudo ssh...). Avoid issuing commands as root when you can avoid it.

salmacis
salmacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
SeanAhern
Prospect

ssh flags

And you don't technically need to run two ssh sessions. One ssh command line can forward multiple ports. Just add more -L flags to the command line:

ssh -L3283:127.0.0.1:3283 -L5900:127.0.0.1:5900
SeanAhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
mfero
Prospect

This used to work for me until I updated ARD to v.3.3.1. Now ARD gives an error message if I try to connect to localhost on port 5900. However, it still works fine if ARD data is forwarded to different port using the Terminal (e.g. 5901), and ARD is set to connect to localhost -but using 5901 as the Screen Sharing port.
mfero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Well here is my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth....

I work in a very managed environment, where there are filters, QOS, throttling, and many ports closed. My answer to access my machine at home from work is a simple web based remote desktop that is free. It goes over port 443 so no fancy work has to be done as almost every network allows viewing of encrypted web pages. You can go here for more info.

www.logmenin.com

It is free, and works on Mac, Linux, and Winders!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
kompuntu
Prospect

RDP via SSH Tunnel

Hello everyone!
I have a question about RDP via SSH Tunnel.
Here's my setup:
I have a WinXP desktop at work, behind a firewall.
I have a MAC at home, that I use as an SSH server. I open an SSH tunnel from work machine to home and send all browser traffic from work through this tunnel to avoid web filtering and use Gmail and such.
Is there any way to use this ssh tunnel in the other direction? Can I come home and open an RDP client on my MAC and connect to my work WinXP machine? Maybe send an RDP invitation from work machine?
Has anyone tried something along these lines?
Ultimately what I need is to be able to remote desktop from my home MAC to my work WinXP using native RDP client, or VNC, if RDP is not available.
I tried LogMeIn and it works OK, but screen resolution is limited...

Thanks in advance!

Sal.
kompuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
SirDice
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
so using port forwarding.....
open terminal....
sudo ssh -L5900:127.0.0.1:5900 admin@addressofservers
you will be promted first for your local admin password then remote password.

You really don't need to sudo this. Any user can open ports above 1024.

Quote:
open new terminal session and repeat with below command.
sudo ssh -L3283:127.0.0.1:3283 admin@addressofserver

Again the sudo isn't needed and you can add this -L option to the previous command. There's no need to open 2 SSH sessions.
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
SirDice
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompuntu
Here's my setup:
I have a WinXP desktop at work, behind a firewall.
I have a MAC at home, that I use as an SSH server. I open an SSH tunnel from work machine to home and send all browser traffic from work through this tunnel to avoid web filtering and use Gmail and such.
Is there any way to use this ssh tunnel in the other direction?

That depends on the configuration of the firewall at work. I'm sure they've blocked this kind of access.

Quote:
Can I come home and open an RDP client on my MAC and connect to my work WinXP machine?

Yes, it's possible. But it really depends on the firewall at work. All you need to do is forward port 3389 for RDP.

Quote:
Ultimately what I need is to be able to remote desktop from my home MAC to my work WinXP using native RDP client, or VNC, if RDP is not available.

Talk to the admins at work.
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
kompuntu
Prospect

SirDice, thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately the "talk to the admins at work" option is...well...not an option.
Which is why I'm using the SSH Tunnel to begin with.
I thought that maybe I can use that tunnel in the other direction.
If I had access to the firewall at work, I wouldn't be posting this question, naturally...
So, I take it, there's no such solution (yet), right? To allow me to use an established SSH Tunnel to initiate an RDP session from the ssh server back to the client?
kompuntu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: