Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
ethan666
Prospect

How to merge two iTunes libraries

I'm sorry if this is an easy one... I want to merge two iTunes libraries (work & home) and keep all of the ratings, play counts, etc from both.

Is it as simple as just using the Export and Import functions built into iTunes?

Thanks!!!
ethan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
helloworld
Prospect

I never used the import/export for libraries in iTunes so I can't advise you on that but if you search for "export library" in iTunes Help I think it you'll find the answer.

I like iTunes but its inability to handle multiple libraries is just Bad Design.

I have an exteral harddrive where I store most of my music but unfortunately iTunes only supports one Library at one location at a time. There are freeware solutions for quickly switching between Libraries, I used Libra for a while and it did the job but I just wish Apple would finally realize the need for multiple Libraries in iTunes and iPhoto.
helloworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Reflect_TRUTH
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld
I just wish Apple would finally realize the need for multiple Libraries in iTunes and iPhoto.

Yea, I definitely agree. iTunes needs a multiple library function bad. Not sure if you know this or not... but iPhoto has been able to do this since at least version 5. Hold down the option key while opening iPhoto. You'll be given the option to choose a library or create another one.

Still waiting on this feature in iTunes. Sure wish Apple developers would listen to their users suggestions a little more. This has been the plea of iTunes users for a while now. Doesnt seem like such a difficult feature to implement.
Reflect_TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Still waiting on this feature in iTunes. Sure wish Apple developers would listen to their users suggestions a little more. This has been the plea of iTunes users for a while now. Doesnt seem like such a difficult feature to implement.

Could it be, then, that this (not having such an ability) is part of their agreements with the content providers? Could the CPs view a multi-library feature as "abetting piracy"? I.E. one folder for your legit stuff and another for illegal downloads?

Just being Devil's Advocate here. It is a possibility.

Gavin

Last edited by hayne; 02-01-2006 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fixed QUOTE tag
GavinBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
weltonch777
Triple-A Player

More likely, if it was the content providers, they probably would have done it to keep people from "borrowing" someone elses library for a couple weeks (say, while on vacation), then then de-atherizing the computer when they were done.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Bigc
All Star

May find something here that will do what you need...

http://www.dougscripts.com
Bigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Reflect_TRUTH
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigc
May find something here that will do what you need...

http://www.dougscripts.com

Yes, there is iTunes Library Manager. Which for the time being will do the job. It still just doesnt make since for Apple to not include this option.

Quote:
More likely, if it was the content providers, they probably would have done it to keep people from "borrowing" someone elses library for a couple weeks (say, while on vacation), then then de-atherizing the computer when they were done.

They added the feature to iPhoto. Content providers of stock photo disks (Corel, etc.) could make the same arguement if the above is true. Of course music is shared more than images... but
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
weltonch777
Triple-A Player

but... Contnet providers of stock photos don't sell billions of songs on iTunes
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Reflect_TRUTH
Major Leaguer

ohhh... good point. But you can still authorize purchased songs from iTunes on up to 5 machines. It doesnt seem like entire library management should be prohibited b/c of copyright. They are already regulating it with the 5 authorizations.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
manny17

How to merge two iTunes libraries

A new product called TuneRanger has just been released that can synchronize or merge any two iTunes libraries over a network. TuneRanger is available in Mac and Windows versions so you can even sync or merge iTunes libraries on different platforms. It syncs music, video and playlists within iTunes.

More info at www.acertant.com.
manny17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
lawrence_o007

Has any of you figured that the best way to merge two libraries might just exist in exporting lib2 on e.g. an external disk or a 32GB flash stick and simply drag/drop its songs in your main lib and once finished, using iTunes "File --> Show Duplicates" to filter those out? Looks simple enough to me.

Regards
Lawrence
lawrence_o007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
oldestMac

TuneRanger: didn't work for me

I tried TuneRanger yesterday with some horrible results.
It crashed a couple of times. It rewrote the name of my address book file
and of the applescripts application. After using tuneranger iTunes would periodically fail to open complaining that the iTunes Library was locked or in a locked folder or on a disk I did not have access to.

If I did get iTunes open, I would get the following error message about once a minute.

"The itunes Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error has occured (-50)"

I am running 10.5.6 and the latest iTunes.

It took many, many hours to recover.
oldestMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
jessjess

Supersync

Have you guys tried SuperSync? I find it a great iTunes synching device. Itís working great for me and my family to merge music between our computers to create a master library around the house.

Check it out for yourself. You can download it for free:

http://supersync.com/
jessjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
jmelrose
Prospect

Download is free. $25 to use... not so attractive an option.
jmelrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
tc4all

iTunes on 2 libraries

This is possible via Libra. I have 2 500 gig drives of music. One is jazz and one is rock and blues. When you click on the Libra icon, you get the choice of which itunes library you want. After that, iTunes only sees whichever one you chose. I know of people using it to keep a separate library for each member of the family. Excellent product for only $10. http://www.sillybit.com/libra/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: