Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
maiden82
Prospect

I have scoured the internet trying to find a program that makes Zip files. I would like the files to be password protected. Does anybody know of any software that does this? I can find plenty of zip openers but not one with this function.

Thanks a lot for your help!
maiden82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

DropStuff - http://www.stuffit.com
can make passworded zips, (for a price).

If you just want the protection, or are going to only use the file on macs, you can use OS X's built in Disk Utility to make encrypted DMG files (disk images). (free)
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
TrumpetPower!
Major Leaguer

The Finder can already make zip files. Just select the files you want to archive and select ``Create Archive'' from the File menu.

The Mac thing to do what you're asking is to create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. In just about every way, it's superior to a zip archive.

Of course, if you're looking to share these with non-Mac users, a disk image isn't going to work. I'm pretty sure you could use the commercial version of StuffIt to create encrypted zip archives, but I wouldn't swear to it.

It's also worth noting that the encryption you get with a zip file isn't necessarily ironclad. If it's security you're after, GnuPG is about as good as you're going to get in a cross-platform file. Apple disk images are as good as you'll get from a non-open vendor.

Cheers,

b&
TrumpetPower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
bedouin
All Star

Just for historical purposes, it's always nice to enlighten people. Most of us use .zip files nowadays (and I guess thankfully .sit is dying, though it doesn't really matter to me), but don't know the history behind it.

.zip is a slightly modified version of .arc, which was created by Thom Henderson. .zip evolved out of a program called pkarc, which was a version of Henderson's arc stolen (source code and all) by Phil Katz, and then resold. More on that here; Thom also had a lot to do with the early days of Fidonet.

Anyway, something as simple as a compression method can have a lot of politics and history behind it, and .zip is no exception.
bedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
maiden82
Prospect

Thank you for your help on this. I am sending the zip file to a computer using Windows. I tried the DMG file, but it was too hard to open. I work at home on a Mac (10.4.3) and am sending it to a client in Europe. I needed something that had a password so the files wouldn't be downloaded by somebody else.

Any help would be appreciated, as I searched Stuffit, I found that their applications don't seem to be Tiger friendly, because the boards are full of people with problems.

Thanks Again!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Photek
Hall of Famer

dropstuff works fine for me on 10.4.3, just select 'zip' rather than 'sitX', select 'encryption' and zip your file... I have just tried a few and it seems fine....

Last edited by Photek; 12-29-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Photek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
jbc
All Star

You could try using the built-in zip command from Terminal using the -P [password] option. Type "man zip" in Terminal to get more info on this.
jbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
fenix
Prospect

There's also the -e flag for the zip command:

-e Encrypt the contents of the zip archive using a password which is entered on the terminal in response to a prompt (this will not be echoed; if standard error is not a tty, zip will exit with an error). The password prompt is repeated to save the user from typing errors.
fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
maiden82
Prospect

Photek,
Does it allow you to assign a password to the zip? Everybody thanks again for helping me find a solution !!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
maiden82
Prospect

Gentlemen,

I think I have found a program to use, but now I do have a problem. I know it is a rar file, but I am sure that this will work too.
Quote:
EDS 0.2.9

EDS description Download
EDS is a GUI front end for rarlabs rar program. Users can create rar sets or a single rar file. Users can also create recovery volumes and set compression type. Some switches are disabled in this release.

Here are some key features of "EDS":

Compress a file into specified volume sizes
Create recovery volumes
View Terminal Output.

Requirements:

Mac OS X 10.4 or later
RAR must be located in /usr/bin for the program to funciton.

I don't even have a clue on how to do this and what it means. I know the usr bin can be accessed in terminal, but how do you get it and how can you put file documents in their to send??

HELP
Old 12-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
fenix
Prospect

You can, apparently, buy rar from rarlabs for $29. Once you get it, you can move it thusly in Terminal:
Code:
sudo mv /path/to/downloaded/rar /usr/bin/rar
Terminal will than ask you for your password - if you're on an admin account, use your password. If you're not an admin, then you'll probably have to su into an admin account. You'd do that like so:
Code:
su <username>
Terminal will then ask for their password. Then use the above command to move rar into /usr/bin/.

This assumes the thing is actually named rar; if not, replace rar with whatever it's actually named. Also note that you can replace mv with cp, if you wish.
fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
dlong
Prospect

free software alternative

I ran into this today, and the command-line zip utility that's on my computer didn't support passwords. I got this error:

zip error: Invalid command arguments (encryption not supported)

found a solution that requires a working copy of fink. I've only tested it under 10.4.7 on a g4 Mac Mini, but I suspect it'll work elsewhere.

If you don't have fink, there are several good tutorials out there for getting it installed and running.

When you're logged in as an admin user, open Terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo fink install zip
(You'll see some output, which should end with something like this...)

Unpacking zip (from .../zip_2.31-11_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Setting up zip (2.31-11) ...

sudo mv /usr/bin/zip /usr/bin/zip-old
(This will rename your existing copy of the zip utility, so you can get it back later if you want.)

sudo ln -s /sw/bin/zip /usr/bin/
(This will make an "alias" of the new zip you just installed, and puts it in the right spot.)

Once this is complete, you can issue the command that's already been given above by people lots smarter than me. Something along the lines of zip -e archivename.zip files/you/wish/to.archive ought to do it.
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong
sudo mv /usr/bin/zip /usr/bin/zip-old
(This will rename your existing copy of the zip utility, so you can get it back later if you want.)

sudo ln -s /sw/bin/zip /usr/bin/
(This will make an "alias" of the new zip you just installed, and puts it in the right spot.)

The above is not a good idea.
You should never fiddle with the Apple-installed software. For one thing, your changes may get overwritten with the next Software Update. And some of the system scripts might be relying on the behaviour of the program you replaced.

Instead, you should change your shell execution PATH so that the Fink version of 'zip' is found ahead of the system-supplied one.
See this Unix FAQ for details. But I thought that the Fink installer modifies your PATH to include /sw/bin - so check what you have already.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
voldenuit
League Commissioner

You could also make a shell alias, maybe zipe for zip with encrytion (man alias for details) if you're really too lazy to typ /sw/bin/zip.

Moving custom stuff up the PATH may produce unexpected results that will be hard to debug when you try to follow a hint and it fails because of syntax differences between the default binary and the one that fink installed and you will forget about the custom PATH at some point.
voldenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
jim_briskin
Prospect

The easy way

It may be too late for you, but:

The command line zip is capable of setting a password.
Just use the -e switch. (I guess -P has been removed for security reasons.)

So, to make myfile.zip of myfile.txt:

zip -e myfile myfile.txt

No need to buy a new app for $29
jim_briskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: