Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPod Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Mike Kiefner

New here, my son has a ipod and we deleted songs froom the itunes library, now how do I delete the songs from the ipod itself? Is there a way or is it supose to delete once you deleted them from the library?
So many questions
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

Normally, you use the iTunes application to sync the iPod and then the songs will get deleted from the iPod. Or if you are doing "manual sync", then you need to use iTunes to manually delete the songs from the iPod.
hayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
shifte
Prospect

delete songs from ipod

I am about to get one and can't believe there's no simple delete feature.
shifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifte
I am about to get one and can't believe there's no simple delete feature.

There is.. select the song in the iPod view of Itunes, hit the delete key.
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
mkoreiwo
Major Leaguer

Mike,

If all this didn't sort it out, here is another....

In itunes, you have an icon for the "Library" and - when the ipod is connected - one that matches the ipod.

If you are "manually" syncing songs to the ipod and want to delete one off the ipod, open up the view for the ipod, not the Library, find the song and delete it....

If you are autosyncing songs will be deleted automatically when you connect and sync your ipod.

If you don't know how you are syncing look in the preferences for the ipod.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Kat

Unhappy deleting songs

I also have a deleting problem.

I have selected the manual option and unchecked the songs that I want to
remove from my ipod.
And I understand that when on manual setting, you have to eject the ipod manually.
But so far no songs have been deleted and the "do not disconnect" message always appears on my ipod when it is connected to itunes with the manual setting.
Why are no songs being deleted and why won't this message stop?
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
mkoreiwo
Major Leaguer

Actually there is no auto eject .... not that I know of at least....

either Control+click on the iPod displayed in iTunes and choose eject from the options

or

click on theiPod displayed in iTunes and then click on the "Contols" menu then choose the eject ooption

or from the desktop, drag the icon for your iPod to the trash -- No, it won't hurt anything... that's a standard type of "eject" on the Mac...

... I really don't know why you cannot delete any songs from your ipod... I would look at your preferences once again to see if you really are on manual syncing....
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
frankko
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
I have selected the manual option and unchecked the songs that I want to remove from my ipod.
And I understand that when on manual setting, you have to eject the ipod manually.
But so far no songs have been deleted and the "do not disconnect" message always appears on my ipod when it is connected to itunes with the manual setting.
Why are no songs being deleted and why won't this message stop?

Are you talking about the checkboxes to the left of the song names? Those have nothing to do with deleting songs. They're there so you can tell iTunes whether or not to actually play or skip a song in your playlist/Library (checked=play, unchecked=skip). (When playing songs on an iPod not connected to a computer, the iPod ignores the checkboxes and plays all songs.)

To delete a song from your iPod, select the song IN THE IPOD'S LIBRARY (click on your iPod in the left pane of iTunes to see the iPod library), find the songs you want to delete, select them, hit delete on the keyboard.

To delete a playlist from your iPod, select it in the left pane of the iTunes interface and hit delete on the keyboard.

To eject your iPod when in manual sync/disk mode, besides what was mentioned above, you can click the little eject icon to the far right of your iPod's name in the left pane of the iTunes interface; you can select your iPod in the left pane and click the iPod eject button at the bottom right of iTunes (next to the iPod preferences, equalizer, and visualizer buttons); and you can also click once on the iPod on the desktop and hit cmd+e on the keyboard.
frankko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
haidersangels

Ok. I can't seem to "click" the song to delete it <_< so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Quote:
To delete a song from your iPod, select the song IN THE IPOD'S LIBRARY (click on your iPod in the left pane of iTunes to see the iPod library), find the songs you want to delete, select them, hit delete on the keyboard.

I know you have to do this, but I can't actually click the song because it appears like so: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...7/untitled.jpg
haidersangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
funkycfunkydo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by haidersangels
Ok. I can't seem to "click" the song to delete it <_< so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I know you have to do this, but I can't actually click the song because it appears like so: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...7/untitled.jpg

your iPod is set to auto-sync. To change that, go to Preferences in the File menu (or hit cmd-p), go to the iPod section and choose manual sync
funkycfunkydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

In iTunes Preferences, Sync, there is an option to "only copy checked songs". Select this option, choose auto-sync, and then only the checked songs in your library will be on your ipod. Uncheck -> update -> song is gone from pod. Check -> update -> song reappears on pod.

This way, you can keep everything on your computer but not fill up a small ipod too fast. I do this with 20+ Gb of video. Works great.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
jfkrueger

What a piece of....

Ok, so I spent all day at work rating songs.

I come home, plug my iPod into my PC after I log in and it freezes my PC up and deleted all the rankings I had entered into my iPod.
Annoying, but I figure I no big deal.

I then deleted ALL files from my iTunes library thinking that they would be deleted from my iPod, but after deleting from my Library, all the songs are still on my iPod. There is no way to delete a song right from the iPod and there is no way in hell I want to go through all 5 gigs deleting 1 by 1.

So now I am at the point where I have a bunch of songs on my iPod, but nothing in my library and it says it is synched up. Everything WAS working fine (for about a week), I haven't changed any settings or anything.

Can anyone instruct me on how to delete all the content off of my iPod?

NONE of the suggestions on here work, I don't even have the menu options that people are talking about in my iTunes (IE, there is no "Preferences"-->"Sync", so I am assuming this post is old.
jfkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Screengem0531
Major Leaguer

Okay....deleting stuff off your iPod is not hard. However, Im sure you must know how to delete stuff before you can acutally...delete stuff.

The iPod has a couple syncing settings that you can choose from. To do this (Assuming you have iTunes 7), plug your iPod in and choose its name in the source list. It should look like this.

Now choose which way you want iTunes to manage your music. You can choose manual, Automatic sync of all music, and automatic sync of specific playlists.

If you have the manual box check,

click on the music button under your iPod in the source list.

Note there is a drop down arrow. All of the music should be black not grey. Now choose which songs you don't want and hit the delete key on your keyboard. If you want to delete every song on your iPod, hit command-A to select all and hit the delete key. To select a range of songs to delete, choose the first song in the range, hold shift, and click the last song in the range. They should all be blue now. Hit the delete key.

When you are in the manual mode, you must manually eject your iPod from your computer. Just click the eject icon to the right of your iPod's name in the source list. When your iPod disapears from the list, you can unplug your iPod.

For an automatic sync method, make sure the manually manage music check bock is unchecked. Click the music tab and choose which automatic sync method you would like. You can choose automaticlly sync all music or automatically sync selected playlists.

Deleting music from either of the auto sync methods should be the same.

When iTunes syncs your music, all it really is doing is making your iPod look like your iTunes library. So to delete music from an auto mode you must delete the music from your iTunes library. The next time you plug your iPod into the computer and sync your music, iTunes will go through your iPod and make it look like your iTunes library.

Or...
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
In iTunes Preferences, Sync, there is an option to "only copy checked songs". Select this option, choose auto-sync, and then only the checked songs in your library will be on your ipod. Uncheck -> update -> song is gone from pod. Check -> update -> song reappears on pod.

This way, you can keep everything on your computer but not fill up a small ipod too fast. I do this with 20+ Gb of video. Works great.

That check box is here.

If your PC is freezing, buy a mac. Im sure you'll love them much more.

I hope I didn't over simplify it but it seems a lot of people don't know how to delete stuff off their iPod.

Last edited by Screengem0531; 12-18-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Screengem0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
rick reeves1

Hello, This my first attempt on a forum. Apologies up front.

I have deleted songs from my iPod nano, but when I play the nano through my computer at work (HP tablet using Windows XP) it plays songs I had previously deleted. When I play the nano itself it does not play the deleted songs. In fact, when I search the nano library I can not find the songs which the computer plays.

The computer had no music on it when I started using it.
rick reeves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Dtotherockblock

Hey everyone,

I recently have received an ipod and I am having some trouble and wondering if someone here can help. My problem is when I open Itunes and click on ipod. All that comes up is half a screen saying register your ipod and other stuff, but I can't read the other stuff because it's only half a screen! The only button I can press is register later and when I do it I can't go on to the next step because its only half a screen with no scroller bar. My original problem was not being able to delete songs and I can't do that until I fix this thing. I was wondering if this was a common problem or if anyone would know how I could fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
Dtotherockblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
BENNIEBOY

Go To Control Panel Open Up Appearance And Themes, Then Change The Screen Resolution To 1024 By 768 Pixels. You Should Then See A Continue Box At The Bottom Right Hand Side Ofthe Screen. Click On This And Follow The Instructions. Hope This Helps.
BENNIEBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
ttrb11

i deleted songs straight from the player on the computer without using iTunes but now it's left the song titles on there but i cant play them. my computer wont let me install itunes again for some reason, any way to delete the track listings left over?

help would be much appreciated
ttrb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #18
EatsWithFingers
All Star

Quote:
i deleted songs straight from the player on the computer without using iTunes but now it's left the song titles on there but i cant play them. my computer wont let me install itunes again for some reason, any way to delete the track listings left over?

The reason that the song titles still persist is that the database file on your iPod has not been changed. In order to remove the song titles, you have to modify the database file. And to modify the database file, you need iTunes or one of the other programs that work with iPods.

As for why your computer won't let you install iTunes again, what exactly does it say when you try? How did you uninstall it?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Muse

Need help with making space for new songs

Hello everyone,

I don't have a problem with manually deleting songs from my Ipod, but I would like to know why after deleting a number of songs the free space stays the same and I cannot put any of my new songs on it?

Could anyone please help me with this one, thanks!
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #20
Alyssa719

help!

ok. so what if i bought my iPod used and i dont have the iTunes with all the songs on it, then how do i delete them.
Alyssa719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: