Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 01-29-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
TheFireSermon
Prospect

How to copy a desktop

I am new to the Mac world and I love it so far. In windows there is a Key shortcut called PRTScnSysRQ, this takes a copy of whatever is on the desktop. I see that one can do this with a Mac (i.e. in the magazines you see the image of the Mac outline on pictures), but I do not know how and cannot find out to, would someone be able to help.

-TheFireSermon-
TheFireSermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
mervTormel
League Commissioner

the key sequence to take a snapshot of your desktop is...

command-shift-3

and you should hear a camera shutter click sound. and find a file named Picture N on your desktop, N being an integer starting with one.

this will probably be a large tiff file.

you can change the default format for the snapshot to something more reasonable (in size, anyway) like a jpeg image.

search www.macosxhints.com for that.
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
griffman
MVP

And shift-command-4 will let you capture a region of the desktop. The cursor becomes a crosshair; move then click-drag to cover the region you want.

If you do a lot of screenshot work, I highly recommend Snapz Pro -- tons of options for file type, shadow settings, save locations, and even movie captures.

-rob.
griffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:48 AM   #4
mervTormel
League Commissioner

yeah, even movie captures.

a windows associate of mine, who knows my leanings, was vaguely curious about OSX. i fired up about 30 apps and sent him a scrolly Snapz pro movie of my desktop. he was speechless. still is. i suspect he fritzed some capacitators because he's been so dedicated to the billy goat for so long.
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: