Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
vbumgarn
Prospect

10.1 iChat Jabber video chat on private network

We are using iMacs in several offices for video conferencing on a closed network. We have set up a Jabber server, and for one-to-one video conferences, it works just fine.

We have had no success with multipoint chats of any kind, though. Our network is closed to external access except through proxies, and I'm assuming the inability to reach snatmap.mac.com is the issue. We tried logging a few machines into AIM through the proxy, and with three machines on the same LAN, it worked great, though I'm sure we were flooding the proxy server.

So, my question is... does anyone know how to trick iChat into thinking there is unlimited bandwidth between the machines? I have tried modifying the settings in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist , to no effect. Maybe I tried the wrong ones? We have also tried PowerBoost on all of the machines, and though this does give us the multi-video icon and lets us try to start the chat, it either gives very low quality video or times out.

Maybe I could set up a fake snatmap.mac.com server?
vbumgarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
petertripp

hi vbumgarn,
we've been trying for few days to implement video conferencing over our network. we have set up a jabber server, but it isn't working properly. when we invite another user to a video conference, they don't receive any notice/alert about the invitation. we have no trouble with text chat/IM, and we can send files through jabber/ichat. but the video conferencing won't work. can you tell me how you set up your server, or give me some references on how to do it?

i'd really apprciate any help or advice you might have for me.

thanks,
peter
petertripp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: