Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 11-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
abydos1000
Prospect

Question Video card recommendations for a G4 Tower (gigabit ethernet)?

Any video card recommendations for a Gigabit G4 tower (AGP 2X)? I'd like something that at least supports Quartz Extreme. Not planning to run the latest games on this. Looks like the options from ATI are:

ati radeon 9000
ati radeon 8500
ati radeon 7000
ati radeon 7500

Is there a card that supports core image that can go into this machine? My guess is AGP 2X limits the options somewhat.

Last edited by abydos1000; 11-23-2005 at 07:58 AM. Reason: To clarify that this is a question.
abydos1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Raven
Hall of Famer

The short answer is that no AGP 2X card will support Quartz Extreme. Here is a link to the Apple kb article on supported cards for it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301347
Old 11-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
waked1
Triple-A Player

I have a Radeon 9000 in my Gigabit and it does support Quarz Extreme, just not Core Image.
All those cards should support it but you do need to check they're compatible with AGP 2x as some might need 4x.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
zacharydz
Prospect

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro in my Sawtooth and it supports quartz extreme and core image. I believe it's the best video card that G4s can use.

The 4x AGP G4s used a non-standard AGP slot due to them having ADC ports. However, if you tape the 3 and 11 pins, it will prevent the card from running in 8x.
zacharydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
The short answer is that no AGP 2X card will support Quartz Extreme. Here is a link to the Apple kb article on supported cards for it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301347

This is completely untrue. Any Radeon card or nVidia Mac card supports Quartz Extreme, and there are several AGP 2x cards such as the ATI Radeon 9800 which will support Core Image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharydz
The 4x AGP G4s used a non-standard AGP slot due to them having ADC ports.

Sort of, but not exactly. The AGP slot itself in the PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet is standard 2x, but what you are referring to is that there is an extra, optional slot for getting power to the ADC connector. If you plug in an AGP card that does not use the extra power slot, it will work just fine.

For example, if you buy a nice new Radeon 9800 that supports 2x slots, the extra power slot is not used at all.

Conversely, if you have an older Sawtooth PowerMac G4 which does not use that power slot, and plug a card that has the extra connector on it, like an original Radeon Mac Edition, that slot just hangs in space--it does not stop the card from being plugged in, and the card still works fine, just without any power to the ADC port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abydos1000
ati radeon 9000
ati radeon 8500
ati radeon 7000
ati radeon 7500

The Radeon 7000 was not made in an AGP version, and you'll be better of buying an AGP card rather than a PCI card. Of the others you list, you'll be best off with the Radeon 8500 or Radeon 9000. Or, as zacharydz mentions, the Radeon 9800 is an excellent card.

For all of these, read the description of the card carefully to insure that it supports AGP 2x. There are certainly versions of the Radeon 9000 and Radeon 9800 available that work with Macs, but don't work with 2x AGP. But there are other versions of those cards that do work with AGP 2x, so read the fine print.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:24 AM   #6
rtideas
Prospect

Do they have to be ATI cards? Or would generic Radeon PC cards work?

Is there a worthwhile card under $100, or even under $50?

Looking to spice up my Dualie G4 500 mhz.
rtideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
trevor

Quote:
Do they have to be ATI cards? Or would generic Radeon PC cards work?

One important difference between the generic PC cards and the Mac Edition cards is the firmware. In some cases that is the only difference, in others the available flash memory in which the firmware goes is larger in the Mac version.

In some of the cases where the hardware is identical, you may be able to flash the Mac Edition firmware into a generic PC card. This usually works, although I've seen several people who had weird problems later after doing this.

In the cases where the flash memory is larger on the Mac Edition than on the generic PC version, flashing the Mac firmware won't help, since it doesn't fit into the available flash memory space. In those cases your only way to get a generic PC version working on the Mac is to do fine board level soldering and replace the flash part with a larger flash part. This is beyond the skill level of most people.

In any event, for a few extra dollars you can buy the Mac version which is supported by ATI. In my opinion, that is money well spent. For people who would rather spend 20 hours of time to save 20 dollars, you may be able to use a generic PC Radeon card if you spend time fixing it.

Quote:
Is there a worthwhile card under $100

Close, check OWC. As I write this, there is a 2x Radeon 9000 for $109.

Quote:
or even under $50?

Could be. Check ebay, but be very careful about verifying compatibility. Also check the FAQ and Video Card Performance Database at Accelerate Your Mac!.

Quote:
Looking to spice up my Dualie G4 500 mhz.

The PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet uses 2x AGP slots. Read the fine print for compatibility with 2x AGP slots.

Trevor

Last edited by trevor; 12-03-2005 at 07:45 AM.
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
acornboy
Prospect

I have a question i also have a 400mhz agp G4 tower it also has of course 3 empty PCI slots, any reason not to look at PCI options for an affordable (read cheap) upgrade to my graphics card?
acornboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Raven
Hall of Famer

Any PCi card will automatically be less performant that an AGP card. Basically having a graphics card on PCI instead of AGP is a bit like trying to use an old serial port compared to a USB port... So baiscally much much slower. And there are very few PCI mac graphics cards out there so they are more expensive than the AGP cards for less performance... I personnaly would recommend you go for an AGp one ... PCi would mean throwing your money away partly.
Here is a list of available ATI cards to upgrade the G4 AGP
Old 01-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
acornboy
Prospect

Thanks Raven that clears it uip for me
Old 01-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
Raven
Hall of Famer

At least the answer was that AGP cards are cheaper and better
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
acornboy
Prospect

LOL! that's true
Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
twitsami
Prospect

Question any good with ADC CRT?

I've been doing some research about AGP 2x compatible cards that are compatible with the ADC CRT apple made. However it seems that a lot of the cards that are 4x compatible with 2x, say it could possibly work, but dont count on it.

The issue in hand is the amount of power required from the CRT as opposed to the LCD monitors with ADC connectors. I think ive narrowed it down to 3 cards, an ATI Radeon (32mb), Nvidia GeForce2MX (32mb), and possibly the Radeon 7500... i know other cards will work in the system, many better in-fact, but few i believe are capable of powering a CRT through ADC. I figure any card that would work in the Cube should work in my machine (dual 450) since it seems to be the only other one i can figure to have the same 2x AGP slot, every g4 after seems to be at-least 4x AGP and thus an issue... oh well, any sort of help would me much appreciated... and to be honest im not looking to spend too much on a card when i plan on buying a new machine within the year... again any help, any input would be great, thanks
twitsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
idobi
Prospect

Does anyone know if the Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB will work on a Gigabit G4? I need one with ADC and DVI ports.

I bought a Radeon 9700 which is 2x/4x AGP, but apparently that card only works in G4s after the Gigabit model. (It's for sale, btw, if anyone is interested)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: