Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPod Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
lordvertiog
Prospect

i have an ipod shuffle. it turns on but then there is a quick both green and yellow flash and then just the yellow light starts to blink when it's connected to my any mac i've tried. it's not charging but the battery indicator is green right now. when i unplug from the computer and I hit play the lights flash green and yellow. I've tried resetting it and i've tried to restore the software with the updater but my macs don't see the ipod over usb. however my system profiler does see the ipod. i just got this thing (on ebay, it was new and sealed but it's out of warranty come to find out). It was workin but now this. Help here...Thanks

SG
lordvertiog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
missbeehive1963
Major Leaguer

are you running the latest version of itunes?

also, is it plugged into the usb on the mac itself?

is your usb port usb 2.0 (just wondering if this is the problem as you say it was working but , maybe the power has died and it cant charge)
if you quit itunes, then plug it in it should automatically load itunes up, and be recognised on it.

i'd recommend trying it out on another machine, preferably a friend's mac, however if you take the software and try it on someones pc, you should be able to diagnose it as an ipod fault or an system problem.

if i remember right, i had a little fannying around with my shuffle when i first got it, i think i performed restarts etc with it still plugged in etc.
also check the ipod prefs in itunes when you have it plugged in check its not on disk mode etc.

good luck
missbeehive1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
guardian34
All Star

From Apple's iPod shuffle support page: Understanding iPod shuffle's status lights (Look under “Error light”)
guardian34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
lordvertiog
Prospect

tried all that

Yes, I have the latest and greatest itunes version and ipod updater. I've tried on on 4 macs already all with either usb 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 and none of them see the ipod. I've read the error light thing already too. I've also tried connecting directly thru usb hubs and directly to the computer's usb port and nothing works. at this point it would seem it is simply broken.
and a mac repair shop said don't even bother getting it repaired just buy another one.

SG
lordvertiog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
missbeehive1963
Major Leaguer

damn thats a shame,

i'd hope that you dont let that tarnish your opinion of the little bugger, they are damn fine wee ipods.

i do agree that you'd have less stress buying a new one though, i had a dead mini once, and by golly, trying to get apple to take it back and repair it was pretty hard going.

if it seems like you are at a brick wall with it though, why not have a look at this http://applematters.com/index.php/gallery/image_full/1/

its an autopsy on the shuffle, you could at a last resort check his innards out make sure there is nothing obvious once inside, like a loose connection or somthing.

weirdly i find images of ipods slit open more whincing than that of humans.

do give him a decent burial. let his name be robert paulson.
missbeehive1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
guardian34
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvertiog
tried all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple support page
If you still see orange and green, your iPod shuffle may need service.

Sorry, but at this point I think your only options are repair or replacement.
guardian34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
mutzarella

whats the word

did you ever find out the problem, mine just did the same thing today!
mutzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
thommango
Prospect

Shuffles Crash...but there's no reset button

Take a look at the same page that over 8000 shuffle owners have read on the shuffle discussion forurm:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....518896#1518896

You'll discover that what happened to you has happened to thousands of other shuffle owners. We've been screwed. There's a bug in the system, and it causes your shuffle to crash. Some people speculate that the bug was introduced by v.6 of iTunes, but no one knows for sure.

Unfortunately, there's no way to reset your shuffle. You can try anything you want. It won't work. You need to replace it.
thommango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Wingerman

I had this happen about 2 weeks ago. I just left it on to try to run down the battery. I would check it everyday and I would get the green and yellow flashing lights when I hit play. Well today when I clicked on it it worked. I updated itunes and ipod updater and restored the ipod. It is updated and working again.

Last edited by Wingerman; 02-19-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Wingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
Arshad

Ipods

Attention All Ipod Shuffle And Ipod Owners If You Have The Error Light On Your Ipod Please Try This Step And Download Itunes 6.0 From Apples Website Install Itunes And Then Plug In Your Ipod Wait For A Message Click Ok And It Will Clear Your Ipod And Then Reload Your Songs And You Are Good To Go Becuase I Have An Ipod Shuffle And Now Its Working.
Arshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
mcleanv

Smile Got resolution to my light flashing problem

I have iPods that were simply flashing orange when plugged in to the usb port.
When I would drag an audiobook over it would seem to load but when I pressed play, nothing was there! When I pressed play, it would just have green and orange blinking lights!

I talked with an Apple tech yesterday and found that my computer was not recognizing the usb port as a drive (I am on a network). As soon as I remapped, the iPod loaded the audiobook and is working fine! The link below tells of this drive issue. Hope this helps someone!

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n93499
mcleanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
thommango
Prospect

There's problems, and then there's kaput.

While many Shuffle problems can be solved by following advice here, or advice found on the Apple support site, it would be a mistake to believe that since solution x, y or z worked for one, it should work for all. When you speak to someone at Apple, it becomes clear that they're well aware that sometimes Shuffles just lock up and become un-repairable.

I'm on my fourth replacement, and each time, I try every possible trick to restore the shuffle before requesting a replacement. I think if Apple thought there was a way for customers to reset them, they wouldn't be replacing them so readily.

So, shuffle buyers beware.
thommango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #13
zdfun

I know how to fix it

This is what I did.

I spent the whole night, but both green and orange light were flashing, I tried to reset it using ipod update sowtware, it cannot be connected.

So I took it to another computer, plug the ipod shuffle to the on board usb port. download and run the update, I could reset my ipod shuffle, and it works fine when I bring it back to my computer. Hopefully it will work for you too.
zdfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
evolve
Prospect

10-25-2006 - Apple Releases the Shuffle Reset Utility V1.0

Finally. Apple has released an utility program which fixed the flashing green/amber problem. Worked perfectly for me.

Download is available at: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...y10formac.html
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
cantri

Thumbs up A FIX: iPod Shuffle flashing lights of death

I also suffered the flashing lights of death on my iPod Shuffle (2nd generation) and I managed to fix it...here's my story:

My iBook was recognising the iPod however it showed a little under 1GB free on the settings page (rubbish as I had completely filled it!) and all the songs on the Playlist tab. So unlike other posts I've seen on the web, at least my iBook was recognising it...maybe a necessity for the following to work?

I used the Restore feature several times to reset the blighter...made no difference.

I checked to see if I could 'browse' the iPod disk using my Windows XP SP2 PC..sure enough I could. As iTunes was reporting near 100% free disk with a full playlist of songs I figured the FAT32 file allocation table may have got corrupted. So I used XP to re-format the iPod as FAT32 (quick-format option). I re-attached it to my iBook and iTunes recognised it as a new iPod. iTunes dutifully went through the new iPod registration process. The iPod then showed a 100% free disk and no songs in the playlist. I transferred one tune, ejected, plugged-in the headphones and it worked!

Just a suggestion ... but let's face it, what choice do we have?

CanTri
cantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
allclick

my experience

This just happened to me today with the original Ipod Shuffle.

I simply plugged it back into my PC and it was still recognized and able to be synced and updated in itunes. In itunes I right-clicked on the shuffle and selected the option "reset warnings". Then I ejected it, plugged it back in and checked to see that all my music was still there. Then I ejected it again and it was fine!
allclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
luckyde

Hi,
Sorry for bumping but as I found the MAC solution to this and this thread is on the first page of google results I feel I should post it
1. as with the PC go to your ipod setttings and enable disk use
2. Quit Itunes and open Disk utility
3. Click on your ipod and reformat(from the ERASE tab) to FAT32
4. Open up itunes and restore the ipod
Works like a charm!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
jauhari
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyde
Hi,
Sorry for bumping but as I found the MAC solution to this and this thread is on the first page of google results I feel I should post it
1. as with the PC go to your ipod setttings and enable disk use
2. Quit Itunes and open Disk utility
3. Click on your ipod and reformat(from the ERASE tab) to FAT32
4. Open up itunes and restore the ipod
Works like a charm!

Thanks for the tips
jauhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #19
rasso01

I had the same problem

I was havving the same problem. 2 green and 1 brown blink. No contact to the pod Shuffle 2g. Could not play, no connect on the Ipod Fix program stopped and gave an error.
I used windows explorer to format the Ipod. Format as FAT and then afterwards started Itunes and used the reseting feature. Then it was as good as new - thanks for help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: