Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Brent.Wall

According to the Print & Fax settings within System Preferences, I have only one printer installed. However, the print dialog box within several applications shows many printers (including ones that no longer exist).

How do I delete the printers that are showing up in the print dialog box (that you see when you are selecting print within an application)?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

Hm... never had this happen before.

try doing into any web browser(Safari, Firefox, etc.) on your mac and type in to the address bar (or click the link):

localhost:631

then click "Manage Printers".

There may or may not be many printers listed there.
If there are, try and delete them from there.
Also, how are you deleting your printers? You should just click the Delete printer button.

Tell us what happens after you try that.
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

You might also look into the ~/Library/Printers folder to see if any old printers are hanging around. Just toss them out.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
shwc
Prospect

You are not alone. This has been a long standing issue, although getting better with each release of OS X and as there are fewer carbon apps (my personal opinion/observation). For me, the worst current offender of the multiple instances of printers in the print dialog box is Illustrator CS. There will be any where from 1 to 3 instances of the same printer, for each printer in ~/Library/Printers and for many printers that do not exist in ~/Library/Printers. I have not figured out how to delete these ghost printers as they do not appear in the Mac OS Printer Setup Utility nor do they exist in ~/Library/Printers. Only Illustrator believes that the phantom printers exist.

Last edited by shwc; 11-01-2005 at 08:18 AM.
shwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: