Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
jashmenn
Prospect

Locum? Memory Hog:

I've been having some odd slow-down errors. I have only three applications running: Safari, Terminal, and WhatSize. I can hear my hard disk working hard and when I run
Code:
top -o cpu
I can see an App called 'Locum' taking up as much as 40% of my %CPU.

A quick search on google gave me no helpful results...
But typing 'locate Lucum' shows a framework:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum

Any idea what this does?

-nate murray
jashmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
roncross@cox.net
MVP

I am not sure what this does, but try rebooting and see if the %CPU usage is decreased.

thx
RLC
Old 11-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
killerchicken

The process seems to be used to empty the Finder, when I was deleting some 200,000 files, the process was busy but disappeared when the operation was completed
killerchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
spookybathtub
Prospect

Once, when I emptied about 30GB from the Trash, Locum showed up and used about 40% of my processor for a few minutes. Then it went away.

Powerbook G4 1.67GHz, 1GB, 100GB, ATI Radeon 9700 128MB
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
wra_racing
Prospect

Also noticeable when using the "Secure Empty Trash" feature.
wra_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
otiose3

Disk Permissions

Also definitely noticeable when changing disk permissions. Took ~30-45% of CPU in top on my 8-core Mac Pro when copying permissions down to all enclosed folders on my startup drive.
otiose3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Rita82

Should locum be jumping to over 100% during secure empty trash?
Rita82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
ElectricSheep
Triple-A Player

You may find this enlightening:

http://unixjunkie.blogspot.com/2006/...ers-locum.html
ElectricSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
roncross@cox.net
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita82
Should locum be jumping to over 100% during secure empty trash?

Just curious, how can you jump over 100%?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
wdympcf
MVP

Quote:

Multiple cores.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
Rita82

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncross@cox.net

I was wondering the same thing, but there it was...117% and going higher...very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdympcf
Multiple cores.

Umm...I'm relatively decent at computer lingo, but I don't know what "multiple cores" means. Please explain. Thanks.
Rita82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
ataraxia
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita82
I was wondering the same thing, but there it was...117% and going higher...very odd.

Umm...I'm relatively decent at computer lingo, but I don't know what "multiple cores" means. Please explain. Thanks.

More than one CPU. Each CPU counts as 100%. So if you managed to use all of both CPUs it would count as 200%.
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
wdympcf
MVP

Sorry about the terse reply - yes, by "multiple cores" I was simply observing that all modern Macs have multiple CPU cores in them, and Activity Monitor indicates usages according to percent of a CPU.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
rs209

My unibody MacBook Pro has been working on emptying my Trash as collected from my Drobo via DroboShare for quite a while (several hours, the whole time with my MBP's fan on high). Since I have not needed to use this laptop much these past few weeks, I just let the machine work.

Now, 3 days & 12 hours later, it's still "Preparing to delete immediately" and the file count just keeps increasing. Yesterday the count was in the neighborhood of 53,502 files, today it's still counting and is now upwards of 76,030 files.

Activity Monitor shows me that Locum has been using between 75% and 165% of my CPUs ... and so here I am looking up info about "Locum on OS X".

Frankly I'm baffled to find that this forum post (started on Mar 2005) is still an issue in OS X ... and it's 2010! I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on a fairly new machine but apparently otiose had the same issue with his computer "Took ~30-45% of CPU in top on my 8-core Mac Pro" so I guess it's not so much the CPU speed that is effecting this issue.

Please note that I am trying to delete quite a bit of data off my Drobo (roughly 90 GB) however, it has never taken this long. Normally when deleting data off my Drobo from my Mac, the task is taken care of immediately. I have no idea why deleting this batch of stuff would over 3 days! The Drobo is not making any "good noise" like I normally hear when writing to the Drobo (by "good noise" I mean the sound of a hard drive writing or seeking data).

Any ideas if Locum is caught in an infinite loop? As I said, OS X is still preparing to delete files-it has not even started to delete them yet. Should stop the deleting process (by clicking the little "X" next to the deleting progress bar), then restart and try to delete this stuff again? Or do I just wait longer (like another 3 days)?

Thanks for the help,
_rs
Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Deverill

Problem or room for improvement?

I came here looking to find out what Locum was because it was hogging my CPU giving me more spinning beach balls than a California beach in June.

After reading this thread I see what it's doing and really don't think it's a problem after all these years but rather just the way it works. We tell finder to empty the trash and it does it. The only problem is that it does it with too much vigor.

It seems that putting a limiter on how much CPU/memory it can use would be a good idea for Apple, but usually emptying the trash is a small job and we don't notice it. At least now I know if I have a lot to trash I should delete it in chunks and empty trash with each chunk so I can work between chunks or just wait until bed-time or quitting time to empty the trash.

I wonder if we could just nice Locum down to make it behave with CPU usage? It would take longer but we could still work with the system.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
DunnDeal

Finally, Locum haslost it's teeth

Thank you all for solving what's cost me two re-installs, a full defrag, and major stress for a month on my almost new iMac, which my entire biz (nat'l TV show, graphics, logos, scripts), and I let my Time Machine HDD max out, saying "I'll get to it".

One night I smelled something and heard fans, and Activ Mon said Locum -root - 185%, then whole system locked. I thought somebody'd remoted my machine, and the age of Mac comfort was over.

There were 6 Gb of vid files in the trash
Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
rocksr

secure delete alternative that seems more efficient than built-in OS X one

I was frustrated by the locum issues discussed above, and while this isn't a perfect solution, I found that when I needed to secure delete files in the trash (or elsewhere), using this script used way less cpu time than the secure delete that OS X's Trash uses:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-...e-Script.shtml

I followed the instructions to set it to one-pass secure delete, and this works both faster than Trash's version and much more efficiently. Works well in the background. For just plain (non-secure) deleting of a large amount of trash, I still face the locum issues, and I also have found that deleting smaller groups of files at a time is about the best I can do to keep my macbook pro (using snow leopard) from getting too hot.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #18
PHUHKEWE_mac

Thumbs up Securely files

When you have the secure option enabled emptying the trash takes much much longer. You can change this by going to Finder > Preferences > Advanced and unchecking Empty Trash Securely. You can still Secure empty trash by choosing it from the Finder file menu.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
cwestonr

Cool Terminal still works fast

the old terminal command

sudo rm -rf /Users/username/.Trash/*

Is much faster then the finder empty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: