Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 08-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
filarion
Prospect

Booting problems, plus more messy stuff

Hi,

sorry if some questions have been covered before, but I tried every solution I saw and couldnīt fix any of my problems so far. Hereīs a brief overview for starters:

1. OSX 10.1.5 does not recognize .dmgīs and removable media (my hostconfig is proper, and I do have the "unknown" user on the standard pid). I still can mount shares on my windoze box via the finder.

2. PrintCenter does not work, canīt open the .dmg pcr141.dmg to fix that.

3. In the System Preferences I cannot do anything without explicitly deleting the preset Username when prompted to enter my password, replacing that with my root login and pass. also, I cannot modify any system folders in the finder and am not prompted for password as I used to be earlier. I also canīt delete a test user I created. When doing a "su" I get this echo:

localhost:~] filarion% su
su: unknown secondary group wheel; anyone can su root.
Password:

--

Also, when trying to login as root on the terminal, this happens:

localhost:~] filarion% login root
Password:
root login refused on this terminal.

4. I cannot boot from any CD, not my system restore cds, neither from the original 10.1.4 CD that came with my Mac by pressing c at startup. Canīt seem to get into the open firmware console or the option boot menu either. Maybe itīs my timing or Iīm just stupid - mac newbie here, whatīs the best moment to press those buttons (apple button, alt, o, f or c or apple button alone) and how long should I press them?

Some background, Iīve been trying chkstuff and fsck -y already - I was having troubles with getting my machines file in netinfo to run and was modifying various entries there according to writeups on sites like macwrite.com. I also installed pd earlier today, but I think the problemīs been there for a few days, I just didnīt notice. VERY likely that it started when I was messing with netinfo.

OK. Phew. Now for some pasting. This is the console log I get when trying to mount a .dmg :

2002-08-07 22:17:04.586 Disk Copy[346] checksum prefs panel device checksum popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.587 Disk Copy[346] create prefs panel file sytem popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.587 Disk Copy[346] create prefs panel image layout popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.588 Disk Copy[346] create prefs panel image size popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.590 Disk Copy[346] create prefs panel encryption popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.590 Disk Copy[346] imaging prefs panel image format popup is empty
2002-08-07 22:17:04.591 Disk Copy[346] imaging prefs panel segment size popup is empty
2002-08-07 22:17:04.591 Disk Copy[346] imaging prefs panel encryption popup is empty.
2002-08-07 22:17:04.591 Disk Copy[346] burning prefs panel burn speed popup is empty.
hfs: unknown group id: unknown
Aug 7 22:17:07 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[107]: DiskVolume_mount_foreign: There is a filesystem error with the device disk1s2 which was attempting to mount at /Volumes/Print Center Repair

Aug 7 22:17:07 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[107]: disk1s2 ??? hfs no yes Print Center Repair [not mounted]

2002-08-07 22:17:07.613 loginwindow[323] Can't connect to pbs object "RulebookServer"
2002-08-07 22:17:07.613 loginwindow[323] Can't connect to pbs object "RulebookServer"

Iīd greatly appreciate any and all help that doesnīt involving reinstalling OSX, since Iīm currently working on a few audio projects and donīt want to migrate (and really, canīt without being able to read CDs).

Last edited by filarion; 08-07-2002 at 03:42 PM.
filarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

netinfo likely problem

You say that you have been "messing with netinfo". This is likely the root (no pun intended) cause of all your problems. If you have a backup of your netinfo files, it would be a good idea to restore them to the previous state. Otherwise, try to repair the damage by comparing to a working system.

Just to take one symptom that you reported, the message you get from 'su': "unknown secondary group wheel" would seem to indicate that the group 'wheel' has been somehow deleted. Is this true? Look at the 'groups' using NetInfo Manager (under the Application/Utilities folder) and you should see a group called 'wheel' with group id 0.

You say you have been using the Perl script chkstuff which checks permissions. It would be better to use Apple's Repair Privileges utility (download from the Apple Support page).

But before you do anything else, you should restart in single-user mode (by holding Command and S at startup) and do 'fsck -y' repeatedly until you get the message that your disk appears to be okay.
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #3
filarion
Prospect

Unfortunately I canīt run the Repair Priviliges Util since itīs packed as a .dmg.

Anyways, you are right, I was just looking at Netinfo and I do not have -any- groups subfolder in there. Urgh. I donīt know what deleted them, Iīm 100% sure it wasnīt me - I have been checking out adblocking software that did stuff to netinfo, however. The only subfolders I used in there were users (to enable root), machines and lookupd.

Update:

Ok, I seem to have a REAL problem at my hands.

nidump group .

returns nil. nothing. argh.

Am I totally wasted or is there a way to manually rebuild those groups? Could I install over my current installation to fix the problem or would I require a clean install and lose all my installed stuff? Sigh. I DID NOT delete anything in ni...

Last edited by filarion; 08-07-2002 at 04:21 PM.
filarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:45 PM   #4
mervTormel
League Commissioner

from single-user mode, you might be able to niload a proper list of groups.

let's try and pursue that first. developing...
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
hayne
Site Admin

Unfortunately I canīt run the Repair Priviliges Util since itīs packed as a .dmg

Have you tried it? Maybe this particular dmg file will mount when others won't. Otherwise, if you have another Mac available to you, you could mount the RepairPrivileges dmg on the other Mac, copy the folder to a CD and then run it on your Mac. Or maybe you can't mount CDs at all - you didn't say.
But I doubt the RepairPrivileges util would help you if your groups are hosed.
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:03 PM   #6
mervTormel
League Commissioner

we can try the single-user niload to get your groups back. let's eyeball this real close for sanity, first. hayne? anyone? does this look kosher? ...

you'll need to prepare for this by creating a file in your home (or, more importantly, somewhere on the root drive) that contains the groups to load...
Code:
% cat osxgroups.txt 

nobody:*:-2:
nogroup:*:-1:
wheel:*:0:
daemon:*:1:root
kmem:*:2:root
sys:*:3:root
tty:*:4:root
operator:*:5:root
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
staff:*:20:root,<you>
guest:*:31:root
utmp:*:45:
uucp:*:66:
dialer:*:68:
network:*:69:
www:*:70:
admin:*:80:root,<you>
unknown:*:99:
smmsp:*:25:
above, you'll need to change the occurrences of <you> to your short admin username

then you'll boot to single-user (reboot and hold command-s)

fsck -y # until clean

mount -uw /

niload group . < /pathto/osxgroups.txt

# check your work

nidump group .

# should spit out the contents of the file you loaded

reboot

test, test, test
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
filarion
Prospect

Dadaa! :)

And there was light.

Youīre my own personal hero merv! Even though I couldnīt get niload to run in single user mode (prompt would just hang there, had to intervene with ctrl+c) your fix worked flawlessly in the terminal.app (su still worked afterall, despite some moaning about wheel) and I didnīt even have to reboot for everything to go back to normal, spiffy, osx goodness. Thank you so much for that list, I didnīt have another osx system to check for that at hand.

I think this might be a fix many users who have trouble mounting .dmgīs might be needing. No idea if any programm actually deletes those entries, but Iīm pretty damn sure I donīt delete subfolders in netinfo by accident

Now Iīm down to my lookupd configuration errors I moaned about in the UNIX forum and my inability to hit "c", "option, alt, o, f" and "option key" at the right time during startup - I never actually got into those menus using this method, always via select startup volume or shutdown now reboot. Any thoughts? This is on a Powerbook G4 800 and nah, the capslock isnīt on

Again, thank you, from my girlfriend too, you saved the evening!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: