Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Old 07-19-2002, 10:36 PM   #1
samca
Prospect

Using OS X Server As Main OS

I am currently doing development work in WebObjects and Dreamweaver on OS X Client and I am thinking about upgrading to Server. The goal would be to use one system as both a development workstation and a test server (running my deployed WebObjects application along with typical server applications). For 10.2 is there anything missing from Client that I would need on Server?

Thanks,

-Sam
samca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
Craig R. Arko
Site Admin

I'm not 100% sure I follow you, but you don't lose anything by running Server as a workstation OS (except a few hundred bucks).

WebObjects is a little finnicky about updates and patches depending on whether the development or deployment version is installed, but Apple publishes KB articles on how to handle that.
Craig R. Arko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
samca
Prospect

Thanks for the info on WO updates. I read the KB articles and now I am concerned about running WO Development and WO Deployment on the same system. Has anyone done this on OS X Server?
samca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
RacerX
Triple-A Player

I'm not sure that taking the extra step of having a system set up as both a workstation and a server is going to be very helpful. Web Objects is designed to let you test your site on your development system even if it is not set up as a server.

To take this a step further, before the release of Mac OS X may people would turn Mac OS X Server 1.x into a client system for WO development (so they wouldn't have to use a Windows system for it). This type of configuration usually meant not installing any of the server apps and just installing the development tools for both WO and YB. Once finished, a site could be moved to any of the platforms that could be used as servers (Mac OS X Server, Solaris and Windows NT). It is interesting to note that while Solaris can be used for deployment, it can not be used for development.

Most of the WO developers I know of had been waiting for quite some time for Apple to finally released a development OS that wouldn't require them to buy the Server version and modify it.

Most of the people I know that used Mac OS X Server 1.x as a workstation have moved onto Mac OS X... except me because I just like Mac OS X Server 1.2 better.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: