Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPod Info Center

Old 07-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
seema_kat27f
Prospect

Angry iPod showing wall charger picture

I connected my iPod photo 60 Gb to mac using USB cable. It is always showing wall charger sign. Nothing else happens.

I do not have wall charger yet since apple sent me wrong cable (firewire/USB mismatch between charger and connector cable)

Apple tech support said it should charge fine with my iMac G4 but it does not do that.

Thanks,
Simmi
seema_kat27f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
xlax999999
Major Leaguer

This indicates that you need a Firmware Flash not a charge.

When you first get the iPod and on subsequent software updates, you have to do what is called a Firmware Flash (this hapens when you plug it into the wall when that icon you noted is showing). Call Apple again and have them send you the charger that you paid for! Shame on them for not rectifying the situation and telling you you don't need something that is required to operate the iPod.
xlax999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
Makoto
Major Leaguer

It sounded like seema said the iPod package simply had the wrong wall-socket (a FW connector when they don't include the FW cable anymore, perhaps), and just said that while they replaced it, recharging the iPod by connecting it to the G4 should work fine, that's all.

Now, as to the other issue... you know more about it than I do.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
xlax999999
Major Leaguer

Makoto, you are missing the point I think.

When you first purchase an iPod, on the initial startup it doesn't go to the menu. It instead starts up and shows a picture of a wallcharger. To use your iPod you MUST plug it into a wall socket one time. Sure you can charge your iPod with your G4 but you cannot use it until you do this firmware flash.

Here is the Doc from apple:

"This icon appears on the screen during an update or restore that occurs when iPod is connected to the computer via a low or no-power connector. This can include some USB ports and 4-pin FireWire ports. When this appears, disconnect iPod from the computer and connect it to the power adapter. Then plug the power adapter into a power outlet. The update or restore will complete and iPod will restart to the main menu. "
xlax999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Makoto
Major Leaguer

No, I understood that. I was just trying to interpret what seema was saying about the mix-up with the charger that came in the box, that's all.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
Reflect_TRUTH
Major Leaguer

I lost my wall charger, but I found another solution for the required Firmware Flash. The iPod can also be plugged into a car charger. You may or may not have one of these, but I figured I'd put the info out there for ya.

Reflect_TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
metalhead69er

Help!!

Hey, I don't have a car charger and I lost my wall charger thing as well... the only thing I charge my ipod photo on is the computer... I just updated my ipod from version 1.0 to 1.2 and the picture someone displayed above with the wall charger going into a power socket on a wall is on my ipod... how can I get my ipod working again? Wen it eventually dus work will all my songs get deleted? wat do i do? thanx 4 ur help
metalhead69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
hivetyrant36

Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by seema_kat27f
I connected my iPod photo 60 Gb to mac using USB cable. It is always showing wall charger sign. Nothing else happens.

I do not have wall charger yet since apple sent me wrong cable (firewire/USB mismatch between charger and connector cable)

Apple tech support said it should charge fine with my iMac G4 but it does not do that.

Thanks,
Simmi

I have the same problem, only I got my iPod broken from a white elephant party, and I fixed it. Though, I do not have a wall charger. All I have is my sister's Nano USB cord. Do I really have to plug this stupid thing into the wall?!
Oh yeah, I restored the iPod since I couldn't use anything on it, or even manage it because I didn't have my friend's account.
I run Mac OS X Leopard

HELP!!!
hivetyrant36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
lidad66

wall plug picture

i have a white fat early type gen 4 with the wall picture i bought a charger the plug into mains with a usb interface plug this dosent seem to work it dosent remove the wall plug picture do u think it isnt powerfull enough to do the upgrade that is required i dont reall ywanna spens some more cash for nothing on another charger.. im a bit peeved off please help if u can..

lidad66
lidad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
greenz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlax999999
Makoto, you are missing the point I think.

When you first purchase an iPod, on the initial startup it doesn't go to the menu. It instead starts up and shows a picture of a wallcharger. To use your iPod you MUST plug it into a wall socket one time. Sure you can charge your iPod with your G4 but you cannot use it until you do this firmware flash.

Here is the Doc from apple:

"This icon appears on the screen during an update or restore that occurs when iPod is connected to the computer via a low or no-power connector. This can include some USB ports and 4-pin FireWire ports. When this appears, disconnect iPod from the computer and connect it to the power adapter. Then plug the power adapter into a power outlet. The update or restore will complete and iPod will restart to the main menu. "

I have been charging it but the sign doesnt come out..

yes its a wall outlet......

plz help.......
greenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: