Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 06-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
reddford
Prospect

Unhappy Disk Utility Error Message: Can not unmount disk?

Hi,

I turn to the experts for help. I'm a happy OS X.3 user, G4. I always leave my computer on. Recently I went on a plane ride and let the computer sleep rather than turning it off. Might be the source of my woes??

In any case, today I used G4, as normal, deleted some pics, ran email etc. At one point sat down to do something and everything was frozen. Hmmm.. I rebooted and walked away. Sometime later I noticed that I still has the little circle thing going around and around. Weird. Rebooted. Same thing. Hit power button to turn off. Went away for 2 hours, came back. It booted fine. Cool - worked for 25 minutes. Computer froze again. Oh, oh, I DO have a problem. Ran disk utilities - found several permissions that were problems. Found my bootable disk, ran disk utilities. This time it told me that the "user had stopped". Tried to run Verfiy Disk got message, "Verify volume failed with error could not unmount disk (-10000)". I tried to zap PRAM with Option-apple-P-R that gave me a grey screen with nothing happening. Right now I'm backing up all my files through FireWire to my old G3. Discovered that I could put the Disk Utility disk in the Trash on G3 and it came out of G4. YEah! I have AppleCare Protection Plan TechTool Deluxe disk. I'll try to see if it does anything. Any suggestions for what is going on? and what I should do?

Thanks so much.
reddford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

I'm a bit confused on exactly what you have done, but you should definitely do a "Repair Disk" (different from "Repair Disk Permissions"!) using Disk Utility when booted from the Install CD.
See this Apple doc:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
reddford
Prospect

Symptoms..

It gathers informaiton for running disk utilities but it takes forever. When I selected repair disk I get message "Stopped by user".

I booted to single user mode and after waiting forever got a message which I neglected to write down - but it had three lines that were identical, and said that something was blocked. I wasn't able to enter any keyboard characters at the prompt. It doesn't seem to want to boot in safe mode. (How long should I let the spinnign gear go on? It's been five minutes. )

I was hoping to back up my files and connected PB as firewire target disk. It started and then froze. When I repeated the setup the PB didn't appear on the G3 as a firewire disk.

I'm worried.. is this all syptomatic of a hard disk crash? (Fortunatley I backed up all my files right before Mem day. It would be painful to recreate the last 10 days but not work threatening. )

Argh..
Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddford
I booted to single user mode and after waiting forever got a message which I neglected to write down - but it had three lines that were identical, and said that something was blocked. I wasn't able to enter any keyboard characters at the prompt.

It might be useful if you could do this again and write down the exact message. (I don't recall ever hearing of a message like that.)

Quote:
It doesn't seem to want to boot in safe mode. (How long should I let the spinnign gear go on? It's been five minutes. )

Leave it at lest 20 minutes. It is trying to repair the disk and a badly corrupted filesystem could well take that long.

I'm not sure what the trouble is with your disk, but it seems quite likely that the filesystem is corrupted and that you may have lost some system files. Backing up in whatever way you can might be in order.

Some 3rd-party utilities like "Data Rescue" might be able to rescue some of your files.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
reddford
Prospect

Thumbs up Safe Mode Worked

It did finally boot in Safe mode. I left it on and ignored it for the stated 20 minutes. I booted in full mode - everything looks okay. Ran Disk Repair, disk checked out okay. A number of disk permissions were repaired. (I cant' cut and paste log because I'm writing this on a different comuter)

I'm interested in understanding more.

Quote:
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Libray/Filessystems/cd9660.util New persmission are 33261
Owner and group fixed is ./private/var/log/install.log
Permissions corrected ./private/var/log/install.log
Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/wtmp shoudbe -rw-r-r- they are -rw-r----
Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/wtmp
Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/wtmp
End quote

Does any of that have to do with the fact that the system wouldn't accept my administrators password? (It took the "short" version.)
Does it have to do with the fact that my system wouldn't boot?
That my TechTools CD won't boot from the CD? (I'm calling Apple on this I do have AppleCare Protection.)

Even more important - why did this problem occur? Because I used wireless nets in airport and hotel? i.e. was I hacked?
Because I accepted a bunch of files from a colleagues computer with a thumbdrive?
Because I traveled with computer in Sleep mode through the airport etc. (I loved how convenient it is - but maybe it's a bad practice?

Those are my three ideas. I'd love to know the answers to these questions.

Thanks so much
Old 06-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The TechTool disk that comes in the AppleCare box often won't boot new systems (needs an updated OS on the CD). Call AppleCare, tell them what system you have, and they should be able to send a replacement CD that will boot your system.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddford
Ran Disk Repair, disk checked out okay. A number of disk permissions were repaired.

I'm not sure, but it seems that you are confusing "Repair Disk" and "Repair Disk Permissions". The former can only be run when booted from the CD. It is also what (effectively) runs when you boot in Safe mode.
If you haven't done so, it would be a good idea to do the "Repair Disk" (after booting from the CD) again. Be sure to repeat immediately of it finds anything to repair.

Quote:
Does any of that have to do with the fact that the system wouldn't accept my administrators password? (It took the "short" version.)

I don't understand what you mean by "the short version" - do you mean the short version of your username? (not the password)

Anyway, the messages you quoted from the permission repair are normal and nothing to do with your problems.

Quote:
Does it have to do with the fact that my system wouldn't boot?

It seems that the reason your system didn't boot (previously) was that the filesystem was corrupted. That got fixed (it seems) when you did the Safe boot and allowed it time to fix itself.

Quote:
why did this problem occur? Because I used wireless nets in airport and hotel? i.e. was I hacked?
Because I accepted a bunch of files from a colleagues computer with a thumbdrive?
Because I traveled with computer in Sleep mode through the airport etc. (I loved how convenient it is - but maybe it's a bad practice?

It's not likely any of these. Filesystem corruption usually happens when the Mac is improperly shutdown - e.g. powered off instead of doing Shutdown.
But it can also occur due to bugs in the system, or disk hardware problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: