Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
lpp
Prospect

Calculator.app in Tiger won't Quit

I did an Upgrade to go from 10.3.9 to 10.4. When I start Calculator, everything works fine until I decide to Quit. I always have to Force Quit the Calculator.app.

Everytime I try to CMD-Q or use the Calculator|Quit menu option, Console reports the following message:

2005-05-15 17:40:12.453 Calculator[7863] *** -[GraphController settingsToStore]: selector not recognized [self = 0x38d440]

I haven't done anything (that I'm aware of anyway) to alter the app, but for some reason the selector is missing.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Lynn
lpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
nexttoyou
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpp
I did an Upgrade to go from 10.3.9 to 10.4. When I start Calculator, everything works fine until I decide to Quit. I always have to Force Quit the Calculator.app.

Everytime I try to CMD-Q or use the Calculator|Quit menu option, Console reports the following message:

2005-05-15 17:40:12.453 Calculator[7863] *** -[GraphController settingsToStore]: selector not recognized [self = 0x38d440]

I haven't done anything (that I'm aware of anyway) to alter the app, but for some reason the selector is missing.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Same here, I also remember another post in this forum. The problem is that it does not happen on all Tiger installations, just on some. Mine was not a clean install but an upgrade if this could lead us somewhere ...
nexttoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
lpp
Prospect

Ugh.. removal of calcviews fixed it

I recalled that I had used the MacOSXHints hint for adding the hidden calcviews (Graphing, Expression and Hexadecimal) from this link.

So, I first made sure Calculator was not running, opened Finder, went to /Applications and did a "Get Info" on Calculator. There's a plugins section, which I expanded, and saw the calcviews. BasicAndSci is the normal version, so I left that one alone.

After several Force Quits and trips to Get Info to reenable/disable various calcviews I found that I could keep Hexadecimal but had to give up Graphing and Expressions in order to be able to quit Calculator normally.

Give it a shot and see if that resolves your problem, too.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Irene
MVP

Perhaps you should use the calculator in Dashboard rather than the calculator from the Application Folder to avid the problem.
Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
lpp
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
Perhaps you should use the calculator in Dashboard rather than the calculator from the Application Folder to avid the problem.

I would but a) I would prefer that the Calculator in Dashboard not continue taking up RAM while I'm not using (whereas I can easily quit Calculator.app) and b) I didn't see anything I could do to configure the widget to do anything more advanced than simple math.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
nexttoyou
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpp
So, I first made sure Calculator was not running, opened Finder, went to /Applications and did a "Get Info" on Calculator. There's a plugins section, which I expanded, and saw the calcviews. BasicAndSci is the normal version, so I left that one alone.

After several Force Quits and trips to Get Info to reenable/disable various calcviews I found that I could keep Hexadecimal but had to give up Graphing and Expressions in order to be able to quit Calculator normally.

Give it a shot and see if that resolves your problem, too.

Bingo! This was it! So applying too many hints might be harmful after all .

I also prefer the "normal" Calculator much over the widget as the dashboard alternative lacks almost everything, e. g. the exchange rates and the RPN mode.

Many thanks!
nexttoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttoyou
So applying too many hints might be harmful after all

I think the lesson you should take from this is that if you modify an application, you should do this to a copy of the application, leaving the original untouched.

E.g. copy Calculator.app to MyCalculator.app and then modify the latter. And then use MyCalculator instead of Calculator. This way, when it breaks due to a system upgrade, you will realize that it is the modified version that is breaking and you will still have the original that should still be working.
I think Rob is careful to recommend working on a copy instead of the original in all of the hints that involve this sort of modification.
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: