Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 04-10-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
stefanburt
Triple-A Player

osx file system question

Hello this is a simple question,

I have a chm file which I am viewing with chmox but none of the images display.

When I opened the chm file with tubby all the image names are suffixed with the file name like this "something.jpg;0001"

Would this cause enough of a problem for osx not to display the image because the system can't understand the file convention?

Also is there an application that can remove all these numbers or is it a manaul job??

Thanks for you assistance

Stefan
stefanburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

There's no reason you can't use a semicolon in your file names. I have several like that, myself. You CAN'T use colons or forward slashes, however. If this chmox app is a shell-based program, you may need to \escape the character.

Corrupt file, perhaps? Have you tried with other files of that type?
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanburt
Would this cause enough of a problem for osx not to display the image because the system can't understand the file convention?

Yes - it might be. OS X has a relatively sophisticated method of determining what type a particular file is. Files are usually internally specified to be of a particular type but if this internal info is missing, it falls back on the file suffix.

What does the Finder say the type of the file is?

The 3rd-party application "XRay" (and others) can help in changing the type of a file.

To rename a bunch of files is easy via any of several third party utilities. Check the main macosxhints site - this is something that has been discussed there a number of times and some recommendations have been given.
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
stefanburt
Triple-A Player

thanks guys for your reply's.

hayne I checked with get info and the finder can't understand the file type so much so that it crashes the finder each time I try and check it, pc's must be much more forgiving when it comes to matters such as this where as unix has a more focussed approach.

thanks for the link to xray i'm just downloading it at the moment hopefully it will allow me to remove all the numbered prefixes from the files and allow me to relink all the image files.

thanks again.

Stefan
Old 04-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

If doing a Get Info on a file is causing your Mac to crash, methinks you've got a problem with your OS install. That should never happen.
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
stefanburt
Triple-A Player

Possibly but I don't think it warrents a system rebuild as it was a file created on a pc.

It has a very strange file suffix including a ";" which might cause some problems with the unix shell and would happen regardless of system rebuild.

But this is just a guess of course..

Stefan
Old 04-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

I don't think the semi-colon in the filenames should be causing a crash at all - there is likely something else wrong with your system.

You should try the standard troubleshooting suggestions:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...04011205473937
http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=7269
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html

Launch the "Console" application (under /Applications/Utilities) and look for relevant error messages. Note that messages are labeled with the date & time so you can use that to locate the part of the log to look at. Copy & paste the relevant messages back here so we can see them.
If the log refers to a crash log, press the "Logs" button (top-left) and go into the ~/Library/Logs section to find that particular crash log. Copy & paste back here the last portion of that crash log - the part that gives details about the last crash (or preferably attach it as a plain text file, using the "Manage Attachments" button at the bottom when you reply).
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
Jamesbond
Prospect

stefanburt

Hi I am uday.I am a system programmer newbie.I would like to know where are the filter drivers in MAC OS X situated and also the file system filter drivers.If not then how do I make them and which is the Platform for that.Please also suggest me the link for free download
This is a new question and no reply.
Jamesbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbond
Hi I am uday.I am a system programmer newbie.I would like to know where are the filter drivers in MAC OS X situated and also the file system filter drivers.If not then how do I make them and which is the Platform for that.Please also suggest me the link for free download
This is a new question and no reply.

Jamesbond:
Your question does not seem related to the topic of this thread. Please start a new thread for your question and give it a descriptive title.
I think your question would belong in the Developers section of these forums.
But please also give more details (in the new thread) about what you are asking about. I don't know what you mean by "filter drivers".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: