Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 03-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
hocksol
Prospect

Angry Connecting to Multiple Wireless Networks

I have 2 wireless networks running. 1 runs my internet via a wireless router from my living room, the other allows me to print wirelessly to a printer in my office. The router in the lounge is a belkin 4 port router and the printer is connected to an Airport Express. Can I connect to both networks at the same time without having to switch, using the airport icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen? If so, how?
Thanks!
hocksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
voldenuit
League Commissioner

No, one network connection at a time.

But if you set your prefs to strongest network, you get hands-free roaming.

If you interconnect the wired networks, it shouldn't be relevant anyway what station you're connected to.
voldenuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
kahuna
Prospect

Why not setup the Airport Express to extend your other wireless network, then you'll only have one network but printer will be on it?

(maybe that's only possible with airport extreme/express combo?)
kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
hocksol
Prospect

Wireless Networks.

Thanks folks. I have to run the 2 seperate networks because the printer cant be in the living room!! The cable entry point is in the living room, hence the interet network being there and the printer being elsewhere. Not that smart from the folks at apple though.
hocksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
CAlvarez
Hall of Famer

Huh? Why would you run your home network as two separate ones? The printer has a wireless print server connected to it, I take it? Just have that join your home network, then when you join the home network, you can use everything.

"MacBook Nano" (Lenovo S10) Atom 1.6/2GB/160GB Mac OS X 10.5.6
Gigabyte Quad Core 2.83GHz Hackintosh 4GB/500GB Mac OS X 10.6
MacBook Air 1.8/2GB/64GB SSD

http://www.televolve.com
CAlvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
cudaboy_71
All Star

this setup is thoroughly confusing. but, i think the OP is struggling with the capabilities of the hardware.

perhaps if you listed all the hardware you have in your network(s) someone can recommend the most efficient setup for your needs. i think anyone reading the thread is willing to help you out. we just need to know what you expect the network to do.

i think the consensus here is that you only need one network segment running in your house, making the original question about simultaneous connections moot.
cudaboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
DannyPhantom
Prospect

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocksol
I have 2 wireless networks running. 1 runs my internet via a wireless router from my living room, the other allows me to print wirelessly to a printer in my office. The router in the lounge is a belkin 4 port router and the printer is connected to an Airport Express. Can I connect to both networks at the same time without having to switch, using the airport icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen? If so, how?
Thanks!

Yes, there are several ways to do this one cost money and another costs time. Both solutions can be found HERE
DannyPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: