Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > OS X Products -- News and Reviews

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 AM   #1
Kiwilegal
Prospect

ScanSnap fi-5110EOX for Macintosh

Macintosh English version of the ScanSnap fi-5110EOX software coming in 1st quarter 2005 (OS X 10.2 and 10.3). This scanner is worth looking at if you want to archive tons of documents.
Kiwilegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
mthibode
Prospect

This is awesome news because the Japanese version is no longer listed on the site. I wonder whether the Mac version of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 is going to be included. If so.., then I'll likely wait rather than trying to take advantage of the $50 rebate today.
mthibode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Kiwilegal
Prospect

The included draft manual in English for the Mac (which I have been given by Fujitsu), suggests that Adobe Acrobat will NOT be included in the Mac offering
Old 01-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
kgeorgelou

I found the Japanese version of the ScanSnap OS X driver and downloaded it and installed it, hitting "OK" (the default that I assumed to be OK since I cannot read Japanese). Here is the link if someone who has a ScanSnap wants to download and tell us if it works natively on the Mac. I sure would appreciate knowing because I would order the machine today if the driver works.
Thanks
Kevin

http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/jp/download/mac.html
kgeorgelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
Japanexperts
Prospect

Post Fujitsu ScanSnap

I just scanned a two sided 65 page document into a 7.8mb file with my ScanSnap fi-5110EOX2 using OS X.

I didn't time it, but on my Powerbook G4 500 it didn't slow my computer at all. If I had a faster processor, as they recommend a 1.25 G4, then I'm sure it would be faster.

The scanner works from the push button, you just put the paper in face down, upside down, and push the button. Buy this scanner. I have been using an Epson Perfection 1640 with an Auto Document Feeder attachment, but this thing is so much faster than the Epson.

For those who want to download the software and try,

ScanSnap Mac Page

Download Link

I wrote this guide for those interested. If I knew how to post images, I would put screenshots in this post.

Mini Guide

If you are just using the scanner for documents, the adjustments are very easy to figure out even though in Japanese. You need to select preferences from the ScanSnap pulldown menu. This is the first menu from the top. These directions correspond to the Preferences Dialog.

First Dialog

This is the dialog that the preferences open to. In this dialog you select the application that you want to open the scan in. Adobe Reader is the default.

The buttons at the very bottom are 'Ok', 'Cancel' and 'Help'

Second Dialog

In this dialog you can select where you want your scans stored. At the bottom above the dates is a button that allows you to select the file name format. Because the scanning is hardware driven, not software driven, naming is automatic and not done for each file.

Third Dialog

Here we have the quality settings. Top selector is quality. Middle is how to handle mixed color and black and white and the bottom is how to handle double sided copies.

Fourth Dialog

Here you can select Pdf or jpg for file types. The button below allows you to select one file or separate files. One file is the default.

In this dialog you can select paper size. It is set at automatic by default.

Fifth Dialog

This is the quality vs. size dialog. Size is on the bottom.

I recommend this scanner highly. I think we finally have a low cost office scanner for the Mac. Three cheers for the programmers at Fujitsu who got this done.
Japanexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
Kiwilegal
Prospect

The English Beta OS X software (which I have been using for a month now) is rock solid and fast. I have used it on a 1GHz iBook and a 1.5GHz Powerbook and it is just as fast on each - at least I canít tell the difference. It swallows documents as fast as it advertises. In other words, it will do 30 pages a minute (double sided) or 15 pages per minute (single sided). I suspect the English Beta is just the same as the Japanese finished product with the words translated! The above guide posted by Japanexperts is not necessary any more. Ask Fujitsu support for the English version.

Anyway, I heartily recommend this machine. The paper feed is brilliant. Scrumpled up pages, torn pages, cards are all swallowed up with ease. And with the automatic straightening performed by the software, you get fast, clean superbly presented and economically sized PDFs in all common sized paper (except A3 which it is too small to swallow).

And when it baulks at some of my nastiest pieces of paper, it says so instantly and is ready to go again instantly. This has only happened in my attempts to make it crash with strange bits of paper and card.

You will not waste any time with this machine. Some lament that it does not have twain drivers. That is its strength. If it had to work through Photoshop or another Twain compliant application, the speed would no doubt be compromised.

With Spotlight around the corner in Tiger, the utility of this baby will be enhanced as logging and searching will be made easy. Though I doubt of course that Spotlight will be able to read scanned text as the scanner does not do OCR. Maybe for the next version, and for faster computers!

For lawyers (and no doubt others whose life is bedevilled by paper) wanting to contain and manage the paperwork from your own desk, this scanner is unbeatable at the price (and arguably at any price compared to competitorsí products currently on the market).
Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
Japanexperts
Prospect

Unhappy No go on Beta request

I tried to get the beta from Fujitsu with no luck. I guess I will have to wait for the release.
Dear Mr. Nordeng,

Thank you very much for your recent inquiry as to ScanSnap
manager for Macintosh English version. Though it is now under
consideration for the product development, the actual schedule
is not determined yet.

In the meantime, since the operation by the BETA version is not
technically guaranteed, we are not able to provide you at this point
of time unfortunately.

However, again we thank you for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

Yoshiharu Ikeda

Imaging Service and Support Center
PFU LIMITED (Japan)
Japanexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:21 AM   #8
Kiwilegal
Prospect

Try contacting Fujitsu Europe support. I emailed them (askfujitsu@uk.fujitsu.com) pointing out that their Japanese counterpart had a Japanese version of the OS X software for the ScanSnap scanner. They gave me a support phone number to ring in the UK (+44 (0)208 5734444). I talked to a support guy who followed up by offering to send me the English Beta. He emailed it and I have been using it for over a month now and cannot complain. It was sent to me on the basis that it was not supported until official roll out.

Hope this helps....
Old 01-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
kesroberts
Prospect

Thanks!

Thanks for all the infor here - I just ordered one. I was interested in the scanner when I first saw it, but was annoyed at no Mac driver. Very glad that I stumbled onto this thread.

Kes Roberts
kesroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
kesroberts
Prospect

Thumbs up Works Great!

I got the scanner today at works great. Thanks to Japanexpert's explanations, I was able to figure out the preferences. The only thing that I would add is that when you control-click the program icon in the dock, the top option is for a duplex scan and the second one is for single-sided. Otherwise, I think that the scan button on the scanner executes whichever of the these two is set as the default under preferences.

I was able to figure out the program by installing the windows software on my laptop - both verions are laid out essentially the same.

For once, something that does what it's supposed to do.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
sdmike
Prospect

There is a post on Macintouch today that says the Fujitsu has canned the Mac version. Can anyone confirm this? I saw this unit at MacWorld and it was really slick! It'd be a shame if they've decided not to follow through.The post on Macintouch is here:

http://macintouch.com/scanners05.html#feb03
sdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Kiwilegal
Prospect

Re the Macintouch post, the post reports that there is no plan to release at this time, not that it is canned. Fujitsu Europe support told me in November 2004 that it was coming out in first quarter 2005, on the strength of which I bought the scanner. Works fine for me with the beta software supplied by Fujitsu.

I guess Fujitsu might decide not to put out an official Mac version. But given that they have done all the programming already, there would have to be some good reason not to follow through. I guess if not enough Mac interest is shown, they might decide the investment in post sale support cannot be justified. Windows only again.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #13
Smelley

Kiwi:

Any possibility of posting or emailing this english version of the software?
Smelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
kesroberts
Prospect

Scantango for ScanSnap

I received this from Scantango last week after asking scansnap support:

"We plan on implementing the 5110 soon... Watch the web site."

So this will be an option.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #15
moseral
Prospect

I just received my SnapScan today, and it was very easy to setup. I installed the Japanese version of the software, plugged in the power and the usb cable, and everything worked great in the default mode. The pdf manual included with the sanner describes the Windows version of the software, but all the preference tabs are the same in the Mac version, so it was easy to change the settings. I increased the default color scanning rate to 200dpi so Acrobat can do OCR on the documents and make them searchable. Excellent product! No, Fujitsu, please release the english Mac version of the software!
moseral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #16
Quanto
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseral
I just received my SnapScan today, and it was very easy to setup. I installed the Japanese version of the software, plugged in the power and the usb cable, and everything worked great in the default mode. The pdf manual included with the sanner describes the Windows version of the software, but all the preference tabs are the same in the Mac version, so it was easy to change the settings. I increased the default color scanning rate to 200dpi so Acrobat can do OCR on the documents and make them searchable. Excellent product! No, Fujitsu, please release the english Mac version of the software!

Moseral,

Thanks for this very helpful prose!

Could you talk more about dark red text?

We currently manually scan 100 year old texts to .doc thence to .html.

What would you suggest our approach be with this more recent technology?

Thank you in advance for any effort you put into a response,

Doug
Quanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
moseral
Prospect

Hi Doug,
Adobe Acrobat has a built-in optical character recognition (OCR), which enables you to create a pdf document with ScanSnap, then use Acrobat to OCR the document. You end up with a pdf document with text that is searchable!

The only catch is that Acrobat requires a color document to be scanned at 200dpi (and up to 600dpi) in order for the OCR to work. The default setting in ScanSnap for color documents is 150dpi, but can be set at 200, 300, or 600dpi. I adjusted this setting in the preferences, and now Acrobat is able to perform OCR for both color and B&W documents. ScanSnap also automatically recognizes color from B&W documents, so you don't have to tell it each time you scan.

I'm not sure how this applies to your project, but I hope this additional info is helpful.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #18
osx-addict
Prospect

Talking Scantango...

I got an email a little while ago from the folks that make ScanTango and they're hoping to have a new release out on Friday (yes -- this Friday) that will have support for this scanner as well as two others! Yippie!

I'm told that their webpage will be updated to indicate that this scanner will be supported so it will be obvious without needing to search around too much!

-- Rick
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #19
osx-addict
Prospect

Thumbs up Let the downloading begin (for ScanTango)!!

In case nobody saw it, the ScanTango website is now claiming to have a version available that supports the 5110EOX scanner! I'll be trying it later this evening to see how it fares!

-- Rick
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #20
moseral
Prospect

Rick,
Can you tell me the advantage of Scantango over just using Adobe Acrobat? Also, does it automatically save to pdf or in a different format?
Thanks,
Al

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: