Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
amyk
Prospect

AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet

I have been struggling with this problem for over a year now, but it has always resolved itself somehow in a couple of reboots, but this time, it's been over a week and I'm still not able to connect to my home network via airport card.

I'm running OSX 10.3.5 on a 800mhz PowerPC G4 Titanium Laptop with built in Airport card with firmware version 9.52.

My home network consists of:
comcast high speed internet using a Motorola Surfboard SB5120 modem
Linksys Wireless G router

I was able to connect wirelessly a week ago, then once on reboot, it just wouldn't connect at all. There are a lot of odd things going on as well, but I've ruled them out as potential contributing factors.

I have a pc laptop with linksys wireless card sitting right next to my Mac, and it connects to the network just fine, so I know that the wireless router is working. And when I plug the Mac into the ethernet cable from the router, it works fine. I've had problems in the past with the ethernet not finding IP address also, but not at the present time.

I thought it was my airport card going out, and took it to CompUSA, and it picked up on their wireless Linksys network instantly and held it for an hour.

My signal strength is strong on the Mac, but I can't even get to the IP address to look at the router's configuration from it. No problems with either of my PCs. Address is 192.168.1.1 for the router admin. I get "server cannot be found" error on the Mac.

I've run Norton's check disk and virus check, Diskwarrior and have checked and fixed file permissions via Disk Utility.

What am I missing?

The guy at Comp USA found something odd about the file structure and a file that does something with the networking stuff. It was there, but empty, but when he tried to search for it, it couldn't be found. Can't remember the name right now, but would know it if I saw it again.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? This is getting to be terribly inconvenient, and I'm finding that I'm liking the PCs much more than the Mac these days - and I don't like that!!

Thanks for any help you can give,
Amy
amyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
TazmanDman
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk
I was able to connect wirelessly a week ago, then once on reboot, it just wouldn't connect at all. There are a lot of odd things going on as well, but I've ruled them out as potential contributing factors.

What are these other odd things?

Do you have the latest firmware on your Linksys router?

Is your wireless network password protected?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
amyk
Prospect

Odd things, etc

Odd things:
I moved recently, discontinued my cable high speed with comcast, got DSL through the phone company, hated it, re-activated my account with the cable company.

Somewhere in the process of finding out that the cable connection in my office doesn't work, I managed to plug the power supply for the modem into my router. Blew the router. Happened to have another one that belongs to work with me at the time, so that's the one I'm using now. Same router, basically.

I was experiencing this problem before the change from dsl to cable. So I doubt that any of that stuff relates to the problem at hand (just helps tick me off that much more...).

2 - I don't know if I have the latest firmware for the router. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do that.

3 - No, the wireles network is not password protected.

Thanks!
amyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
gsparks
Major Leaguer

You might want to doublecheck your router settings... make sure that you haven't inadvertently done one of the following things:

1) limited wireless access by MAC address

2) reserved IP addresses for specific machines

3) limited the range of DHCP addresses so severely so that
your Mac can't get an address from the server

4) turned off DHCP server capability on the router

You stated "Happened to have another one that belongs to work with me at the time, so that's the one I'm using now. Same router, basically." It may be the same router, but until you access the admin pages on the router, you have no idea how the router is configured internally.

Good luck.
gsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
lindaracine
Prospect

Hi Amy...

Wondering if you ever figured this out. I've had the same problem, first with my Ti PowerBook and now with my new PB. It's SO frustrating.

--Linda
lindaracine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
voldenuit
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaracine
Hi Amy...

Wondering if you ever figured this out. I've had the same problem, first with my Ti PowerBook and now with my new PB. It's SO frustrating.

--Linda

...hopefully, the thread is about to celebrate its first birthday in a couple of weeks ;-) .

If you want useful feedback, starting a new thread with all the useful details you can muster is probably the best idea.
voldenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
lindaracine
Prospect

In case it makes any difference to someone else with the same problem, I fixed this by attaching the Airport base station via the WAN port instead of the LAN port (on the back of the base station).

--Linda
lindaracine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: