Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 10-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
sproggy
Prospect

Superdrive with G5

In thinking about purchasing a G5 I'm wondering about the superdrive. As I understand it (read somewhere?) the superdrive is a Pioneer 105 or 106 or 107 can't really remember. In any case, it doesn't support double layer technology and is slower than the Pioneer 108 (which does support double layer DVD tech). Getting the G5 with only the combo drive allows you to subtract $100. The Pioneer 108 costs $100 (not from apple). Beside the point that you could order the G5 with the combo and buy the 108 with that saved $100 (therefore ending up with two drives instead of one), is it worth the hassle? How hard is it to install the 108? Anybody have any ideas?
sproggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
yellow

I had no problems installing the DVR-108 in my Quicksilver 01, which doesn't give you a whole lot of info since the guts in a G5 are significantly different, but I don't think it would be too hard. One thing to note, Dual Layer burning isn't supported in 10.3.5, and probably won't will be supported until 10.4. It IS supported if you have Toast 6 (I don't think Toast 5 supports it either). Also note that the DVR-108 isn't a supported drive as of 10.3.5, so you have to use PatchBurn to make it work with iApps. Finally, check out OWC for some more info on the 108 and the G5. And/or possibly http://xlr8yourmac.com .
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
sproggy
Prospect

Interesting...

...you have a Quicksilver and that's what I'm thinking of upgrading from. I'm assuming then, talking about the patch and all, that you have no problems using the 108 after installing the patch? I would think that support would arrive soon enough with OS, no? At OWC they mention having to take the door off of the drive, was that a problem? Also, do i care if the thing is beige, black, or purple? Isn't it inside the machine so who cares?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
yellow

I've not had a problem with any of the iApps (iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD) since installing and using Patchburn.

It's possible that the 108 will be supported with 10.3.6+, but I think it's rather unlikely. I think it more likely that the 108 will be supported fully in Tiger (10.4).

I've not tried writing to dual-layer media yet, it's too expensive and I've not had the need.

Taking the front of the tray (bezel (?)) off was no problem, it's just so the tray can fit through the QS's CD door when it opens. It works like a charm. I went for the cheaper beige color, it's rarely seen, so it didn't matter to me.

For me, I decided to enhance my QS rather then buy a new computer. With a dual 1.4GHz CPU upgrade, a 128MB video card, a new DVR-108, an ATA/6 card and a couple ATA/5 drives and my machine is pretty darned fast again. I figure I'll be clamoring to buy a new G5 in late 2006.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
sproggy
Prospect

wow, yellow

We have the same machine and that's exactly what I was thinking of doing, although I didn't quite understand if I was able to upgrade to a dual processor -I had been looking at the Mercury extreme 1.4 upgrade but it is a single. I don't know what the ATA card 6 does, allows you to use serial ATA drives? All this being said, you spent more than a new G5 1.8 single, and maybe more than a 1.8 double processor machine. After I did the math for upgrading my QS I thought it might make more sense to just buy the lower end G5 as it has faster all around performance (so I understand, bus, cache, all that stuff I don't really understand plus a faster chip). Am I missing something (I do feel a little bad abandoning my QS -ghost in the machine).
Old 10-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
yellow

ATA/6 is a faster ATA bus, so I get slightly better disk read/write speeds. Ultimately, I needed more (larger) disk, so I had to get one anyway. After all is said and done, it's about 1/2 as expensive as a low end G5.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
sproggy
Prospect

i guess i'm shopping at the wrong place

Mercury processor upgrade 1.4 MHz-$479, Radeon 9800 -$350, DVD superdrive $100, digital audio card $100, additional internal hard drive 250gig -$250 -this is (was)my shopping list with the prices I found (the hard drive is prob. cheaper...). But anyway, that's around $1200-$1300. The low end G5 is $1500 (with hardly any ram and a smaller hard drive and a lesser superdrive -though if I follow my thoughts at the beginning of this thread and get the 108 separate that point becomes null). I don't know how much the dual processor upgrade for QS is, I think I recall $700 or something. I could bounce the ram in the G5 over 2gigs for $450 or so and the hard drive I can add on down the line. I assume I wouold have a much stronger computer (as far as video card, I guess I would pay the $50 for the Radeon 9600 - I assume it would be enough power for me). So anyway, for around $2000 I could have the G5 with decent ram and I'm assuming a video card strong enough to decently power two monitors for graphic design.
Does this make sense? I think I just talked myself into buying a G5....
Old 10-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
yellow

Personally, I'll never go for the 1 processor Mac again. I just like dual processors too much. And at this point, I'd also go for a 256MB video card, and least a GB of RAM.. but if I was doing graphics as a vocation, more RAM is a VERY good idea. Plus more disk to help with all the large files, and you're looking at a pretty expensive machine.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
sproggy
Prospect

Overload

You're right, I'm right, we're all right and I don't know what to do. How is that dual upgrade? Is that by Sonnet? I read reviews of the Mercury 1.4 single that were great but nothing of the dual upgrade. Is the Radeon 9600 that much a dog compared to the 9800? I suppse $300 difference must mean something.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:27 AM   #10
yellow

I've seen some interesting benchmarks claiming that the G5 1.8 GHz really wasn't significantly faster then it's G4 counterpart. I like my dual processor quite a bit. At work, my last two (of inumerable Macs) was a dual 500MHz and (now) a dual 1.25GHz. Here at home I had a single 867MHz and replaced it with a dual 1.3 from GigaDesign, which then clocked to 1.4.

I don't know much about the modern ATI cards. I bought an nVidia Geforce 4 Ti. It's a pretty old card, maybe a year or 2 old.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:42 AM   #11
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Back to the discussion about the Pioneer DVR-108D. A sister company of Pioneer, PioData has released the PioData 108DX (see link) based on the DVR-108D. How it differs is that it burns DVD+R(W) media bitset to DVD-ROM. This means that any "plus" media burned on the drive will play on regular DVD Players. The DVR-108D only bitsets DL media.

It's been discovered that the hardware is identical between the Pioneer 108D and PioData 108DX. The Pioneer can be flashed to the PioData firmware using the firmware from PioData's site and the DVRFlash 2.0 utility. This gives the 108D the added bitsetting features of the PioData. It will still work great in the Mac with Patchburn III

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: