Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
wyclef
Triple-A Player

Flash Sites stall Mozilla Browsers (Netscape 7.2, Firefox, Mozilla)

Hi,

I've been having a problem with flash based sites stalling my Mozilla based browsers indefinitely. Specifically Netscape 7.2. I've tried to reinstall the flash plugin but it does not help. Anyone have tips on how I could troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks.
wyclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
wyclef
Triple-A Player

any ideas?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
Bigc
All Star

what sites are they, particular ones or any flash site...
Bigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
wyclef
Triple-A Player

Any sites that require the flash plugin
Old 10-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
wyclef
Triple-A Player

So in more detail, any site that requires the Flash Plugin loads and then plays for a a couple seconds, then gets stuck. And this is a key part I left out before that might help, if you click down on the mouse button, and hold, then the flash movies play fine. But when you release the mouse everything gets stuck again. I should have mentioned this in the beginning but forgot. I think this might be an important component in troubleshooting this.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
frankko
All Star

This happens to me on Flash sites that feature lots of complex animation (even on a dual 2.0 GHz G5 with with 4.5 GB of RAM).

What kind of computer are you running?

Note that on my machine, those same sites in Safari play fine, so it's a Mozilla thing, I believe.
frankko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
wyclef
Triple-A Player

1.25 GHZ G4 DDR - 1 GB Ram
Old 10-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
wyclef
Triple-A Player

Anyone else?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
wyclef
Triple-A Player

nobody has any other ideas?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #10
ulrichm
All Star

Could you give us a site where this happens? I am running Firefox and do not have problems with Flash.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #11
frankko
All Star

It happens to me at http://www.beck.com/. In Firefox it'll result in a spinning beach ball (although I can hold down the mouse button to get things going again, but as soon as I let go of the mouse, the beach ball is back), but in Safari (on the same machine) the site plays fine.

I'd keep an eye on this bug entry: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106397 (And feel free to chime in on that thread if you haven't already.)
Old 10-26-2004, 03:25 AM   #12
ulrichm
All Star

I have just visited www.beck.com and had no problems what so ever viewing the site. I am using Firefox 0.10.1.
Do you have the same problem if you log in as a different user?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
frankko
All Star

It has something to do with the speed of the machine and the complexity of the site. For example, beck.com plays like a champ on my dual 2.0 ghz G5 with 4.5GB of RAM in Firefox 0.10.1, but it stalls my work computer, which is a 800 mhz G4 with 1GB RAM and Firefox 0.10.1 (but, again, holding down the mouse button makes the site play, but the stall resumes as soon as the mouse is let go).

This site, however, stalls Firefox on both machines: http://www.motorola.com/seamless_mobility/

After the initial animation is over, some lines come out of the guy and a bunch of circles with photos appear in the movie, while text appears at the bottom and a find out more animation starts in the bottom right. It plays fine in Safari on both my machines, but in Firefox on both machines, the beach ball appears in the browser when the movie tries to display all the photo circles.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
ulrichm
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankko
It has something to do with the speed of the machine and the complexity of the site. For example, beck.com plays like a champ on my dual 2.0 ghz G5 with 4.5GB of RAM in Firefox 0.10.1, but it stalls my work computer, which is a 800 mhz G4 with 1GB RAM and Firefox 0.10.1 (but, again, holding down the mouse button makes the site play, but the stall resumes as soon as the mouse is let go).

This site, however, stalls Firefox on both machines: http://www.motorola.com/seamless_mobility/

After the initial animation is over, some lines come out of the guy and a bunch of circles with photos appear in the movie, while text appears at the bottom and a find out more animation starts in the bottom right. It plays fine in Safari on both my machines, but in Firefox on both machines, the beach ball appears in the browser when the movie tries to display all the photo circles.

Frankko, again, I have visted the motorola site and have no problems. I fear that something is wrong with your installation. Try to remove the entire Firefox and reinstall it.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
frankko
All Star

I'm on a fresh Firefox install already. I completely deleted my Profile directory last week. And don't forgot that I'm talking about two different machines. I think it's unlikely that something could be wrong with both Firefox installations. And also keep in mind that the thread starter was having the problem with Netscape 7.2. (And I just tried the Motorola site in Mozilla 1.8a3; the animation got a little bit further than it did in Firefox, but it still crapped out.)

What version of the Flash Player plug-in are you using? I have 7.0.24.0.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:30 AM   #16
ulrichm
All Star

Frankko, I have the same version as you have installed: 7.0.24.0.
I know that you are/were talking about two different computers. I have now tried to visit the site on my iBook with 'only' 192Mb of RAM and 500Mhz. Of course, it loads a bit slower, but in the end no problems.
I hope other people can shed some more light on this and give their opinion, recommendation and view.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #17
archimac

same problems for me, as Wyclef and frankko said :-(
archimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:19 AM   #18
tridiak

I routinely get the flash plug-in hang.
I get it usually when the high quality smiley face flash ad appears.
It doesn't always occur, but it does happen.
http://www.ucomics.com/ usually has the smiley face flash.

G4 Cube/450/384. OS 10.3.5.
Firefox 1.0.
tridiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
bimtob
Prospect

This issue has been annoying me for a while now and I haven't found and answer anywhere. It sucks when I have 5 or 6 tabs open waiting to be read and one of them hangs the browser.

I've seen a fair number of people with the problem, but nobody ever seems to have any insight into how to fix it.

Anyway...
I'm running Firefox 1.0 on 10.3.7
ibook 933
(happens in Camino, too)

Sometimes I also get the weird thing where the flash animation will run smooth if the mouse button is held. But when the button is not clicked the animation is hung.
bimtob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #20
dcasali

Question I can play the above flash sites... but I too am plagued by stalls

I have been plagued with stalls in Mozilla series browsers for over a year now, starting around Netscape 7. These stalls do not occur on every web site, but I get them often on complex sites such as the New York Times or Washington Post - not every page, not every time. I don't think it ever stalls on eBay.

When the browser stalls, the page status usually reads Done or Stopped. Menu's work but no hypertext data is downloaded.

I've never been able to pin down precisely what page feature induces the stalls, but I did just try the above referenced Flash sites using Firefox 1 and didn't stall (damn). I'm running os x 10.3.5 on a dp 1.25 ghz G4.

Now here is the wierd thing. When I have a browser stall, I have discovered that I can get things going again by opening the Preferences window and then (without changing anything) closing it. Off we go...

I'd love to know if anyone else can clear the stall using this procedure.. might give some insight into the ultimate cause.
dcasali is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: