Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
maddys_daddy
Prospect

Safari default window size--how do I set it?

I'm a bit annoyed by the size of new Safari windows--about 600x800 on my 1024x768 screen. How do I change the default size at which new Safari windows are opened?
maddys_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
FireWired
Major Leaguer

I'm not sure if you mean the resolution of your window, or the actual size of it, but here's how you can make Safari start with the same sized window when launched:
Simply resize the window (by dragging the bottom right corner around, of course), then quit Safari. Launch it again, and your home page and every new window should open up in that same size.
FireWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
maddys_daddy
Prospect

Wow, such a simple solution. Duh. Thanks, that did it. And yes, I was talking about actual window size.
Thanks again!
maddys_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
FireWired
Major Leaguer

No problem, I think this is true for other apps too.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
nkuvu
MVP

More or less.

Mail has an annoying tendency to forget its viewing settings for me. This has been the case since 10.1.2 (and when I installed Panther I did an erase and install). And Terminal stubbornly opens in the same position (all the way to the right, almost to the edge of the screen) every time. But that's more window position than size.

[/grumble]
nkuvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
FireWired
Major Leaguer

I've been having the same problem with GarageBand, but only when I start a new project. The window size is fine, but it is always positioned off center, and off the screen to the right.

Mail, however, is probably the best for me when it comes to keeping the same sizes and everything.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
YAR324

Safari start with site-specific individualized window sizes:

Nice thread guys.

How do we force Safari to open a particular site with an individualized window size?
YAR324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
jledingham
Prospect

I'm annoyed by Safari always picking a default location for the window when it launches, even though it has saved the size of the window. The workaround I've found is to always close all windows and then Quit Safari. Any alternatives are welcome.

YAR324: Here's a trick for forcing Safari to open a particular site with an individualized window size:

Create a book mark and edit the address. Instead of a single URL in the address, use this Javascript:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(1200,1100);self.location="http://www.apple.com";

Change the location and size coordinates to your own preference and edit the website address. When that bookmark is opened, Safari will always resize the window.
jledingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
goldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledingham

Create a book mark and edit the address. Instead of a single URL in the address, use this Javascript:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(1200,1100);self.location="http://www.apple.com";

Hi, as soon asi do it i get this line instead of yours javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(1024,768);self.location=%22http://www.apple.com%22;

how can i fix it???

Thx a lot
goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledingham
I'm annoyed by Safari always picking a default location for the window when it launches, even though it has saved the size of the window. The workaround I've found is to always close all windows and then Quit Safari. Any alternatives are welcome.

YAR324: Here's a trick for forcing Safari to open a particular site with an individualized window size:

Change the location and size coordinates to your own preference and edit the website address. When that bookmark is opened, Safari will always resize the window.

I know this is ages old, but still wanted to thank you for this info! LOVE IT! Thanks so much, jledingham!
punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: