Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPod Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
jfruh
Triple-A Player

ipod updater not working!

Hello-

I just downloaded the new iTunes update (to 4.5) and accompanying iPod update. After updating iTunes, when I plug in my iPod, it appears as a volume on the desktop (even though I haven't set it to firewire disk mode) and a dialog pops up in iTunes: "iTunes has detected a software update for the iPod. Would you like to install it now?" I click yes, and it launches the updater app -- which tells me that "No iPod is attached"! I've tried rebooting to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Edit: Oh, I should add that my iPod is the original old-school 5 GB model. Never had any trouble with it before.

jf

Last edited by jfruh; 04-28-2004 at 12:22 PM.
jfruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
cudaboy_71
All Star

wuh-oh. i'm not liking the sound of this. now i'm not so anxious to get home and install 4.5.

i did just read the info related to the ipod updater in software update and it specifically states ALL iPods released prior to april 28, 2004. it then goes on to state what it provides for dock connector ipods AND dock connector-less ipods.

so, there may be a bug. but, it doesnt appear apple is intentionally obsoleting our older ipods.

i DID install iTunes 4.5 on my pb tho early this am (dont use it for ipod management). and, at that time, QT651 was not available thru software update. may hap your computer is missing some necessary updates? just a thot.
cudaboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
sopo
Prospect

Try running the ipod updater by itself, without iTunes launching it. Also, check to see that the ipod is mounted. If not, use Disk Utility to mount it, then try the updater.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
jfruh
Triple-A Player

fix from apple

Hello all-

I am posting a fix to my own problem. Apple posted this knowledge base article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61937

I followed the steps described and my iPod updated fine.

jf
jfruh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: