Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > Tweaking OS X / Wish List

Old 04-03-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
tonio
Prospect

anti-spyware for os x????

i would certainly hope that there are some spyware detection/removal apps for os x.....are there? are there any for os9?

if not, i would put this on a wish list....

is anyone aware of any?

thanks-

tonio
tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
jacabsmith

Hey,

I am newbie here, I am also looking for a best anti-spyware, actually recently I used 'Adware Alert' anti-spyware, which I bought from www.adwarealert.com and Its rougue, believe me this is really a bad one, useless

well, if you have get any new and good anti-spyware, then please PM me..

Thanks in advance!!
jacabsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
trevor

Little Snitch: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
wdympcf
MVP

I second the Little Snitch suggestion as long as the following caveat is understood. There is no substitute for discretion. Little Snitch is great for discovering that Adobe CS3 'phones home', but that doesn't mean you should go installing any old piece of back-alley software. Do a little research on the net first and find out what other (independent) parties are saying about the product. I have tried Little Snitch, and I think it is a well developed product, but I ended up deciding not to buy for the following reasons:

1. I am careful with what I install on my computer. I only install software from reputable sources.

2. I am not doing anything on my computer that would get me in trouble if it were discovered (pirating software, downloading adult content, etc). I stay away from the shadier side of the web.

3. I have never noted any suspicious activity on my Macs.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Nicanor
Triple-A Player

ClamXav

ClamXav

Quote:
ClamXav is a free virus checker for Mac OS X. It uses the tried, tested and very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end.

Back in the days before OS X, the number of viruses which attacked Macintosh users totalled somewhere between about 60 and 80. Today, the number of viruses actively attacking OS X users is...NONE! However, this doesn't mean we should get complacent about checking incoming email attachments or web downloads, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no guarantee that we Mac users will continue to enjoy the status quo, but more importantly, the majority of the computing world use machines running MS Windows, for which an enormous quantity of viruses exist, so we must be vigilant in checking the files we pass on to our friends and colleagues etc. For example, if you're a wise person and you've turned MS Office's macro support off then you're not going to notice that virus which is hiding inside this month's edition of Extreme Ironing.doc which your friend sent you. If you then forward that document to a less wise person who has not turned off the macro support, then you have most likely just sent him a shiny new Pandora's Box with a sign saying "Open this end"!

Flippancy aside, I'm sure you get the idea: check the file before opening and/or sending it on to someone else. This gives you the opportunity to avoid the file altogether or at least copy and paste any vital information into a new document and send that instead.

Don't forget, if you run VirtualPC you can still become infected and lose valuable data on your Mac even though technically you're running Windows inside a sandbox. VPC will run any application you tell it to, virus or no virus, it doesn't know the difference. You can protect yourself slightly by not using VPC's "shared folders", but that's a useful feature which you shouldn't have to be without.

I have nothing to do with the project, but am a happy user.