Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 12-16-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
misterknowitall
Prospect

Question Folders First in Finder

Does anyone know how to force finder to ALWAYS order folders first in all views (yes, I'm a Wind0se convert). I was able to make Finder order by kind but it put the folders at the end. I'd really like it if I could set finder to always show the folders at the beginning of a content list. Any ideas, hacks and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
misterknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

It seems to me that this question was discussed before on these forums, but I can't find the thread.

First off, note that if you click again on the header that says "Kind", the ordering will reverse.

If you ordered by name (as is the default), you could adopt a naming convention for your folders such that the normal ordering will make them be first in the list.

The only other thing I can suggest, and it's not such a silly suggestion if you really care about this sort of thing, is to make sure that you never have mixed folders and files.

E.g. if you have a folder A that contains
folder B, folder C, and file D,
then create a new sub-folder named "Misc" or something like that, and move the file D into the new sub-folder. Then you will only have folders in your list and the problem disappears.

Last edited by hayne; 12-16-2003 at 07:57 PM.
hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
misterknowitall
Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by hayne
It seems to me that this question was discussed before on these forums, but I can't find the thread.

Me neither. I figured that would be the case but i was unable to find anything. Anyone else recall this thread?

Quote:
First off, note that if you click again on the header that says "Kind", the ordering will reverse.

If you ordered by name (as is the default), you could adopt a naming convention for your folders such that the normal ordering will make them be first in the list.

The only other thing I can suggest, and it's not such a silly suggestion if you really care about this sort of thing, is to make sure that you never have mixed folders and files.

E.g. if you have a folder A that contains
folder B, folder C, and file D,
then create a new sub-folder named "Misc" or something like that, and move the file D into the new sub-folder. Then you will only have folders in your list and the problem disappears.

Thanks for these ideas. I really can't control the names of folders all the time or i'd put a ~ in the name or somthing like that but that's only gonna work for folders I create. I'd really like to see folders in finder sorted by alpha and then files sorted by alpha.
misterknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: