Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
surlysteve
Prospect

Broken iphone screen. Has passcode. Need to backup on new laptop

Ok...So I had my macbook air stolen at the airport about 2 months ago. I luckily kept my old macbook pro 2,1 and have been using that till I can save up for a new air. I dropped my 4s on a tile floor at a restaurant last night. Perfectly flat on its face. The screen didn't crack, amazingly...but the screen is unresponsive. Unfortunately, I never backed it up to my old macbook with a fresh install of 10.7 so I have no backup history for the phone....perfect timing. Stupid I know...

I took the phone in to get repaired thinking a new screen /digitizer would be a fix and the tech found the connector on the logic board had separated. A VERY costly repair.

Is there anyway for me to make a backup of the data on the phone? I connect it to itunes and it says it is unable to connect to "steve's iphone" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter the passcode to sync with itunes.

I have tried multiple browsing programs like iexplorer, phoneview, touchcopy and ifunbox. They all seem to require a green light from itunes before proceeding.

I have gotten a new iphone 5 and need to backup this broken one so I can restore the new one.

Any ideas or thought's would be most appreciated
surlysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

You don't have a backup of the stolen MacBook Air ? (The phone data would be on that)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
surlysteve
Prospect

No backup of the stolen macbook air. Not a time machine backup anyway. Certain files were backed up to a drobo. Not a fan of time machine.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

And you didn't have automatic iCloud backups enabled on your iPhone?
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
macosnoob
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlysteve
I have tried multiple browsing programs like iexplorer, phoneview, touchcopy and ifunbox. They all seem to require a green light from itunes before proceeding.

You could try iBored, too: http://apps.tempel.org/iBored/. No idea whether it will work in this instance, but it's freeware.
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
chabig
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not a fan of time machine.

You should be now.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
surlysteve
Prospect

No icloud turned on. I found it filled up to often and would give me error messages. I really am only interested in all my purchased apps and photos. If I cant get one more backup, I'll lose everything.

I did backup to my air every single day like clockwork when I walked in from work. Foolishly I never backed up to my old macbook and now I'm up the creek. Not fun.

I'll have a look at ibored. It most likely works the same as all the other apps...needing confirmation from itunes that the phone is unlocked. Are there any programs out there that will let me input the passcode directly into the software to unlock? I hooked the phone up to a keyboard dock thinking,hoping,wishing and nada.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
surlysteve
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
You could try iBored, too: http://apps.tempel.org/iBored/. No idea whether it will work in this instance, but it's freeware.

Looked up ibored. Seems like its a hd sector editing/hex editor. Not sure how I would use that to get into the phone.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
macosnoob
MVP

No, iBored isn't the right app. (My mistake.) Have you tried DiskAid? http://www.digidna.net/diskaid

I don't have an iPhone. The best test I could manage with DiskAid was to put a passcode on a 2nd gen iPod Touch. I turned the Touch off and then on again. I didn't enter the passcode. Then I launched an old version of DiskAid (2.5). It found the Touch and let me start browsing and even copying music, video, and photos--no questions asked. (There are no non-default apps or purchased media on this Touch, so I couldn't say how DiskAid might handle those.)

I also tried with the current version of DiskAid (6.2.3), but that version is just crashing on my Snow Leopard MBP. Still, you might have better luck.
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
I really am only interested in all my purchased apps and photos. If I cant get one more backup, I'll lose everything.

Your purchased apps can be re-downloaded from Apple on your new phone. No need to wait for that.

But as to getting the other data (e.g. photos) from the broken phone, I'd enlist Apple's help.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Your purchased apps can be re-downloaded from Apple on your new phone. No need to wait for that.

Meaning, apps you've purchased can be freely re-downloaded using the same iTunes account.

As for photos, did you have Photo Stream enabled? This is part of the iCloud service but separate from the iCloud backups. If so, they should re-appear on the new iPhone if you've signed in to your iTunes account. Likewise, a recent Mac running the latest iPhoto would have your Photo Stream photos if you'd enabled that option in iPhoto.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
surlysteve
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
No, iBored isn't the right app. (My mistake.) Have you tried DiskAid? http://www.digidna.net/diskaid

I don't have an iPhone. The best test I could manage with DiskAid was to put a passcode on a 2nd gen iPod Touch. I turned the Touch off and then on again. I didn't enter the passcode. Then I launched an old version of DiskAid (2.5). It found the Touch and let me start browsing and even copying music, video, and photos--no questions asked. (There are no non-default apps or purchased media on this Touch, so I couldn't say how DiskAid might handle those.)

I also tried with the current version of DiskAid (6.2.3), but that version is just crashing on my Snow Leopard MBP. Still, you might have better luck.

I downloaded a trial of 6.2.3. It recognizes the iphone and then immediately a window pops up that says "Your device is locked with a passcode.
Unlock it and click OK."

I'm guessing it has something to do with the newer version of itunes on 10.7. It appears that it prechecks connected devices and all these browsing apps reference it for approval. I turned of phoneviewhelper and ituneshelper and nothing changed.

**** out of luck on this one. Thanks to everyone that had a constructive comment or suggestion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: