Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
NovaScotian
League Commissioner

Speed Download

I've had Yazsoft's Speed Download since pre-OS 9 days when it really made a difference. As the OS X's have advanced from 10.2 through 10.8, I'm not entirely sure that it enhances downloads at all. Since upgrades have been free, I've kept it current but wonder if it's worth it.

Opinions?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
cpragman
All Star

Haven't used it since OS 9 and since I got off a dial-up connection. It was handy for queuing big downloads for working while I slept.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
ricede
All Star

Ive also been using it for years. In India where power cuts are rampant - Speed Download has been ( and still is ) a boon, because one can just pick up a download where it left off, whereas with the Safari downloader, one had to start the download again from scratch. This has been especially useful for large system update files. Where i find it has lost usefulness is that after Safari 5.0.5 , Apple changed how plugins could use the contextual menu & SD is no longer available in these menus. I find now more often than not, that Safari bypasses SD and uses its own downloader. The last update that i received for SD was in Jan 2012, so it seems that Yaksoft have given up on it. Shame.
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
NovaScotian
League Commissioner

Yes, I too find that Safari often uses its own downloader, that's what prompted the thread.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricede
Speed Download has been ( and still is ) a boon, because one can just pick up a download where it left off, whereas with the Safari downloader, one had to start the download again from scratch.

I was under the impression that Downloads could be resumed in Safari. It's been like that since Safari 4, hasn't it? Just double click on the .download file, and Safari will resume it.

What's the science behind Speed Downloader? I've never been entirely sure why it should be so much faster than a "regular" download.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
ricede
All Star

That might be the case now - it certainly never used to be so. This was the reason i originally bought Speed Download.

However it was always necessary to keep Safari open while a download was in progress. With Speed Download it was possible to pause the download & even to shut down Speed Download during a download & then pick it up again later.
( Sometimes the power is down for hours, here ).

As for the "fastness" of it - im not sure it it faster - but it is certainly smoother & will use all available bandwidth ( unless set otherwise ) whereas Safari for some reason never seems to.

Last edited by ricede; 02-05-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: