Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Sumleilmus
MVP

1.6 GB files I can't get off my iPhone

I have iPhone 4s running 5.1.1 (9B206) - for the maps. It is jailbroken but not unlocked.

I think my woes trace to the almost simultaneous migration to a new laptop and to iTunes 11.

Now, on my iPhone, I have 5 audiobooks in the Audible section (not in the Audible.ipa app which I don't have, but in Music - the Apple built in app). These total about 1.6 GB.

I used to be able to delete such items by swiping right to left on the iPhone's screen: no more. The apps are there even if I uncheck "Sync Audiobooks." All the audiobooks I want to see will be there if I do check "Sync Audiobooks," but the malicious five are there too, after sync. The items in question are not even in my iTunes library on the laptop, as far as Spotlight knows. Also, searching iTunes internally does not find the files. Spotlight does find the files for audiobooks that ARE in my iTunes audiobooks library. They used to be on the laptop, but after listening I deleted them. They reappeared on the iPhone after the new laptop/iPhones 11 tornado struck. Audible is fully aware of the new laptop and has registered it.

I looked for these evil files on the phone after connecting by SFTP and recursively inspecting contents of MyPhone/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music
I did this first with my eyes, and then also by copying and pasting as text to a textfile and searching that with software.

Since the files I seek end in .aax, I tried a UNIX search
Code:
MyPhone:/ root# find "*.aa*" -print
find: *.aa*: No such file or directory
I also tried this by navigating to the directory in question first (I admit I'm not skilled with the find command, so mock me entertainingly or suggest a better search, please).
Code:
MyPhone:/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music root# find / \ "*aax*" -print
This also returned no hits.

Sigh. I nosed around in the nested file structure presented by Cyberduck, but I can't find those files.

Is "restore iPhone" likely to succeed? I'd like to recover the 1.6 GB, and if I have to rebuild my jailbreak, I can do itů but is there another way?
10.9.3 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 4core, 2008)
Sumleilmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Sumleilmus
MVP

Anyone?

Eh?

[these words here to satisfy minimum length requirement]
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
student13
Major Leaguer

Simple suggestion first, on the iphone icon in itunes, right click and press "transfer purchases".

If not, you can try to transfer audiobooks, through senuti , I believe it is compatible with audio books.
student13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Sumleilmus
MVP

thanks, but

Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote:
Simple suggestion first, on the iphone icon in itunes, right click and press "transfer purchases".

I have iTunes 11.02 under OS X 10.8.3. I tried right clicking on many things, without effect. When you say
Quote:
iphone icon in itunes

which icon of which iPhone in which iTunes do you mean? Could you show me/us a screenshot of what you refer to?

Quote:
If not, you can try to transfer audiobooks, through senuti , I believe it is compatible with audio books.

Senuti's browser apparently sees only "songs" and "podcasts." Its preferences do not appear to offer any options to include other media types.

When I look on the iPhone itself, I find 10 audiobooks, among them the 4 I want off the phone. When I look in iTunes, only 6 are checked to be synchronized with the phone.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Does this work on your iPhone?

Quote:
Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > USAGE (third item from top) > (if it doesn't show all your apps, click SHOW ALL APPS) > MUSIC > then you can push the EDIT button on the upper right side and select the audiobooks you wish to delete.

DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Sumleilmus
MVP

Bingo!

Quote:
Quote:
Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > USAGE (third item from top) > (if it doesn't show all your apps, click SHOW ALL APPS) > MUSIC > then you can push the EDIT button on the upper right side and select the audiobooks you wish to delete.

That is the way! I never knew that was there. Thank you.

What search string did you use, aimed at what target, to find the text you quoted, please?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I think you can get pretty good results, if you just ask your question.
I used "How do I delete audiobooks from iPhone", and then went to this result: http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1366266
(some others didn't really provide an answer)
If you search for "delete audiobooks from iPhone without iTunes", it's the first choice (at least in my search)
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: