Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Texasaurus Rex
Prospect

Deploying a Mountain Lion Image for Dummies

I manage a desktop support team at a medium-sized corporation and we've been tasked with deploying a Mountain Lion image to about 100 Macs. We need to deploy the latest version of OS X with MS Office 2011, Adobe CS 6, etc. to new iMacs and MacBook Pros as they come in.

We had planned to do this with a Mac server, but the server was cut from the budget, so I'm trying to determine the easiest and most efficient way to apply a custom image to multiple Macs. I've done some Googling on this, of course, but I'm more confused now than I was when I started.

I'm a Mac user at home -- iMac, MacBook Air, and Mac mini -- but on the professional side, I've only supported Windows in the past.

Any suggestions, insights or pointers from those who do this for a living would be appreciated.
Texasaurus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

You don't have $20 for OS X Server? It can run on anything - you don't need a maxed-out tower in a closet.

Set up one mac the way you want it, make a NetRestore image and take it from there.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Another option would be a USB drive - put the recovery disk in one partition and a working install on the other. Use Disk Utility to image the new hardware.

Note that this option will probably cost more than OSX Server - you will want a couple of decent quality 16Gb drives so somewhere around $75? Or spinning storage: $100 if you don't have a spare somewhere. Plus your time to carry it around.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
cpragman
All Star

+1 for $20 server.
Also, you can set one up just so, and then use asr to clone it.
Man asr has detailed instructions.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Texasaurus Rex
Prospect

It's not the cost of the Mac server that is the issue -- for one, the corporate IT department (I'm a contractor, so I don't have as much influence there) has a firm rule that all servers must be housed in the operations center, and they won't allow a Mac server unless they have someone in the NOC trained support it. We petitioned to just install the server OS on spare Mac Pro and keep it in our work area, but that was denied. Unfortunately, Macs are pretty much treated like third-class citizens in a company where Windows machines outnumber them about 30 to 1 and the infrastructure is pretty much 100 percent aimed at Windows. Since we are contractors, the corporate IT people are not going to let us have "control" over any aspect of their world -- that's the politics of it here...

If we go with a USB or Thunderbolt external drive, how would we create this image -- I've seen some references to Carbon Copy Cloner, is that the way to go?
Texasaurus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Others could tell you better on some options, and CCC does have remote imaging option.

You certainly You could clone devices with CCC or Superduper. You could either use one system as a master and use Target mode boot with Thunderbolt cable between systems or use an external drive or large memory stick with the master image, something in the 32 to 64gb range might be enough, you would have to look at the used size of a built system.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasaurus Rex
It's not the cost of the Mac server that is the issue -- for one, the corporate IT department (I'm a contractor, so I don't have as much influence there) has a firm rule that all servers must be housed in the operations center, and they won't allow a Mac server

It would seem that that rule applies to permanent servers. But you just need a temporary server - one that is up only as long as it takes you to image all of those 100 Macs. I.e. it's not really a server in the corporate sense - it's just a temporary tool. It could even be your own personal Mac that you carry around with you and attach to the corporate network when needed.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Should work fine as long as he doesn't have to cross subnets. If all the new machines are in the same room it should be fine.

If everything is new, and has Thunderbolt, then it might be faster to image things separately. If yes, then I would:

- Set up one machine the way I wanted, including network login (if any) and a local user. Make sure everything launches as desired and has all the updates.

- Use CCC ( or Disk Utility) and image it to anything portable. Use that to image the other machines using block copy mode.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
agentx
Hall of Famer

Welcome to a world of pain shoehorning Macs into a windows world ;-) with no infrastructure to support them ! and here hoping they are not using .local namespace for their AD.

If you turned round to IT and said oh BTW manage all your Windows devices without AD/GPO/SCCM then they would laugh. It is the same here in many respects. You do not need a server per se in server room but a dedicated machine would certainly help with all of this. We often drop in a Mac Mini with dual SSD drives just to do imaging and can also manage 100 macs for imaging/patching/MCX. Or you have to look for third party management solutions like Centrify to bolt onto your DCs.

Master (Monothithic) imaging is very out of fashion nowadays it has moved to Modular imaging which is preferable, but if no infrastructure to support it then you are screwed. I mean explain to them.....so we have deployed machines but how are we going to manage the settings & updates ? And a local Apple software update sever is also very useful.....or again WAN bandwidth will be fun and games too !

Ideally you need Netboot within 1 subnet for imaging and a good load of free ports on gigabit switch 10-20. You can basically have yourself off the main network and create your own imaging network or ask network engineers to create you own VLAN with uplink so you can get on internet and contact DC/DNS servers. You can setup Netboot using OS X, OS X Server or a Linux VM called NetSUS from Jamf.

Office and CS 6 are the biggest PITA to deploy and keep updated goodbye all your WAN bandwidth with CS without running local Adobe software update service or make your own packages using AAMEE. Licensing is also a PITA too......but hey don't get me started on that...CS6 time bombed the oteh rdsay bringing down 100s of machine ability to run licensed software. Obviously absolutely make sure you get Volume licences for all your software.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creative...eployment.html

Building an Image......well another can of worms but InstaDMG is what many of us use. The setting up 1 machine route often opens up many other issues and lots of manual clean up is required to create & deploy correctly.

Many of us Non Casper Suite users use Deploystudio it is a free fully featured tool and should be your first port of call IMHO.

And as far as patching, updating and deploying software many of us use Munki.

I have had to deal with the short sightedness of Windows IT most of my career in Mac so it is a very uphill struggle.
So what happens when another 100 Mac's turn up on network.....and iOS devices etc etc etc Monolithic imaging will kill you !

Must have Tools
Apple Remote Desktop, InstalDMG, Deploystudio, AAMEE, Iceburg or another packaging tool

Useful Links
http://managingosx.wordpress.com
http://www.coolestguyplanettech.com/...10-8-instadmg/
http://code.google.com/p/munki/
http://www.deploystudio.com/Home.html
http://derflounder.wordpress.com
http://managingosx.wordpress.com/201...in-2012-links/

All the best but really well beyond the scope of a forum really ;-)

Last edited by agentx; 02-04-2013 at 05:23 AM.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: