Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
acme
MVP

Router Help: will not reset!

I have a belkin wireless router N750 DB which I think I messed up when entered a new password..such that I can't get in either with the new password or with the previous password.

I am *trying* to reset the router using these instructions from the manual:

Press and hold the “Reset” button for at least 5 seconds,
and then release it. The lights on the Router will momentarily flash. The “Router” light will begin to blink. When the “Router” light becomes solid again, the restore is complete.

However, the router doesn't appear to actually reset. How do I know? won't accept the factory default password, and my wireless mac re-links to the network, which I don't believe would be the case if things were re-set.

I hold the red reset button for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, I see the blinky lights but I can't get into the router page so that I can, for example, re-load my Dec 7 settings back up which would at least get me back to where I was last night prior to my problem.

Any hints or tricks on how to actually reset this router?

Many thanks...I'm kinda dead in the water with it..

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Some equipment requires being powered off and powered on while holding down a reset button.
anthlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
acme
MVP

OK...I'll give that a try...still working on it here...

thank you, anthlover
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
anthlover
Hall of Famer

I looked at the directions it does looked like you followed them. Other options are trying to connect to the router over ethernet via web interface.

Restoring the Router to Default settings Using the Web Interface, P 27 of the manual.

symptoms
You need to restore the factory defaults using the web interface. This may be because the Router is not performing as expected or you wish to remove all previously configured settings.
setup steps
1 . Open a web browser on the computer.
2. In the address bar of the web browser, type “http://192.168.2.1”.
3 . Click “Login” in the upper right-hand corner of the page. The Router does not ship with a password, so just click “Submit”.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
acme
MVP

Here's where it gets weird...I tried hitting submit with just a blank password field. no go. then I tried using the password that came on the little card in the router's packaging. no go.

I'll try the other method you just suggested and see if that one works.

thank you for the suggestions...proceeding very methodically right now.

a
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
acme
MVP

something about this router's web page is all the way borked

I got all restored then went to put in a new password. double, triple, quadruple checked for accuracy. clicked save changes.

router will NOT obey this new password!

for some reason, it will obey the old one I put in last year, but no new one.

trying again to restore this POS.

this is why I hate tinkering with routers.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Odd. Well if it takes the password you have control at least. Very strange that you can not get back to no pass. You should be able to get it back to its defaults or at least adjust the settings.

What do you want to do settings wise whats not working?

It is possible that the router is just messed up. Usually its all or nothing when they do not behave. That is you might get some blinking lights but they do not do anything useful wifi or wired wise. That can happen after a power surge or a lightening strike.

I added a UPS when I lived in area where that was common.

Suppose worst case scenario You might have to buy new something. Airport Extreme. perhaps. Also before you throw in the towel, did you or will you contact Belkin? Is the router old? Warranty, etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
acme
MVP

Basically, things were (and now are) working just fine.

We have a neighbor who is using our wireless connection with our full consent and knowledge. In another thread, it was suggested that I put him on a separate Guest network...separate from the one we use in our home here.

I have set him up his own Guest network and password, and changed our in-home password. I expect to get a call from him when he discovers his old log-in no longer works.

Now, because I am a methodical, security-minded person (I do my best based on what I've read) I wanted to boost the security of the router admin key by putting in a longer one.

THAT is the part that isn't working: the router page will not acknowledge the new admin key. So, I have to again reset the router, restore from my saved config file, yadda yadda yadda...

It will respond to the key I typed in last year after setting up the router and my not wanting to go with what the router shipped with (which also doesn't work upon resetting.)

I'm not what you would call an important person, so it's not likely people would want to try to hack my network, but why be sloppy? You never know...

man, I am pooped!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Don't forget - there's _two_ passwords, on your router each with different purposes.
One is the configuration page password, which allows you to view or modify the various settings on your router. The other password is the one that you use to connect to the wireless network.
Default configuration password is the Login button, with no (blank) password.
The other is the default network password - the one on the little card.
Your old network password is likely retained, because it's still in your keychain. That would explain why your password doesn't work, because your system's keychain simply supplies the stored password, and may not be allowing you to enter the new one properly.
You should be able to delete that old password from your Keychain utility. Just look for the Belkin's wireless network name in your Keychain Utility, and delete that entry.
Reset your OS X wireless network settings in the usual way, and that should clear out that stubborn password. Re-enter your correct current settings, and the wireless network should ask for your password (and the new one should work now)
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
acme
MVP

DeltaMac;

I greatly appreciate your pointing out that key difference: between router admin key and wireless network access key.

I had no problem changing the wireless network access key.

And, I found the place in the router's web page where it says "this is where you change the admin key." and it just ain't workin for me. I was within the router-stipulated range of between 8 and 63 characters.

To my knowledge, the router admin key isn't something which is keychainable...there is no "remember me" button to click. Searching my keychain last night didn't show the router admin key, so I'm purty dang sure it isn't in there.

all of the other settings and controls, I was able to change and Apply Changes, and have them be retained and implemented, except changing the router admin key.

it is well possible that I am simply mis-understanding either the procedure or the place to make the change I want to make. Otherwise, the router appears to be functioning perfectly in every other way.

maybe a few minutes away from it will clear whatever's snarkin' me...

Thank you!

a
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Good to hear! I was posting while you were posting #8, so I missed reading that your router is, well, routing OK...
Maybe the router admin password is character-limited.
Could it be that one or more characters are invalid, which might be why the router won't accept the change properly?
Are you trying to change to a password with any special characters?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Good thoughts Delta.

Passes could also be stored in the browser, you can go to the Safari menu and choose reset (make sure you check every box). If the router is working then there must be some explanation with the difficulty in changing it. **** You might also want to try another browser just in case Firefox or Crome in case there is a funky compatibility issue or you do not want to reset Safari.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
anthlover
Hall of Famer

I also zipped though the manual the 8–63 characters of your choice is only for the Wifi network, at least according the manual.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Good to hear! I was posting while you were posting #8, so I missed reading that your router is, well, routing OK...
Maybe the router admin password is character-limited.
Could it be that one or more characters are invalid, which might be why the router won't accept the change properly?
Are you trying to change to a password with any special characters?

If I'm reading correctly, passwords of between 8 and 63 characters are allowed. My passwords are well within these limits, and I am not using any weird characters...just whatever's easily typeable on the keyboard, upper/lower, alpha-numeric.

Now, I would *think* (and hope) that if there were a problem with a password, say a mis-match, or some other problem, the router's page would alert me and NOT allow the changes to be applied.

The fact that it does is to me an additional layer of problem to this.

ie, do my passwords match? are they "legitimate" in the eyes of the router? I'll never learn from the router page; only through painful and time-snorting trial-and-error.

*if* safari were to keep the router password, then why wouldn't it simply log me in straight away?

a
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Agreed that is why u might want to try firefox or chrome in case its a weird compatabilty issue. Maybe it requires a pop up and you have pop up blocker enabled which can happen in any browser?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: