Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
mnewman
MVP

iPhoto Doesn't "See" Photos Edited on iPhone

I don't use iPhoto much, but it is handy for importing photos to an iOS device for sharing with relatives when you're traveling.

This on iPhoto 9.2.3:

Photos that I edit on the iPhone using the simple (Photos app) editor cannot be imported into iPhoto. If I copy the photos from the iPhone to my desktop machine (using Image Capture) the photos display fine with Graphic Converter, Preview, GIMP, etc. However, if I import them into iPhoto, both the thumbnail and full size photo are either completely black or only display part of the image.

If I connect to the iPhone directly from iPhoto, the edited images simply do not show up for import. iPhoto simply skips over them, even though they are still visible on the iPhone.

Photos edited with iPhoto for iOS do show up for import.

I also tried choosing an old, never-edited photo on the iPhone. I cropped it on the iPhone. When I looked at the iPhone with iPhoto, the old, uncropped thumbnail still showed as available for import. But, when I went to import it I got the following error message:

Quote:
Unreadable Files: 1

The following file could not be imported. The file is in an unrecognized format.

IMG_4780.JPG

Is it actually possible that the Photos app on the iPhone creates image files that are not compatible with iPhoto for Mac?

I have tried:
  • Checking permission on the iPhoto Library
  • Rebuilding the iPhoto database
  • Deleting the iPhoto cache
  • Deleting the iPhoto preferences
  • Creating a new iPhoto Library
  • Creating a new user account and a new iPhoto Library on that account

Anything else I should try?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
cpragman
All Star

try this...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1336418
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I just tested, taking a slightly different tack, and this seemed to work.
  1. I took a picture on an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.
  2. I went into the iPhone Photos app, then went to the Photo Stream version of the picture I just took (not than Camera Roll version).
  3. I cropped and saved it.
  4. It appeared in iPhoto on the Mac where (obviously) I have Photo Stream enabled for automatic delivery of iPhone photos.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
mnewman
MVP

As I recall, I didn't have any difficulty when I had Photo Stream activated. (I turned it off because of battery drain problems.)

I think I've found the problem though. Somehow, editing the photo with Photos app alters the EXIF data in such a way as to be incompatible with iPhoto on the Mac. I tried stripping the EXIF data from one of the offending photos and then it imported into iPhoto just fine.

The main difference I see is that photos edited with Photos app contain a bunch of XMP data (XML encoded editing info) which unedited photos do not have.

Example:

Code:
---- XMP-crs ----
Crop Angle:
Crop Top:
Crop Bottom:
Crop Left:
Crop Right:
Has Crop:
True
Already Applied:
False
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
I think I've found the problem though. Somehow, editing the photo with Photos app alters the EXIF data in such a way as to be incompatible with iPhoto on the Mac. I tried stripping the EXIF data from one of the offending photos and then it imported into iPhoto just fine.

The main difference I see is that photos edited with Photos app contain a bunch of XMP data (XML encoded editing info) which unedited photos do not have.

I don't use iPhoto. I do use Photo Stream for moving pictures from my iPhone to my Mac with a variation on this article from the main Hints site (short version: grab the photos from within ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement).

I point this out because of what what I saw when I tested earlier and how it may apply to what I quoted from mnewman. In iPhoto, the picture I'd taken appeared under Photo Stream, as did the cropped version. All sounds good. But here's the oddity: The photos in ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement were identical copies of the original picture.

It's as if a phone-modified photo isn't saved, even though the user has tapped the Save button. That may explain both the issue seen with importing edited photos and the last two lines of the EXIF data:

Code:
Has Crop:
True
Already Applied:
False
I don't know if that all counts as a bug or a design decision.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
mnewman
MVP

Good point. Very interesting.

If you edit a photo with Photos app and then move to your Mac using Image Capture, you get only the edited version, right? But with Photo Stream you get the full version with the editing saved only in the XMP data?

Am I understanding this?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
Good point. Very interesting.

If you edit a photo with Photos app and then move to your Mac using Image Capture, you get only the edited version, right? But with Photo Stream you get the full version with the editing saved only in the XMP data?

Am I understanding this?

I just did two tests and here's what I got.

Test 1: Picture Taken With Camera.app Then Immediately Cropped

Going to the Camera Roll accessible from within the Camera app shows only one photo, the cropped version.

1A: Photo Stream in iPhoto: The cropped version was displayed.

1B: Picture Imported with Image Capture: The cropped version was displayed.

1C: Photo Stream in the Finder: The non-cropped version was shown.

Test 2: Picture Taken With Camera.app, Then I Went to Photos.app, Selected Photo Stream, Then Cropped the Image.

Taking this route to cropping the image leaves two versions showing on the phone in Photos > Photo Stream, the original version and the cropped one.

2A: Photo Stream in iPhoto: Both the original and the cropped versions are displayed.

2B: Picture Imported with Image Capture: The photo is shown twice, both looking like the uncropped original. This is what I see when I import them, too.

2C: Photo Stream in the Finder: Just like with Image Capture, two copies of the photo are shown and they both look like the uncropped original.

I opened all of these images in Preview and showed the Inspector. All of them have EXIF data except for 1A, the one version that was cropped after being sent to the Mac in one way or another.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
mnewman
MVP

This is just too strange. I just took two photos with Camera app. The first I immediately cropped in Camera app. The second I opened in Photos app and cropped it there.

I tried to import both directly into iPhoto. Much to my surprise, it worked for both photos. Why am I surprised? Because yesterday iPhoto refused to import any photo edited on the iPhone. iPhoto displays only the cropped version of both photos.

I then used Image Capture to move the photos from the iPhone to my Mac Desktop. Much to my surprise Image Capture moved only the unedited photos to the Mac. Why am I surprised? Because yesterday Image Capture copied only the edited versions of photos edited on the iPhone. (I copied a huge batch of photos I had recently taken in Laos. Only the edited versions ended up on the Mac.)

I then moved the photos from the Mac Desktop to iPhoto. iPhoto displays the cropped version, even though the uncropped version appears on the Mac Desktop.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
mnewman
MVP

Another oddity. I have a cropped photo taken in Laos that iPhoto can't handle. It doesn't even show up as an importable photo on the iPhone. That photo is just skipped. If I copy that photo from the Desktop to iPhoto, the image is messed up: it has a big black bar running down one side where I cropped it. But, if I use Image Capture to move that photo from the iPhone to iPhoto, it imports perfectly.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Right, something is askew one way or another. You've seen different behaviors from one instance to the next, and what I saw in my multi-test effort also diverged from what you saw in your initial post (paragraph #4 of that comment). It's going to require more testing, but I figure there's something we're missing simply because there's typically a pattern of some sort behind things like this.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
mnewman
MVP

One other interesting note: With the iPhone connected, Image Capture "sees" all the photos on the phone, but iPhoto does not "see" most of the photos that were edited on the phone.

My guess is that it is something in the EXIF data; maybe the thumbnail, maybe the XMP stuff.

Also, if I use Graphic Converter to strip all the EXIF data, I can move the iOS edited photos from Mac file system into the iPhoto Library with no problem.

It must be the EXIF, but what part remains a mystery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: