Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Juno42
Prospect

Question Need to make a bootable Snow Leopard USB stick...in windows.

My Leopard OS has somehow been corrupted, so I bought Snow Leopard to finally upgrade it. But my DVD/CD drive has been working poorly for some time, so I can't use the disk to install it. For various financial reasons, the only thing I have available is an 8G USB drive. Every other machine available to me (within my budget) is a Windows machine.

I know that making bootable OS installation drives with USB sticks is possible with both Mac and Windows, but is it possible to make a Mac OS installable drive in Windows, and use it on a Macbook (2008-ish)?

Please note that my current system simply doesn't boot up anymore, so essentially I have an unusable Macbook until I can install the system.

Any help at all is deeply appreciated.
Juno42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Maybe. You would have to find a Windows program to copy the install disc to the USB drive fully intact - including the partition table. If you format the drive on a windows computer it will very likely not work. A file copy definitely won't work.

You could also borrow an external cd/dvd drive and use that to start the computer - it doesn't have to be a Mac-specific optical drive.

There is also, depending on the age of your computer (it's in the "maybe" era), the wireless boot option with remote disc sharing. See Apple's website for details.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
cpragman
All Star

Perhaps VirtualBox (free) would help? Run a virtual Mac session on your pc. Boot the Mac session with your Mac install disc. Use Mac disk utility to format the USB stick as hfs+ and then copy the install disk to it.

Might work
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Juno42
Prospect

Thank you both for the suggestions.

cpragman: I think I'll keep VirtualBox as a last resort, since I'm using a friend's Windows. What I did try is a program called TransMac, and it seems to be formatting the USB fine as a .dmg of the install disks, which is what several site suggested.

But is there something else i need to do to make the drive bootable, because the macbook won't see it when I try to find it as a boot drive. And acme: I'm only familiar with partitions theoretically. Could that be what I'm missing?

EDIT: I guess VirtualBox MacOSX is experimental right now, and only works on Mac hosts. Didn't work when I tried it.

Last edited by Juno42; 03-18-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno42
I'm only familiar with partitions theoretically. Could that be what I'm missing?

Probably. If the drive isn't formatted as HFS+ with a GUID partition table (neither of which can be done on Windows without extra software) then it won't work.

No chance you can get your hands on an external optical drive?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Juno42
Prospect

I tried finding a loose optical drive; mo luck. I did format the flash as HFS+, but they didn't really mention GUID. Do you know what sort of software is needed for a GUID partition?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

I use Disk Utility. Not much help on Windows though.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
soho
Major Leaguer

Try this Hackintosh forum:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-x-discussion/
Without a doubt someone will know how to format and install SL on a USB bootable stick using Windows.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
KlineMayra

Hello guys.
I'm a macbook owner. It's four years old already. And recently it started to make some bugs.
So, my friend told me that I should reinstall OS. Is it true? How much it will cost me?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: