Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
acme
MVP

Resote bootable image: failure

I have a bootable image, made with CCC which I have used several times, successfully, to restore a working OSX install, complete with all applications onto the computer I used to make this image, a Mac Pro.

I would like to now install that bootable image onto a partition of a Mac Book Pro, however, whichever method I try, the procedure fails.

in past, using Disk Utility "Restore," I have succeeded onto the Mac Pro, but going to the Mac BOOK Pro, it complains that it can't scan or image is in use or some other rubbish.

CCC either merely copies the data over, or *appears* to have installed, only to have a kernel panic occur when I try to boot into the newly "installed" image.

I am stumped.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

thank you!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Different models of Mac need different system components in order to work. If your Mac Pro was installed from a bundled installer disk (or has the OS version that it came with); then that will not have the drivers and other components that your MBP needs.

If the MBP is newer than the OS version you are installing, that might also cause problems.

It might help to tell us what exact model the Mac Pro and MBP are; what OS version is on the image; the source of that OS version (i.e what sort of installer disk, App Store, factory image, etc); and the exact wording of the rubbish.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
macosnoob
MVP

Given the hardware differences (Mac Pro vs. MacBook Pro), I wouldn't expect a CCC-clone of the Mac Pro to work on the MacBook Pro. Instead, I'd put a fresh install of the OS on the MacBook Pro's target partition and then use Migration Assistant (Mac Pro > MacBook Pro) to accomplish the task.
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
acme
MVP

Mac Pro 2009 8-core "Nehalem" 2.26ghz
Mac BOOK Pro: 2010 13", 2.66ghz Core 2 Duo
Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
Given the hardware differences (Mac Pro vs. MacBook Pro), I wouldn't expect a CCC-clone of the Mac Pro to work on the MacBook Pro. Instead, I'd put a fresh install of the OS on the MacBook Pro's target partition and then use Migration Assistant (Mac Pro > MacBook Pro) to accomplish the task.

I am not sure what you are indicating here... I do have a fresh, brand-new install of Lion on one of the partitions..

On the other, now empty one, is where I'd like this disc image to install a bootable volume with all the goodies on it.

I do have a partition on the Mac Pro desktop with a bootable volume from this disc image fully functional and running..

...is there a way to capture that bootable volume into something that can be cloned onto the Mac BOOK Pro's now-empty partition?

the free partition on the MBP is 158GB; the disc image is 64GB, so I'd guess there's enough space on the MBP to accommodate it.

thank you,

a
Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
macosnoob
MVP

I'm saying that the image that came from one type of Mac won't necessarily work on another. (Sometimes you get lucky, but there's no predicting what's going to work. My own unresolved case in point here: http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=108116.) So I'd put Lion on that blank MBP partition and then migrate the Mac Pro data over. Yes, it will take more time to migrate, but the migration process will strip away any Mac Pro-specific dependencies and replace them with MBP-specific dependencies.
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
acme
MVP

I need the image to be Leopard, so would your idea work equally well to install Leopard, and THEN use migration assistant to pull in from that same volume which now exists on the Mac Pro Desktop?

thank you!

a
Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Your MacPro came with Leopard, so no real issue with having both a Leopard boot, and a Lion boot on the MacPro.
The MacBook Pro never came with Leopard (too new), so your plan for Leopard on a 2010 MacBook Pro is doomed to failure. You can certainly do two bootable partitions, one with Lion, and one with Snow Leopard - then life on the MacBook Pro would be Good...
If you NEED Leopard on the MacBook Pro to use some specific software that won't run on a newer OS X version, then you may be SOL on the MBPro, and you'll need to pursue options that don't involve Leopard on the MBPro... does that make sense?
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
acme
MVP

yeah, come to think, currently that is Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro, so to have Snow on the MBP would make that migration work I'd guess...

thank you this whole process gets tedious after awhile..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: