Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
uzapuca
All Star

Smile Apple Mail / Extract Emails Addresses without Agenda

Hi guys,

I am moving to another country and will not have my iMac for almost 2 months. So in the meantime i will have to use a PC. I would like to know if there any way to extract all of my Apple Mail Email Addresses without using Agenda. I notice that i can export VCARDS from Agenda but many many email addresses from Apple Mail are missing. I don't have time now to go one by one of my hundred emails and include them in Agenda. So that is why i was asking if there is a direct way to export email addresses from Apple Mail.

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,
S
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I'm not familiar with Agenda (a calendar application, right?), so I'm not clear how it pertains to what you're trying to do. But it sounds like you haven't been using the built-in Address Book which should properly create a vCard of all your contacts. If that's not an option, here's something you can do:
  1. Copy this script from MacScripters into AppleScript Editor:
    Code:
     do shell script "sqlite3 -header -separator '    ' " & quoted form of POSIX path of ((path to application support from user domain as text) & "AddressBook:MailRecents-v4.abcdmr") & " 'select * from ZABCDMAILRECENT' > ~/Desktop/MailRecents-v4.txt
  2. At the top of the AppleScript Editor is a Run button. Press that and in a second you'll have a text file on your Desktop called MailRecents-v4.txt. You can quit AppleScript Editor without saving the script.
  3. It's sort of a messy file, but we can deal with that if you have Excel (or any spreadsheet program).
  4. From within Excel, select File > Open and navigate to this text file.
  5. This will give you some import options, and you want to be certain to tell it to use Tabs for delimiters.
  6. Once that's done, you'll have a spreadsheet with all the information in columns. You can now clear out the columns you don't need.
I guess an alternative approach to all that—I'll let you decide if it's better or worse—is to open Mail and go to Window > Previous Recipients. When that opens, use Edit > Select All, then press the Add To Address Book button. Or you could individually add the addresses you want to Address Book. Afterward, open Address Book, select the All Contacts group, then use File > Export > Export vCard.

Last edited by NaOH; 02-14-2012 at 03:26 AM.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
tw
Hall of Famer

mail gets its addresses from Address Book, and Address Book has the ability to export vcards. open Address Book, select all the card (cmd-A), and use the export function under the File menu.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
mail gets its addresses from Address Book, and Address Book has the ability to export vcards. open Address Book, select all the card (cmd-A), and use the export function under the File menu.

That will only export addresses that have explicitly been added to Address Book. If I send an email to someone that isn't in my Address Book, that information is stored in the Previous Recipients file. Yes, that file belongs to Address Book, but any addresses that aren't added by the user to Address Book won't be included when exporting a vCard.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
uzapuca
All Star

thanks for the good info guys. Actually Agenda is the Spanish name for Address Book. NaOH is right on when he says "That will only export addresses that have explicitly been added to Address Book"...that is actually my problem. Not all emails contacts have been added to my Address Book.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: