Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 01-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
kyle.lee@cln.com
Triple-A Player

iMac 17" flat panel hanging on white screen

Here is what I know:

512 megs ram
60 gig HD
1.0 Ghz
17" Display

Press power button, hear the boot chime' display lights up, fans come on, display goes black for a second, then lights up again, hard drive spins up and that's it. Display remains ultra bright. Will not boot from CD or DVD. Will not boot into safe, single user or any other mode.

Will boot into target disk mode. I have zapped pram, cannot get into open firmware. I have pressed the return key in hopes that a dialog window was waiting for input. Stuck.

Thanks,
Kyle
kyle.lee@cln.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
macosnoob
MVP

A couple of easy things to try:

1. Disconnect the power cord from the wall socket for half an hour, then plug it in again and try to boot up. Might work. If not,
2. Remove the bottom plate and carefully reset the PMU. There are detailed instructions and photos here: http://www.justanswer.com/mac-comput...-starting.html.
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
dandj
Major Leaguer

Try booting from an external backup drive or external DVD drive. Hold the Option key down while restarting to force booting from an external drive and then select the drive.

I've recently had a similar experience with a PowerBook, it was a faulty hard drive which prevented the internal DVD drive from working too.

Last edited by dandj; 02-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: