Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
marcnyc
All Star

iCloud sync question

I am confused about iCloud syncing.
I have an iPhone 4 and a Mac Book Pro. I don't have a Mobile Me account and I don't want it but I do have an Apple ID that I can use to log in at icloud.com
My iTunes is setup to sync contacts to iCloud.

I have added a contact on my Address Book app on the computer but I don't know how to force a sync of the Address Book app and iCloud.

I have the iPhone to sync automatically via wifi when connected to power.

I added the contact an hour ago and still don't see it at icloud.com or on the iPhone.
How will this syncing happen and when?
marcnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
docno
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc
I have added a contact on my Address Book app on the computer but I don't know how to force a sync of the Address Book app and iCloud.

You don't. It just happens

Quote:
I have the iPhone to sync automatically via wifi when connected to power.

Wrong sync. That sync does your apps, iTunes songs, videos, non-photostream pictures, etc. and contacts if you AREN'T using iCloud on your Mac...

Quote:
I added the contact an hour ago and still don't see it at icloud.com or on the iPhone. How will this syncing happen and when?

I suspect you haven't associated your iPhone with your iCloud account. And no, you aren't alone and no, it's not necessarily obvious so don't feel bad. Also rejoice in that you only have to do this once

Open the settings app. Tap on iCloud. Enter your iCloud username and password. Flip the appropriate switches for what you want synced. That's it! Within a few seconds if you have wifi and/or 3G signal your contacts and everything else should start populating!

Good luck!
docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
marcnyc
All Star

Thanks for your answer docno, but unfortunately the obvious answer is not always the right answer ;-)

I have iCloud enabled, I have all of the switches and the username/pw in there... My contacts ARE on iCloud.com but I don't see the NEW contact that I just added on my computer, neither on the iPhone, nor on iCloud.com
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
docno
Triple-A Player

Arrow

Quote:
I have iCloud enabled, I have all of the switches and the username/pw in there... My contacts ARE on iCloud.com but I don't see the NEW contact that I just added on my computer, neither on the iPhone, nor on iCloud.com

Aha - do you have iCloud enabled on your Mac, then? It has it's own sneaky System Preference now.

And if you do, trying turning it off, then back on. Or turn it off, reboot, turn back on. iCloud doesn't seem to have the same options for sync troubleshooting as Mobile Me for cleaning history, etc. so if none of the above works it's probably time for a call to Apple Care or some serious googling.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
marcnyc
All Star

where is the sneaky iCloud system preference? I don't see it anywhere in my system preferences window...
I'm on 10.6.8
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
I'm on 10.6.8

You need Lion 10.7.2.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
marcnyc
All Star

so does that mean that iCloud can only be used with Lion and therefore if I want my Address Book to be synced with my iPhone I should not use iCloud at all?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
benwiggy
League Commissioner

If you want to sync your data using iCloud, then you need iOS 5 on the phone or pad and Lion 10.7.2 on your Macs.

If you can't upgrade to Lion, or don't want to, then you'll need to find another method of syncing all your devices.

You can of course still sync your phone to the one Mac that it is normally linked to, in the usual way via iTunes. Or possibly even using the new WiFi syncing method.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
docno
Triple-A Player

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
You can of course still sync your phone to the one Mac that it is normally linked to, in the usual way via iTunes. Or possibly even using the new WiFi syncing method.

Sorry, long time Mobile.Me user which was available everywhere, I keep forgetting about the restrictions with iCloud

If you turn off iCloud on your iPhone, your contacts should sync over wifi as benwiggy points out.

Ugh - they really need to extend iCloud to 10.6 at least for syncing of contacts and other information. I can understand that the storage in iCloud is dependent on Versions that is in 10.7, but talk about cutting off a huge swath of users from the other great features of iCloud.

The good news is you can manually configure an iCloud email account without having to use the iCloud settings in iOS - but what a pain.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
marcnyc
All Star

ok, I have disabled iCloud backup and gone back to good old backup to computer... the one contact I had created on the computer now has been synced with the iPhone and appears in the iphone as well but now I have the opposite problem.
I created a contact on the iPhone and it doesn't get synced to the computer... I have even opened iSync and reset the sync history. What else can I do to fix this?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
docno
Triple-A Player

Arrow

Quote:
I created a contact on the iPhone and it doesn't get synced to the computer... I have even opened iSync and reset the sync history. What else can I do to fix this?

iSync isn't used any more. Just sync in iTunes or from inside the Settings -> General -> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync -> Sync Now and it should go from your iPhone up to your iTunes.

And since a contact synced from the computer to your iPhone you probably have contacts on as part of the sync, but if notice inside the iTunes Wi-Fi Sync screen in the iPhone settings, towards the bottom it will list all the things that will be synced by the Wi-Fi Sync - ensure Contacts is listed there with all the other stuff you want synced - if not you will have to visit the iPhone device in iTunes, go to that second tab and ensure Contacts are checked for syncing. You don't have to plug your iPhone in - unless you want it to sync faster since USB is faster than WiFi - but you can press Sync from right inside iTunes and it will start to immediately sync over Wifi if your iPhone is on and logged into your WiFi network.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
marcnyc
All Star

I have done all of these things but a contact I created on the phone is nowhere on the computer...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
docno
Triple-A Player

Arrow

Quote:
I have done all of these things but a contact I created on the phone is nowhere on the computer...

So let's start with the basics and work from there. First thing - in the iTunes Wi-Fi Sync screen in the settings app on your iPhone, contacts are one of the items listed - correct?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
marcnyc
All Star

if you are talking about Settings > iCloud then yes contacts is ON
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
seeloesix

At least for the devices:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2012 5:50 AM by bendermac

on your iphone/ipad/ipod touch open address book