Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
phillipwood
Prospect

Jaguar Signal 8 and FSCK

Hello,

Firstly I'm new here. In fact I'm a complete amateur on computers so please go easy on me.

I've been fortunate enough not to have any problems with my 2007 MacBook until now. I turned it on last week and for whatever reason, I was welcomed buy an unloading progress bar and the Apple logo. It never gets further than that, and switches it self off. I learned the ctrl+s/v option from a little digging and ran into the fsck command prompts from here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...70204093925888

The problem is it doesn't work for me. When I command: "sbin/fsck -fy" it says:
Disk Full Error
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

OK. I understand from the aforementioned link that this may happen. So I proceed and enter the commaned: umount /dev/disk0s2 it says this:
"Not currently mounted"
When I finally enter fsck_hfs -r(and I've done -f) /dev/disk0s2 I get:
Disk full error
The volume Mac HD could not be repaired.

Argh! I've tried to load/repeat/reboot and I've done this from the terminal screen so many times.

Does anyone have any tips or advice to get around this, perhaps I'm missing something glaringly obvious - I'll be the first to admit I have no idea really what I doing in command prompt mode - I'm just following gratefully, the advice posted elsewhere. If there's anyone who could help out, I'd be very thankful.

I don't have the OS X Leopard start disk anymore, I've moved house numerous times over the years. I've read that Disk Warrior could help, I'd rather use this as a last resort to preserve my - foolishly - unbacked up files.

Many thanks in advance.

Phillip.
phillipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

If I were you, I'd buy Disk Warrior and then install it on a friend's Mac. Then mount your Mac's drive on the friend's Mac using Firewire "target disk" mode and use Disk Warrior on the friend's Mac to repair your drive's filesystem.

But you might be able to proceed with your current method if you just removed some files in single-user mode (after enabling the disk for writability with: /sbin/mount -uw / ). I'm talking about removing some files from your home folder (under /Users) - e.g. remove some large movie files, etc to get some free space on the disk.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
phillipwood
Prospect

Thanks for taking out the time to reply, appreciate it.

I'll keep that in mind but sadly all my friends use Windows. In the meantime I've been advised to get into the disk utility and erase everything. Before I do so I'm using Time Machine to back up the files on a dusty external drive.

I had about 9gb space on my HD before it crashed so I'm surprised it says it's full. I've kept it at this level for some time (the whole macbook only holds 40gb).

Once TM has worked I'll erase everything via the disk utility and give it another go.

I'm unemployed at the moment so any way to fix it by not purchasing additional software is my priority.

Will keep you posted.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
phillipwood
Prospect

Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Sadly all my friends where I've moved are Windows users. I've spent a while looking around to see what else I can do and familiarise myself with command language.

I've managed to find a dusty external HD which I'm currently running to back up my Mac HD on Time Machine. Preceding this, I repaired my disk permissions. When I went to verify them, it said I couldn't and didn't have permission. Whilst a fan of irony, it wasn't what I wanted to see.

After my TimeMachine finishes I've been advised to Erase the Mac HD and start again. Not a problem but will it erase the OS too?

On another note, I'm also unsure on why it states I have a full HD when before it crashed I had at least 9GB left (its capacity is only 40gb).

Sadly I'm not very flush at the moment so any way I can circumvent paying out for software (I've already forked out for a new charger and battery thinking they were the cause before I knew about the single viewer mode) will be my main priority.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
hayne
Site Admin

Erasing the hard drive will erase everything (including the OS) and (as far as I know) you will need to install OS X from the Install DVD before you will be able to use your Time Machine backup.

By the way, the hard drive in a 2007 MacBook is likely due for replacement. Typical lifetimes for laptop drives is about 3 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: