Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
DiGiTY
Triple-A Player

Boot Camp: disk cannot be partitioned

I get the following error message when trying to make a 160 GB partition for Windows 7 on the 500 GB internal hard drive in Boot Camp 3.0.4 running on Snow Leopard (10.6.8):

Code:
The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.
The suggested solution would be a huge undertaking (time constraint) so I need another solution that will work and is faster.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

P.S. - Its a MacBook Pro (2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM) with 255 GB total available disk space and 94 GB estimated available on the Mac OS X partition after the proposed Windows 7 partition size (160 GB).
DiGiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
DiGiTY
Triple-A Player

I've had slight success by booting off the OS X 10.6 installation disc and repairing permissions & disk with Disk Utility - the Boot Camp progress now gets to about 50% before spitting the same error again (it previously only got to 1% before spitting that error).

With this development, any idea what the issue could be and how I can resolve it?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I hope I'm not being too obvious here...
As you have already said, the message tells you the problem: you have files on the drive that won't allow the partitioning, because, for whatever reason, they can't be moved, and the partitioning fails. (BTW - this is NOT a permissions issue, and a permissions repair simply wastes your time)
You might fix this by booting to a utility that will optimize (defrag) your hard drive - but the better method would be:
Quote:
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Or, wait to setup Windows until you have more time to deal with this properly.

Another possibility is to try a significantly smaller boot camp partition - maybe no more than 40 or 50 GB. If that's successful, then you can have your Windows to get past this time crunch. When you have more time - back up format, restore, and then Boot Camp again with the partition size that you really need.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
DiGiTY
Triple-A Player

You're right, I saw the problem as I was composing my question (but I posted anyway, just in case). Apparently the client had an old 94 GB Time Machine backup hidden in /Volumes/Data for some reason. Once I removed it to free up space I was able to successfully partition the drive using Boot Camp.

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: