Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
tculley
Prospect

Restoring from DMG

I've found myself in a bit of a rough spot. My Mac wouldn't boot because of a corrupt file system, so I used the Disk Utility in the Recovery HD that Lion gives you to make a backup dmg of my hard drive on an external drive. I then wiped the HD and did a clean install of lion. The only problem is, I have no idea how to restore the .dmg. I have tried using the disk utility and placing the dmg in the source field to restore to my HD (which results in a message that the dmg needs to be scanned, and then when I scan it, it gives me an error). I have also tried to use the entire partition on the external drive that the dmg is located. This actually seemed to work, it took about 2 hours and then said it was complete, except the only HD recognized as a boot device by my mac was the Recovery HD. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get my files back from the dmg I have or restore it to my new HD?

Thanks!
tculley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tculley
My Mac wouldn't boot because of a corrupt file system,

Please describe what happened here and how you fixed it in more detail.
Quote:
I have tried using the disk utility and placing the dmg in the source field to restore to my HD (which results in a message that the dmg needs to be scanned, and then when I scan it, it gives me an error)

What is the error message?
Quote:
the only HD recognized as a boot device by my mac was the Recovery HD.

Is the external formatted correctly to be an Apple boot device -- GUID partition scheme?

My first thoughts is that your hard drive is faulty and may need replacing. That would explain the initial corruption and the problems with the DMG image not working properly.
Verify and Repair the drive (NB drive, not permissions) and check the SMART status in Disk Utility.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
tculley
Prospect

The problem started when I restarted my mac after being in my windows partition. I help the option key to select my Mac HD, and it would just get stuck at the apple logo and never load. I left it on overnight, still stuck on the apple logo.

I tried to verify and repair the disk, even from single user mode, to no avail. So I simply clicked on my Macintosh HD, and made a new image out of it onto an external HD.

The error message I am receiving is first it says that the disk image must be scanned, so I click Scan Image. When I do that it says unable to scan (resource busy).

On my Macintosh HD it says smart status verified and GUID partition table. On my external HD it says SMART status Not Supported and GUID partition table.

I'm using the mac fine right now on my clean install, just need to get my files back.
tculley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Foda

Re: restoring from DMG

Ok, I think I figured this one out. I am installing a new HD in my MacBook and made an image of my old drive first, then tried to restore the image on my new blank partition, but got the same error you did.

After playing around for a few minutes, I found the FILE --> OPEN DISK IMAGE option in the menu. This mounted the disk image, and I now seem to be able to use the mounted DMG from the lower left side of the window as the source for my restore.

Good luck!

Tags
restore dmg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: