Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
OSXdude
Triple-A Player

Question Real-Time Scrolling Apache Connection Log Viewer?

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of transferring all of our domains from our aging WebSTAR server to the Bitnami WordPress stack, which, as you may know, is an easy, self-contained installation which includes recent versions of Apache, mySQL, PHP and the latest version of WordPress. I supposed that it is similar to MAMP Pro.

While I am seriously contemplating making this move permanent due to the advantages which are to be gained, there is one major issue which is holding me back from making a complete jump to the Bitnami WordPress stack, and that is this:

The WebSTAR server suite includes a monitor app which displays an on-screen, scrolling connection log window in real time. In other words, with each new connection, the data automatically scrolls towards the top of the window. I currently have the log tokens set to display date, time, status code, IP address, user agent and path and file accessed.

The server machine sits right next to my personal computer, so that all I have to do is glance over in order to see what is occurring on the server in real time. It is extremely convenient, as not only can I tell the minute that our Internet connection is lost, or the server goes down, but I can also quickly detect 404 errors, hacking attempts, etc. As I said, the screen automatically scrolls in real time.

Having to forsake the Monitor app is a very tough decision for me.

So, what I am hoping for, and looking for, is a Macintosh app which will run on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11, and which will do the exact same thing with the log file that will be generated by the Apache server that is included in the Bitnami stack.

I know that there are log analyzers such as Sawmill and AWstats, but that is not what I am looking for. I'm not looking for something which generates static reports that you manually scroll and view in your web browser.

I want something that works just like WebSTAR's "Monitor" app; that is, which is on-screen, and which automatically scrolls in real time displaying all connections for all domains.

I know that this is a tall order, but is anyone here aware of such an app? Again, it must work on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 PPC.

I was even wondering if there is some way that the WebSTAR Monitor app's prefs could somehow be changed so that it could connect to the Apache server, just as it now does with the WebSTAR web server.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
SirDice
MVP

There's a really simple command that pretty much does what you want. It's called tail(1).

Use it like so:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
There's also mtail which can produce colored output. I haven't checked but it might be in fink or macports. But even if it isn't, it only requires python so it should be easy to set up. You can define what gets what color. In your case I'd make the lines with 404s red and the others green, or something like that.

Last edited by SirDice; 07-13-2011 at 01:53 AM.
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
OSXdude
Triple-A Player

Hello. Thanks for the tip. The tail command does in fact work on my OS X Tiger machine, not only with the log file for my Bitnami WordPress stack, but even with my WebSTAR server as well, once I set the right path in the Terminal.

I also downloaded the mtail binary, but I am not certain how to install it, how to configure the colors, or how to use it. I image that I would simply use "mtail" in the command line, instead of just "tail", but other than that, I am a bit lost. The documentation provided by the developer is very minimalistic, and appears to be geared towards Windows users.

Also, whether I use tail or mtail, is there a way to organize the log tokens differently? I want to arrange them the same way as they are in my WebSTAR log.

Or is this something that needs to be done somewhere in an Apache config file?

Well, I just sent an email to the mtail developer. Let's see if he has time to write back.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
OSXdude
Triple-A Player

Is it possible to use tail or mtail to display a log file that is located on another machine on our LAN? If so, exactly how would I prefix the terminal command?

Thanks!

BTW, I got mtail to work on my iMac -- as well as on my G4 mini-tower -- by placing the binary in usr/bin. However, for now, it is just a simple black and white display, because I am not sure exactly how the config file is supposed to be named, or where it is supposed to be placed for that matter. But it is working, and the log is scrolling automatically. I also still need to figure out how to rearrange the order of the log tokens.

Tags
apache, connection log, real time, scrolling, viewer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: