Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
helentroy
Prospect

Question iMac G5 won't start/boot up

Hi- hope I'm in right section for my question?
I've a iMac G5 (iSight) 17"/1.9/512MB/160GB (Tiger 10.4.11) and when I tried to switch it on yesterday the screen stayed black- no chimes- but there was a very tiny motor sound (don't know if drive or cooling motor) and the power light was on/white so I know power was getting through. After minute+ the cooling fan motors powered up full blast but nothing else. I couldn't switch off using the on/off switch and had to cut power off at plug.
So far I've had a go at starting with Safe Mode - holding shift key when switching power button and holding Apple+Alt+R and P keys while switching power on- but nothings different.
I have no idea what to do...So if anyone has an idea what's happened and if it can it be fixed (hard drive files retrieved at the very least) then very much appreciated as you can bet this has happened at probably the worst time (doesn't it always?).
helentroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

To retrieve the data from your hard drive, you could use "target disk mode" and connect to another Mac with FireWire: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
helentroy
Prospect

iMac G5 won't start/boot up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
To retrieve the data from your hard drive, you could use "target disk mode" and connect to another Mac with FireWire: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Hi Hayne
I think I understand. Will look into it and see what Mac I can get hold of with firewire and give it a try as the one I'm borrowing while I sort myself only has USB ports (Macbook 2.26 GHz 2GB). Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
agentx
Hall of Famer

The G5 iMacs had a high failure rate due to bad Capacitors and Power supplies. This symptoms point to this. http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...90314071508354

If Target Disk Mode does not work then you will have to remove hard disk and use an external cradle or enclosure to recover data.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
helentroy
Prospect

iMac G5 won't start/boot up

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
The G5 iMacs had a high failure rate due to bad Capacitors and Power supplies. This symptoms point to this. http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...90314071508354

If Target Disk Mode does not work then you will have to remove hard disk and use an external cradle or enclosure to recover data.

Hi agentx
Thanks for your imput.
Managed to get mates old PowerBook G4 with FireWire and set it up but as the iMac G5 is totally unresponsive (and no chimes- all I can do is switch it on/off with a 5sec hold) - I can't get it into Target Disc Mode to then access it's files via the PowerBook. Am assuming that was what I was supposed to try and do.
So...I read the link/article. I had no idea there was an issue with the capacitors. Is it something a 'beginner' can easily check out to see if that's what happened?
I got the iMac in Feb '06 and It's been starting to get 'temperamental' over the last couple of years - recently it was constantly quitting programs etc. Trust my luck that I missed the gratis repair deadline if this is the capacitors- so I should be grateful for 5 years.
It's one thing now having to retrieve the data and another getting my head around the cost of replacing everything + programs and starting from scratch again. Sorry for moan- it's been a bit of a loong weekend.....
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
agentx
Hall of Famer

You will have to open up iMac and take hard disk out fairly easy on this one.
You then will be able to get data if you get a USB to SATA adapter or external enclosure.

Inside the iMac there are 4 green lights on Logic Baord that should be on...if it is working which it is not.
http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/2...board+indicate
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
helentroy
Prospect

Thanks agentx
I will check out the various links info.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

If your iMac G5 has the iSight camera on the front bezel - you will find it's extraordinarily challenging to open up.
The iMac G5 is basically two generations. One is very easy to open up and remove the hard drive - maybe 5 minutes to remove completely.
The newer, isight models have the front bezel to remove, then open the inside foil covering, and remove the LCD panel. If you have done this before, about 30 minutes to an hour. If you have not done this type of job - take to a service shop and pay them to do it.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
wendell
Triple-A Player

Regarding the capacitors, if you can get to the component side of the PC board, look for a greenish corrosion around the base of the aluminum surface-mount capacitors. More bad news is they are very difficult to replace.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
helentroy
Prospect

Thanks for your comments DeltaMac and wendell
I'm thinking that I have the very last/2nd gen of the iMac G5 as the next one was the Intel- so looks like I got the difficult one.
And if I did managed to get it open I see from the vids of 'how to' that it is very difficult (and not a job for a beginner like me). Not sure what best to do yet.

Ps: out of curiosity- can you get the correct replacement capacitors in uk?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #11
agentx
Hall of Famer

If you really want to get it fixed which will probably cost around 200-300 as it could be power supply as well as Caps then try this company they are cool guys in UK for out of warranty parts and repairs. http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/

http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-t...le-imac-g5.php
http://www.instructables.com/id/Imac...citors-repair/

You really need the right tools to fix and be very good at electronic soldering etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
roger
Prospect

I have the same model iMac and shortly after Applecare ran out, it did the very same thing; light on but dead screen. Thinking it was dead, I bought a new mac. After the iMac had sat unplugged about a month, I decided on a whim to see if it would start up, and it did!! this was in late 2008/early 2009 and it's been running fine ever since. don't give up on it yet!
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Sumleilmus
MVP

get it fixed?

If you think you want to get it fixed, consider to think more. My iMac G5, codename Lazarus, was twice resuscitated, but walked less than a mile before dying again.

I can't even sell it for parts, because the parts people want from it are the ones that are toasted.

If you fix it, never consider it reliable again, and institute multiple complementary backup strategies immediately.

You were lucky it took this long to die.
10.9.3 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 4core, 2008)
Sumleilmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
helentroy
Prospect

Thanks for suggestion agentx. It seems they don't sell the capacitors but can get them repaired. But it doesn't look like it will make sense to go the repair route as I need that cash towards the replacement.

Seeing as it's not going anywhere fast- I'll give Roger's suggestion a go and try to switch it on- maybe I'll have a miracle

But I agree with Sumleilmus that it would still never be trusted. I had backed up most of my important files but was in the process of making sure I had copies of my photos and music when it went awol so I think seeing how to get the hard drive data retrieved is maybe the thing to do. If I'm not worried about putting it back together again maybe that is do-able for me?
But......
Assuming it is the capacitors and (poss) power supply, then I'm also assuming that it's not now possible for the screen to be used as a monitor for another mac....unless it is repaired. And so back to the beginning again.

Did Apple ever openly acknowledge a problem with the capacitors/power supply or was it left as a don't know/don't ask/don't get it sorted situation? If anyone knows then I'm rather curious now.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
agentx
Hall of Famer

Yes Apple knew about it and provided an extended repair warranty.
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

I have had several fixed by Apple but 50% of them failed outside the extended warranty (2008 ish) and as such they were end of life (5 years) and Intel processors had made their stamp and blew the PPC's out of the water.

I seriously recommend not bothering fixing as well really.

Cant use it as a monitor as (more than likely) the PSU and logic board have failed(or the caps on board).

Anyway get the hard disk out, very likely all your data is fine. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
helentroy
Prospect

Thanks agentx.

I have to agree with comments and think it's time to let this one go.

If it looked like the rest of it could be useful for parts or whatever by someone then I'd ask around to see if someone would be up for swapping their labour for getting the drive out and usable (I'd pay for what's extra needed of course) and they have the rest of the imac that's salvage- but from what's been said, it probably wouldn't be much use to someone now anyway.

But if I can get the hard disk accessed and working that would be something worth doing.
Looks like I'll be back soon asking for advice on what I need (USB to SATA adapter or external enclosure etc..etc ?) and where best to get in UK. I've never ever attempted any computer/mac DIY before.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
agentx
Hall of Famer

Indeed it is very little use to anyone nowadays.
Find a friend who is not "scared" and check out ifixit.com
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/i...lacement/962/1.

Any Mac engineer could do this job in 1/2-1 hour. Or you could book in at an Apple Store and ask them to take disk out for you, recycle the mac, maybe get a discount. Worth a go.

i would suggest buying this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/sata-hard-dr...station-222999
Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
helentroy
Prospect

Good links and sound advice agentx.
I think it's important to get as much info and be aware of options to help solve the problem and then decide which route to take.

Everyone's imput re my question has helped.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: